Chargers to cut Gates

49erurtaza

10 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

Decisions like this is why the Chargers will continue to wallow with a weak fanbase. How can you decide to just cast aside one of the franchise's all time players without at least giving him a chance to finish his career out with your organization?

Their owners are a joke and I cannot imagine the frustration one must experience while rooting for them.

Serious Q - have you seen him play last year?  

I am not joking - last year (and last part of 2016) he made molasses look fast.   He should have retired after 2016 but the TE TD record was there to get.  Which he got.  Barely.  3 TD’s.   And only because Rivers force fed him multiple times when they were inside the 3 yard line.  It was painful to watch. 

The Spanos family is a joke.   No argument.  But Gates is beyond done.   And I’m saying this from the outside so take it FWIW.  

9 minutes ago, Broncofan said:
12 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

Decisions like this is why the Chargers will continue to wallow with a weak fanbase. How can you decide to just cast aside one of the franchise's all time players without at least giving him a chance to finish his career out with your organization?

Their owners are a joke and I cannot imagine the frustration one must experience while rooting for them.

I am not joking - last year (and last part of 2016) he made molasses look fast.   He should have retired but the TE TD record was there to get.  Which he got.  Barely.  And only because Rivers force fed him multiple times.  It was painful to watch. 

The Spanos family is a joke.   No argument.  But Gates is beyond done.   And I’m saying this from the outside so take it FWIW.  

Yes, I watched the future Hall of Famer play last year. Should he be getting starter reps over Hunter Henry? No, but having someone to give Henry a breather from time to time and provide veteran leadership and perform as a quality backup would be good for most teams in the NFL.

4 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

Yes, I watched the future Hall of Famer play last year. Should he be getting starter reps over Hunter Henry? No, but having someone to give Henry a breather from time to time and provide veteran leadership and perform as a quality backup would be good for most teams in the NFL.

Man, I saw a guy who’s done.  And yes no doubt who is going to the HoF.   But he wasn’t even playing as a good backup TE last year.  

2 hours ago, RuskieTitan said:

Exaggerate much? Sometimes you have to move on. He got his TD record and played out his contract. And there's been no animosity as far as I know.

And at least our owner never flipped off a fan.

2 hours ago, Broncofan said:

I am not joking - last year (and last part of 2016) he made molasses look fast.   He should have retired after 2016 but the TE TD record was there to get.  Which he got.  Barely.  3 TD’s.   And only because Rivers force fed him multiple times when they were inside the 3 yard line.  It was painful to watch. 

Hard to face it, but at this point he's just wasting a roster spot.

Hang'em up, take an assistant job with the team and move on to the next step.

One of my favorite Chargers, so I'm not saying this lightly.

Love Gates and I’d love him as an assistant coach. He is 37 & shouldn’t be on any roster opening day. Maybe late in the year when bodies are worn down and your guy gets hurt. (Gronk) but not taking a roster spot from someone who has more then a game or two left in him. 

Yea though, ownership is a joke. No joke about it. There had to have been a better way to go about this then a league source tweet. 

Of note, he’s been a free agent this entire time so the market is tepid at best for Gates. 

3 hours ago, Boltstrikes said:

Love Gates and I’d love him as an assistant coach. He is 37 & shouldn’t be on any roster opening day. Maybe late in the year when bodies are worn down and your guy gets hurt. (Gronk) but not taking a roster spot from someone who has more then a game or two left in him. 

Yea though, ownership is a joke. No joke about it. There had to have been a better way to go about this then a league source tweet. 

Of note, he’s been a free agent this entire time so the market is tepid at best for Gates. 

Gates was already told way beforehand. The league source tweet just means a public announcement now. It was completely respectful.

4 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Congrats, you got baited by RuskieTitan. Rekt, tbh.

1 minute ago, MKnight82 said:

Ah.  You fell for the old Ruskie special.

I feel like I've just gone through some FF rite of passage lol.

Off to bed!

Archived