49ers Trent Brown traded to Patriots

49erurtaza

3 hours ago, Forge said:

He's a great pass protecting tackle, yes. The over weight thing depends - He's definitely a big dude (330-340's), and some teams are probably going to be okay  with that, but not so much a team like the 49ers that runs a scheme predicated on movement lol. He's on the last year of his deal, but this could work for the Pats in a way it doesn't for us. A comp pick was never going to be in the offing for us after losing him in FA...if the Pats are going to be frugal, they could get a decent comp pick for him. That contract is a 7th round rookie deal though, so he's cheap this year at the very least. 

I wasn't being negative about him merely parroting what had been said. I've seen countless Niner fans including family be negative about him. Most of the time it starts with a "he's great but..". Just amusing to see him called great then follow up with a list of negatives.

1 minute ago, NVRamsFan said:

I wasn't being negative about him merely parroting what had been said. I've seen countless Niner fans including family be negative about him. Most of the time it starts with a "he's great but..". Just amusing to see him called great then follow up with a list of negatives.

Well, you know, we have to neg the guy we just traded LOL

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Well, you know, we have to neg the guy we just traded LOL

See Rams fans are the opposite most of the time. We hated on Ogletree most of last year along with Quinn. Then they get traded and Rams fans want to put them in Canton.

5 hours ago, Knowledge said:

What about that Jimmy G trade doe? 

That was Belichick schooling Kraft and Brady and rewarding Jimmy. Showing them how good Jimmy Would be in a good system. 

Belichick is vendictive when he makes trades. Why do you think he exiled Jamie Collins to the Browns mid season 

Bottom line with this trade is that Shanahan didn't like Brown for whatever reason (scheme fit, being fat, etc.), and the team knew that his contract next spring would be a hand grenade. They don't really want him, but he's too good to give up for nothing, and they're planning on being active again next year in free agency (which would torpedo his comp. pick value). Kyle saw a young tackle that he liked in the draft, took him, and got off of Brown while the getting was good. There was a real need at OT anyway because Joe Staley isn't getting any younger. Brown has a lot of ability, but snagging a 3rd round pick in this draft (even at the cost of an extra 5th) is a fine return in my eyes.

Pats took a swing at one year of cheap potential production from a very talented guy at a position of need who they probably also won't re-sign (it's possible, but Brown really doesn't strike me as the type of player Belichick would give a big contract to). He'll probably end up on the Browns, or somewhere like that. I don't think dude's gonna have a long peak because of his size, and the way he takes care of himself, or doesn't. I think whoever signs him to the big-money contract he's likely to get next year will regret that decision. If New England doesn't really spend much in free agency (wouldn't surprise me), they ought to get a good comp. pick out of Brown, so they win big if Brown shows out this year, even if they then let him walk. I think there's a good chance of that happening, and Belichick getting the better of this trade. Thing is, this was probably the best return on Brown the team could get, so I can't complain about it as a 49ers fan.

tl;dr - it's a win for both teams in terms of getting value out of their assets, but is probably better for New England. I like trading with the Patriots.

Archived