Witten to retire after 15 seasons

D82

3 minutes ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

I don't think I will ever forgive Jerry for not doing enough to get Romo, Ware and Witten a ring.

I was happy to see Ware get one...even if it was with Denver. 

The fact Romo and Witten will never get one...that hurts. 

Witten did it the right way.  A leader on and off the field.  Absolutely tough as nails.  By his own admission he wasn't flashy but no one was going to out work him.  He'll be missed on the field but more so in the locker room.  Sure fire first ballot hall of famer.  One of my all time favs.  Nothing but class and respect.

I'm reflecting here.  We will often say that we hate certain teams and/or players.  Hopefully it's emotion getting the best of us.  But if you love this game then you have to appreciate the players who make it great, regardless of who they play for.  Remember it's the quality of the opponent that makes you rise up and accomplish things you didn't think you were capable of.

We may "hate" players or teams at a moment in time.  If you are as old as I am you can remember how great those Steeler teams of the 70's were.  Hated them then.  But now I reflect on how privileged I was to watch one of the all time great teams.  That Steel Curtain was something else.  Even the 49ers.  Walsh was a genius.  Montana was a surgeon and as cool under pressure as you will see.  Ronnie Lott.  Badly injures a finger.  Is told it will require surgery and pins will have to be inserted.  His response - cut the tip off I'm not missing any time.  I know Coach Landry had great admiration for Lott.  How can I forget LT?  An absolute one man wrecking crew for the Giants.  I could go on and on.

Where am I going with this?  Regardless of the team you support if you don't appreciate Jason Witten and how he played this game, and how he became a leader in his clubhouse and community, then you don't appreciate the game.

I remember the first time I saw Jason Witten. My Dad looked over at me and said, "I really like this new TE." I was living with my Dad at the time because I was only 16 years old. Dak Prescott was 10. I turn 31 tomorrow. Witten is my wife's favorite player. The jaw wired shut. The no helmet play. The 3rd downs. The year in year out consistency. From Witten vs. TonyG comparrison threads to helping a young frantic rookie Dak in 2016 beat the Eagles on the last play. He, like Emmitt Smith, is a huge part of my fandom. I'm just glad he retired a Cowboy, and should go down with Mr. Cowboy as one of the pillars of our organization. 

First time I realized Witten was the real deal...was Romos first season as starter, when he took over for Bledsoe, and it qas at the Giants here in NY, super cold game, winds swirling. I was there with a girl I was dating, who happened to be a Giants fan.

Was something like 0:40 to go in the fourth, a timeout left,down by 1 or 2. Romo drops back,he breaks a sack, and delivers an outstanding pinpoint throw to Witten, who ran the crispest seam route trampling over a linebacker on the press and getting on the safeties, just as old Bill used to say, and caught a hard to catch throw between coverage, bringing the team into .. I think Billy Cundiff's range for the winning kick. 

That game was only a peek into the Romo-Witten connection that would give DCs fits for the better part of a decade.

9 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Being the #2 TE in yards and receptions behind only Tony Gonzales the year before wasn’t enough to convince you? 

Nope! Anyone can have a great year. Look at Miles Austin for example

But when I saw Witten run that precise of a route, at that size, with that determination at that crucial of a moment in the game during a crucial game with playoffs looming...thats when I knew.

Archived