Jason Witten planning on retiring

49erurtaza

43 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

There were a few years when he was arguably the best TE in football. His all around game from receiving to blocking was near perfect. The majority of people usually only look at the receiving numbers when judging a TE. But Witten did everything asked of him and he did it at an elite level.

The blocking angle is a good argument - nowadays too many TE's are move TE's, basically glorified WR's.   

It's too bad we haven't advanced blocking evaluation to a widely accepted metric.  Like baseball finally started the recognizing the value of walks, on-base percentage, and defence, the other non-catch related aspects of the game matter.   Because they aren't easily quantifiable, though, it's a much tougher sell.   Frankly, it's why we also see guys from winning teams get in - because while it's not even close to attribute-able (is that a word?   I feel like it might not be lol) to 1 guy, it's easily measured. 

It's going to be an interesting debate - on the one hand, you have the total stats.  And he was a true inline TE for a long time.    Those are the pro arguments.  The cons are going to be that he was more of a compiler, and there were more dominant guys at different times in his career, so he rarely stood out.   And for better or worse, the mediocrity of the DAL teams doesn't give him the bump that playing on the Aikman 'Boys, or the 70's Steelers, did for those guys.    

33 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

It's going to be an interesting debate - on the one hand, you have the total stats.  And he was a true inline TE for a long time.    Those are the pro arguments.  The cons are going to be that he was more of a compiler, and there were more dominant guys at different times in his career, so he rarely stood out.   And for better or worse, the mediocrity of the DAL teams doesn't give him the bump that playing on the Aikman 'Boys, or the 70's Steelers, did for those guys.

I'm going to dispute that last part on two grounds:

1. While those Dallas teams were mediocre, Jason Witten was arguably one of the main faces of the franchise. He was a major draw for the Cowboys.
  2. Given that he played his entire career in Dallas, the Dallas rep in the voting room is going to banging the table for Witten. Hard.

I don't think he gets in on his first try, but I would be somewhat surprised if he isn't in by 2028 (4th ballot, if I did my math right).

54 minutes ago, TheFinisher said:

He's 4th All-Time in catches in NFL history only behind Rice, Gonzalez and Fitzgerald.  And he was arguably a better blocker than receiver.

How is this a question?

When fans of the divisional rivals are celebrating his retirement/saying he should be in the Hall of Fame, you're right, this shouldn't require much thought.

22 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Dude, type in "Witten timing" on Twitter, you'll see many Cowboy fans who said as much even 4 days ago.  And that's not even counting the ones who called in this AM on XM. They aren't representative of the majority I'm sure - but I never said that, either.   Like @Woz said, even one is one too many.  That's all I said.   

FWIW, I'd say the same about how DAL treating Dez as for my Broncos treating CJ Anderson the same way, teams do this all the time - it's the take that somehow a player can't do the same to a team that's unfounded.  Not a single person should have this take, given how team-friendly NFL contracts are.     

SMH @ the saltiness. 

I wasn't salty my man. When you are a cowboys fan you have to stomp the lies early before it gets wild. Just doing my part.

And those aren't real fans in our eyes as diehards. We have real respect for the time & effort 82 put in to his craft for the past 15 years.

Jason Witten was a role model to me on and off the field growing up. When he decided to hang it up, every real fan knew he gave us everything he had. No question. No doubt in my mind.

13 hours ago, TheFinisher said:

He's 4th All-Time in catches in NFL history only behind Rice, Gonzalez and Fitzgerald.  And he was arguably a better blocker than receiver.

How is this a question?

Probably the same people who think Fantasy Football is the end all be all and true measurement of a players worth.

On 5/4/2018 at 10:13 PM, Nabbs4u said:

Probably the same people who think Fantasy Football is the end all be all and true measurement of a players worth.

Even by that metric, Witten was always a "fire and forget" kind of tight end. Would he Gronk you 20 points? No, but you could consistently count on him getting solid numbers regardless of the matchup.

Archived