Rounds 2-3

Johnny Nix

2 minutes ago, ochocinco4pres said:

dont know much about him honestly. 

This is what I got from Cbssports

"Plus athlete with requisite length and bulk to play with his hand in the dirt on the edge. Despite and impressive ability to change directions, he's not particularly bendy and rarely uses his hands to his advantage. Must develop pass-rushing moves to reach his full potential. Good speed to chase from the backside."

2 minutes ago, johndeere1707 said:

Forgot about Crosby. Isn’t he supposed to be a really good RT prospect? Or are we over taking Oregon tackles?

Would be cool to package up some picks to move up 

Maybe they should just avoid Oregon players in general. *cough* akili smith *cough*

In all seriousness though, they could always go after an OG instead. The team doesn't appear to have any confidence whatsoever in Westerman at this point, and it seems like they still want to try and salvage Jake Fisher

13 minutes ago, johndeere1707 said:

I actually really like the Hubbard pick 

I'm good with it.  Was just worried we would take him in the first 2 rounds.  In the 3rd round, I can live with it.  Tough to tell who was really good and who wasn't on that OSU DL with so many good rushers...

3 minutes ago, MrCincinnati said:

Maybe they should just avoid Oregon players in general. *cough* akili smith *cough*

In all seriousness though, they could always go after an OG instead. The team doesn't appear to have any confidence whatsoever in Westerman at this point, and it seems like they still want to try and salvage Jake Fisher

Wyatt Teller or Alex Cappa look like the best guards available but prob be there in the fifth. Ian Thomas is the last good TE available unless they want to get weird with Jaylon Samuels. Which I’m down for.

7 minutes ago, Futbudds said:

Wyatt Teller or Alex Cappa look like the best guards available but prob be there in the fifth. Ian Thomas is the last good TE available unless they want to get weird with Jaylon Samuels. Which I’m down for.

Well Cappa is gone now. Only other G's I like are Cole Madison and Colby Gossett. But when you get this late in the draft, that's usually the time to just start going for BPA, because its unlikely that any of the remaining rookies that get drafted will be a starter on day 1.

7 minutes ago, MrCincinnati said:

Well Cappa is gone now. Only other G's I like are Cole Madison and Colby Gossett. But when you get this late in the draft, that's usually the time to just start going for BPA, because its unlikely that any of the remaining rookies that get drafted will be a starter on day 1.

I like Quessenberry.  Can be a solid backup at Center and Guard...

32 minutes ago, MrCincinnati said:

What makes you think they have no faith in Westerman? I think it's hard to say how the new staff is going to evaluate the existing  guys, particularly the ones with little field time.

The Bates pick is a B for me. He fits what they're looking for - a ballhawking FS who they can play in the two deep on nickel downs, and possibly move Williams up to a nickel LB role (only on nickel downs). I suspect Bates will get a little bit of time this year in subpackages. Again, Austin wants guys who can create turnovers and Bates does that. However, I greatly preferred Justin Reid there, so I can't go higher than a B.

The Hubbard pick is an A for me. Easily my favorite pick of the draft so far. Would have been happy with him in the 2nd. We don't have a ton of depth at DE and Hubbard has a motor that never stops. Highly productive in college and I think there's a strong chance he develops into a long term starter for the team. Guy was a late 1st/early 2nd value and they got him mid 3rd. Just a great pick.

Jefferson gets a B+ for me. He is highly athletic (like, highly, highly athletic). He has a lot to work on in terms of being a good NFL LB - his instincts and play recognition just isn't there right now. That said, he has athletic traits that just can't be coached, is good in coverage, and could contribute in the nickel as a rookie. Will definitely contribute on special teams and if his play recognition/fundamentals improve, he could be a long term starter. Hubbard was a safer pick; Jefferson is a high ceiling/low floor type. At this stage I thought he was solid value.

Overall we've had a good day 2. I don't hate Price at 21, just preferred Daniels (there may be some medical red flags on him though). Overall, we're having a solid draft. We still could use an OT for depth and could use a good run stuffer.

Here's my top targets for round 4 going into tomorrow (in order):

1) Tim Settle DT

2) Tyrell Crosby OT

3) Will Richardson OT

4) Jamarco Jones OT

5) Luke Falk QB

6) Equanimeous St. Brown WR

7) Dasean Hamilton WR

8) Wyatt Teller OG

9) Colby Gossett OT/OG

10) Ian Thomas TE

11) Da'shawn Hand DE/DT

12) Andrew Brown DT

You obviously have to consider Maurice Hurst - if he's healthy he's no doubt the best on the board. However, there is legitimate concern that his heart condition will prevent him from having a NFL career, so I'm hesitant to really put him on the board. We're at a point though where he's worth the risk, if you get something resembling a green light on his medicals.

I'd be looking to go with one of the OTs in round 4 tomorrow if Settle is off the board, as there really isn't much left at OT after these guys, IMO. I think Settle has far greater upside than anyone left (other than the aforementioned Hurst), so if he's available I'd pull the trigger on him instead.

Bates seemed like a reach to me, but i was annoyed when ya'll Bengal kitties grabbed two awesome picks back to back in rapid fire with Hubbard and Jefferson.  Two guys i really liked in this draft, and with some really versatile position and scheme fits too.

Archived