Witten to retire after 15 seasons

D82

5 hours ago, Dallas94Ware said:

Nope! Anyone can have a great year. Look at Miles Austin for example

But when I saw Witten run that precise of a route, at that size, with that determination at that crucial of a moment in the game during a crucial game with playoffs looming...thats when I knew.

“Anyone can have a good season. But a good play? Only legends can do that.”

9 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

“Anyone can have a good season. But a good play? Only legends can do that.”

You must be bored trying this hard to troll.

It was the complete body of work to that point, and witnessing that play, at that moment, that proved to me how good he was truly going to be. Not just the single play, not just the single season, but the combination dof everything to that point topped off by that perfect route, at the perfect time, at such a crucial time of game and season...it was the staple that hung the sign, the final signature on the picasso, the last bit of enamel on the model car. That final touch that just simply said this hasnt been a hoax, and you better expect this for a long time.

46 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

This is a fantastic. Little different view of Witt's presentation of Y option

I remember a few years ago, maybe... 5? 6? When I broke down Garrett's offense and the key plays of his system, in a thread on this forum. And I wrote about Wittens split option. Y option, whatever they decide to call it based on system terminology. Anyway...

I believe the words I used went something like, Wittens ability to plant and turn at his size vs LBs makes this nearly unstoppable against zone or man. That this play was responsible for a very high percentage of conversions on third and long.

And indeed it was - no one did it better than Witten.

And how he broke down and emphasized the importance of OTHER players and the key factors involved...man, this team lost a hell of a coach when Romo retired, and another when Witten retired. Both should have gone on to lead this team beyond their time on field. Sad, when you consider guys like Gurode and Austin work in the scouting department but these guys couldnt be given a coaching role to learn their keep on.

On 5/10/2018 at 9:05 PM, Dallas94Ware said:

I remember a few years ago, maybe... 5? 6? When I broke down Garrett's offense and the key plays of his system, in a thread on this forum. And I wrote about Wittens split option. Y option, whatever they decide to call it based on system terminology. Anyway...

I believe the words I used went something like, Wittens ability to plant and turn at his size vs LBs makes this nearly unstoppable against zone or man. That this play was responsible for a very high percentage of conversions on third and long.

And indeed it was - no one did it better than Witten.

And how he broke down and emphasized the importance of OTHER players and the key factors involved...man, this team lost a hell of a coach when Romo retired, and another when Witten retired. Both should have gone on to lead this team beyond their time on field. Sad, when you consider guys like Gurode and Austin work in the scouting department but these guys couldnt be given a coaching role to learn their keep on.

Aikman has good football IQ too. Maybe one of them can become a coach in the future. Witten and Romo seem like they'd be good OCs.

21 hours ago, the lone star said:

Aikman has good football IQ too. Maybe one of them can become a coach in the future. Witten and Romo seem like they'd be good OCs.

The year Romo was hurt at rhe end of season and McGee finished out the final few games, Romo wore a headset and carried a playchat and clipboard. He said several times during that period that "it actually felt natural" to be in on the playcalling and that he could see himself running an offense in the future, even going so far as to say he "would talk to Jerry about it" when the time comes.

I guess the broadcast booth paid more?

7 hours ago, Dallas94Ware said:

The year Romo was hurt at rhe end of season and McGee finished out the final few games, Romo wore a headset and carried a playchat and clipboard. He said several times during that period that "it actually felt natural" to be in on the playcalling and that he could see himself running an offense in the future, even going so far as to say he "would talk to Jerry about it" when the time comes.

I guess the broadcast booth paid more?

Yeah, I'm sure it pays more, plus there are unique perks to the job too. Obviously there are unique perks to coaching, but maybe he just preferred broadcasting. Get some face time, establish some credence with viewers, build up some hype around his name, drive up the price for his services, and then got lured into coaching for a team. That could be his plan. We'll see.

I believe the relationship between Romo and this organization was not in a good enough place to make a transition to coaching work.  But yes Romo has shown he would be a excellent qb coach or offensive coordinator 

4 hours ago, quiller said:

I believe the relationship between Romo and this organization was not in a good enough place to make a transition to coaching work.  But yes Romo has shown he would be a excellent qb coach or offensive coordinator 

Exactly. Romo, like anyone is going to need some time away from this team. He doesn't want to be Daks coach. I'm sure that'd be weird for both guys.

1 hour ago, DaBoys said:

Exactly. Romo, like anyone is going to need some time away from this team. He doesn't want to be Daks coach. I'm sure that'd be weird for both guys.

He pretty much was Dak's coach. Romo is a sincere good guy (Ever read the story of him helping an old couple while he was driving back from a game, only for them to tell him, after he thought they didnt know him, that that theyre glad he didnt spoil the results for them because they were to watch the Tivo later)

He took the loss of his job hard, but you never saw him stop helping on the sideline. He was side by side with Dak, going over photos on the tablet, calls, talking and explaining. Im sure that extended into the locker room, the weight room, meeting room, etc. 

Also, even though we as fans think Romo was 'done dirty', be honest here - he was aging, very hefty priced, two major injuries, and he wasnt getting any more vigorous. He, and we, knew the writing was on the wall sooner than later and to be even more honest, he had to have known business would catch up to football soon also. Im sure itnhurt but it couldnt have been unexpected, and Im certain he still loves the team. I think his decision not to coach is more a testament to the high pay of a broadcaster vs the lower pay and humongous grind that is coaching at any level of the tree.

2 hours ago, Dallas94Ware said:

Name me 9 better.

I know this wasn't directed at me, but I was going to just mention Gonzalez and maybe Gates? But I never got to see Ditka or Winslow or any of those guys play. So just based on the past 20 years or so, that's all I got.

Archived