Trent brown traded to Patriots

49erurtaza

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

Daniels? I love the guy as a prospect, have a hard time envisioning us going after him at this point.

Yeah, there's no reason to spend meaningful draft capital on Daniels with Richburg just signed to a fresh 5 year contract. I like Daniels a lot as a prospect, but fit does matter, he's a center, and the 49ers already have a large investment at that position. Not gonna happen.

One thing I would watch out for is us trading up over Dallas for Sutton. They're basically locked into him in the second round from everything we have heard, and there was talk early in the draft process that the 49ers liked Sutton at the combine and several mocks had us taking him in round one at various points. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

One thing I would watch out for is us trading up over Dallas for Sutton. They're basically locked into him in the second round from everything we have heard, and there was talk early in the draft process that the 49ers liked Sutton at the combine and several mocks had us taking him in round one at various points. 

I'm a fan of Sutton but I wouldn't want to trade up for him. Got other holes to fill.

For those of you who might be curious about what round pick we might have been abe to get for him in a straight trade the difference in points between what we gave up and what we got is the equivalent of a high 4th. That sounds just about right under the circumstances. We move on and get up an extra third and NE gets to rent a good OT to help their 2018 SB run.

14 minutes ago, Forge said:

Shanny seems to after an awful lot of guys that are similar in skills and even physical build to guys he had at Atlanta.  A good, big WR might just be a piece he'd want to add to this offense.

42 minutes ago, Forge said:

That would be a big mistake IMO. Chalk should be the guy they have their sights on. His ceiling is higher and has the that separation speed Kyle covets from his WRs. Not a big Sutton fan myself but if he is there with no trade up, I wouldn't be too bothered. But in no way, would I trade up for him. 

Just now, 757-NINER said:

That would be a big mistake IMO. Chalk should be the guy they have their sights on. His ceiling is higher and has the that separation speed Kyle covets from his WRs. Not a big Sutton fan myself but if he is there with no trade up, I wouldn't be too bothered. But in no way, would I trade up for him. 

Let me be clear, don't expect it to happen, but if we really did like him, and the rumors on Dallas / Sutton are true (and I think most think that they are), we would definitely need to trade up in order to secure it. I agree that is not a trade I would make happen. I'm perfectly content with other receivers in the middle rounds, and i've said before, I actually find our skill position guys to be largely okay. I have no issue with heading into the season as we are currently constructed. I don't think we are a bottom half of the NFL offense right now. 

I hope they don't trade up today. This draft has a deep pool of talent on day two, and the team is still thin enough that I think it's worthwhile to simply go the Belichick route, and throw as many darts as possible. LB, Edge, CB, WR...still tons of places on the roster where young, talented depth is needed.

45 minutes ago, Ronnie's Pinky said:

I hope they don't trade up today. This draft has a deep pool of talent on day two, and the team is still thin enough that I think it's worthwhile to simply go the Belichick route, and throw as many darts as possible. LB, Edge, CB, WR...still tons of places on the roster where young, talented depth is needed.

I think the depth on Day 2 personally is in the 2nd/early 3rd. I've always thought this was the deepest portion of this draft. In the late 3rd - I think we're just finding development bodies we can still find later as well. 

One thing I've been thinking - #70 + #95 can get us up to around #54 while still keeping #59. Depends on who continues to fall that far, that might be an area where I'd want to trade up. Oliver, Landry, Hernandez, Jackson...some good talent left. 

8 hours ago, Ronnie's Pinky said:

I want Dante Pettis. He's a guy that can separate, is excellent at gaining yards after the catch, and he's a great punt returner.

Wow! I got my wish...that's a rarity. I think the last time I correctly called a player the 49ers would draft (and that I actually wanted), it was Vernon Davis. Dope.  I think Pettis is going to be really good. He's got a natural feel for the game that you can't teach.

Just now, Ronnie's Pinky said:

Wow! I got my wish...that's a rarity. I think the last time I correctly called a player the 49ers would draft (and that I actually wanted), it was Vernon Davis. Dope.  I think Pettis is going to be really good. He's got a natural feel for the game that you can't teach.

I had Vernon and Pat dead right and coveted them at the time. Not one since.

5 minutes ago, JIllg said:

I had Vernon and Pat dead right and coveted them at the time. Not one since.

I had both Vernon and Manny in 2006, Willis in 2007, Crabtree in 2009, Trenton Robinson in 2012, Corey Lemonier and Marcus Lattimore in 2013,  andTartt in 2015 (a few rounds early). Some good in there. 

• 2 weeks later...

• The Niners were trying to trade right tackle Trent Brown all spring. New England got it done on draft weekend, acquiring a potential starter at a need position. The Niners just didn’t think Brown, a big masher, was a system fit for them in a zone-rushing offense. But until the Patriots stepped up, they couldn’t find a trading partner.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/05/07/peter-king-sports-illustrated-nbc-mmqb

No wonder Maiocco was adamant that Brown wasn't going to receive a contract extension in SF lol. 

Archived