49ers trade Trent Brown to Patriots

49erurtaza

3 hours ago, TomRalph said:

Cannon: Coming off a season ending injury, been awful at LT

Has been one of the best right tackles in the league and has yet to try playing left tackle after his renaissance. He’ll probably stay on the right.

Garcia: Never played a snap in the NFL, coming off a very serious career threatening injury. 

He’s about back up to playing weight and should be all-go to participate in the offseason activities. Presents upside having been more immersed than a rookie would.

Waddle: Career back-up who played averagely for us at both spots

Career backup but he’s played really well when asked to start. 

Brown: Coming off a serious injury and has serious weight concerns

Weight concerns - according to 9ers fans - are a frequent issue with him, but every season he’s been at playing weight and a good, young tackle.

Wynn: 6'2" Rookie

6’3 at the combine. Has good length for a taller tackle. Has the best film of any tackle in either of the last two drafts against great competition. 

I wish I could share your optimism

I’m not thinking all guys will be hits, but IMO it’s hard to be upset about where the position is right now. Especially given how it was just a few days ago. 

17 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

Has been one of the best right tackles in the league and has yet to try playing left tackle after his renaissance. He’ll probably stay on the right.

He’s about back up to playing weight and should be all-go to participate in the offseason activities. Presents upside having been more immersed than a rookie would.

Career backup but he’s played really well when asked to start. 

Weight concerns - according to 9ers fans - are a frequent issue with him, but every season he’s been at playing weight and a good, young tackle.

6’3 at the combine. Has good length for a taller tackle. Has the best film of any tackle in either of the last two drafts against great competition. 

I’m not thinking all guys will be hits, but IMO it’s hard to be upset about where the position is right now. Especially given how it was just a few days ago. 

Agreed

depth and flexibility, all you can ask for

6 hours ago, TomRalph said:

Major issues.

You can feel as pessimistic as you’d like, the team has three players who have shown NFL ability - and they’ll be healthy by the time the season starts - and two promising young players - one of which is one of the best to have come out in the last couple years - all vying for two spots. Also being coached by one of the best positional coaches in the league in Scar. 

No one’s saying it’s a clear shot and there won’t be any issues, but there’s really no reason to be doom and gloom at this point in the offseason.

5 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

You can feel as pessimistic as you’d like, the team has three players who have shown NFL ability - and they’ll be healthy by the time the season starts - and two promising young players - one of which is one of the best to have come out in the last couple years - all vying for two spots. Also being coached by one of the best positional coaches in the league in Scar. 

No one’s saying it’s a clear shot and there won’t be any issues, but there’s really no reason to be doom and gloom at this point in the offseason.

Where does this OL rank in the NFL?

Wynn - Thuney - Andrews - Mason - Cannon

Back-Ups: Waddle, Tobin, Croston

It's certainly not Top 10 and a team aiming for Super Bowls should be aiming for any position group to be better than Top 10. 

On 4/27/2018 at 7:47 PM, Yin-Yang said:

Yes. That's why as a niners fan I don't wonder if the conditioning aspect of this is overblown. Clearly the FO and the staff hated dealing with this all the time, but he was always fine when the season started up. Just no way was he ever a fit for a ZBS movement scheme. If you're okay with your tackle being in that 350 range, there have been no major issues here with his weight when the season rolls around. Just may have to go through the process of getting him in shape every off season. That just wasn't going to work for us for the most part. 

The injury is whatever. You can figure it's a bit isolated; he did play all 16 games the year before as a starter (the year before that, he was a 7th round rookie, he wasn't going to see much playing time). There was also rumors that he could have played through the injury, and elected not to (don't really know the full story on that, but there was scuttle that the staff was unhappy with how he was handling the issue) 

9 minutes ago, TomRalph said:

Assuming that’s even the lineup (you’re missing Brown/Garcia who may be in play at LT, kicking Wynn inside)...

Behind Dallas, Philly, Tennessee, and Pittsburgh. Probably a notch below some others (Washington, Green Bay, few others). On paper, anyway. 

9 minutes ago, TomRalph said:

It's certainly not Top 10 and a team aiming for Super Bowls should be aiming for any position group to be better than Top 10. 

None of the Pats’ positional groups are top 10. Maybe secondary, if that. NE won a super bowl with 4/5s of that offensive line and returned the following season. 

The offensive line isn’t the concern on this team, honestly.

7 hours ago, TomRalph said:

That’s actually a pretty good position group. 

Your issue seems to be largely with the left tackle position, but that spot will likely either be filled by Wynn or Brown. 

49er fans think Brown can play left tackle but didn’t due to the incumbent being entrenched and better. 

Wynn is 6’3” which would make him the shortest tackle in the league. So? His arms are the same length as Matt Light’s arms. His technique has been heavily praised. He basically doesn’t give up sacks.

Somewhat pessimistic to think that this line, if it’s healthy wont be good.  

16 hours ago, TomRalph said:

You're ignoring Brown. It's a deep unit, plus you're forgetting a pretty damn important factor here; the Patriots have the best line coach in all of football.

On 29/04/2018 at 8:03 PM, TomRalph said:

You're missing the key piece;

Coached by: Scarnecchia. 

As a result, it will be top 15 at least. I don't rate the individual talent that highly (only Mason can be considered elite, possibly Cannon too).  It's very athletic now, I'll say that.

9 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

You're missing the key piece;

Coached by: Scarnecchia. 

As a result, it will be top 15 at least. I don't rate the individual talent that highly (only Mason can be considered elite, possibly Cannon too).  It's very athletic now, I'll say that.

Was going to say this. I mean all you really need to do is look at the way the Oline, especially Cannon, was playing in 2015 I believe when Scarn was gone and we couldn't keep Brady up in the AFC championship game. Which they still almost won. 

Scarn gets the most out of his guys, Oline is one of the positions I'm least worried about for this team right now after getting Brown and Wynn. 

Archived