My final take on our draft.

Suffering_Bills

Well, we swung for the fences. Time will tell. We used up our extra draft commodities, but that's why we got them to begin with. We still have a respectable draft remaining after the 1st round, and we gave up nothing next year. We didn't mortgage our future, at all.

The picks.... -we actually got the QB I wanted. ALL the QB's have question marks/flaws, and Allen, true, has some of the biggest. HOWEVER.... -he has that which you can't TEACH. Physically, he's a young Ben Roethlisberger with a better arm. Prototype. He can become a franchise quarterback. Rosen might be better right now, but Allen has the upside. Plus, he's just the better QB in Buffalo over Rosen. Just fits us better. Rosen will get hit more often, too. Allen can actually make plays with his legs. SO.... -I'm cool with this pick. QB was an obvious need. No offense to A.J. McCarron.

Edmunds is, in a few words, possibly the next Brian Urlacher. Maybe the highest upside of ANY player in this draft. (Just like Allen.) Fills an immediate, obvious need, and his best football is still ahead of him. Looks to have positional versatility, too. Put him in the middle, rush him from the outside, and it looks like he can cover, as well. Potentially GREAT pick, and I love it. We got a bit of a steal, too, with the opportunity to even have a chance to select him.

And, like I'd mentioned, we have a full draft still remaining, with a pick in every round, minus the 2nd. Two in the 5th. Get some O-line and WR help, and maybe a good RB prospect. This draft is a hit so far, far as I'm concerned. Thoughts?

UPDATE: Harrison Phillips was a MASSIVE steal. No idea why he fell as far as he did. He looks like a perfect Bill, honestly. He'll come in and immediately be an effective part of our interior D-line rotation, probably starting out as Star's backup. Outstanding run-defender. Serious strength, legitimate production. I would've called it value getting him at the end of the 2nd round, but the end of the 3rd?!?!? That's larceny.

Final take: I love what we did. We got our "POTENTIAL....... -Y'know" franchise QB, and I think the best fit out of the top 4 ones for US. We got who looks to be the QB of our defense, for years to come. We got a future starter at DT, and who will contribute from day #1. We got secondary depth, WR depth, and a possible starting left guard. We had a full draft, and we have a full draft next year, plus a ton of cap space. This is a VERY solid "B" grade from me, with, of course, the chance to be an "A", depending on Allen's development.

Rosen should of been the pick however we still got a QB of the future, I love Tremaine Edmunds for essentially a 3rd and I made a BB yesterday at beginning of round 2 and didn't even put Harrison Phillips on because I felt he wouldn't make it... At pick 93, it's a bloody steal 

I'm all good with our draft 

1 hour ago, BillsGuy82 said:

Rosen should of been the pick however we still got a QB of the future, I love Tremaine Edmunds for essentially a 3rd and I made a BB yesterday at beginning of round 2 and didn't even put Harrison Phillips on because I felt he wouldn't make it... At pick 93, it's a bloody steal 

I'm all good with our draft 

I was all for rosen before the draft, was against allen. I do have to accept allen now, no point in hoping he fails as it is like hoping a president of our country fail for those who dont like him. (not looking for political response so please dont post it, as this was just an analogy). After the draft when the players had their press conference Rosen rubbed me the long way and the more and more this was discussed the more and more I realized he is probably the best qb in the draft but character/personality is not compatible with the Buffalo Bills.. He is a privileged white collar person growing up in SoCal. Buffalo is a blue collar city with close nit ties. I think with his honest open mouth that he has if the city doesnt interest him he will be talking bad about it with in the 1st month as he is so use to big city things to do like surf where that doesnt exist. So as bad as I wanted him as the qb as I think he would be the best on the field for the bills he may be a diva or cancer in the locker room with his situation the way it came out after the draft. This is why I think beane went with allen over rosen. Allen eventhough was an idiot when he was a kid with the tweets he is great full to be there from a small town and is from a blue collar family who works hard on their farm. So personality wise this kid may be the best fit for the bills. Still needs to explain himself to his teammates and coaching staff and prove he is capable of being a consistent passer

1 hour ago, soflbillsfan said:

I was all for rosen before the draft, was against allen. I do have to accept allen now, no point in hoping he fails as it is like hoping a president of our country fail for those who dont like him. (not looking for political response so please dont post it, as this was just an analogy). After the draft when the players had their press conference Rosen rubbed me the long way and the more and more this was discussed the more and more I realized he is probably the best qb in the draft but character/personality is not compatible with the Buffalo Bills.. He is a privileged white collar person growing up in SoCal. Buffalo is a blue collar city with close nit ties. I think with his honest open mouth that he has if the city doesnt interest him he will be talking bad about it with in the 1st month as he is so use to big city things to do like surf where that doesnt exist. So as bad as I wanted him as the qb as I think he would be the best on the field for the bills he may be a diva or cancer in the locker room with his situation the way it came out after the draft. This is why I think beane went with allen over rosen. Allen eventhough was an idiot when he was a kid with the tweets he is great full to be there from a small town and is from a blue collar family who works hard on their farm. So personality wise this kid may be the best fit for the bills. Still needs to explain himself to his teammates and coaching staff and prove he is capable of being a consistent passer

Regarding Rosen, this is pretty much what I've come to feel. Kept hearing how all these QB's had flaws and Rosen's personality was mentioned beforehand, I just couldn't stop looking at those pretty throws! At this point, it is even looking like Rosen may have worse personality traits than Mayfield.

On 4/28/2018 at 3:00 PM, Yibbyl said:

Regarding Rosen, this is pretty much what I've come to feel. Kept hearing how all these QB's had flaws and Rosen's personality was mentioned beforehand, I just couldn't stop looking at those pretty throws! At this point, it is even looking like Rosen may have worse personality traits than Mayfield.

I predicted Rosen would fall on draft day to the 10th pick or even worse and it had nothing to do with his personality which isn't that great. However his fall was caused by his injury history, he simply put, has had way too many serios injuries to risk drafting him top 5 and IMO, will have a career very similar to Bradford's.

It is one thing to look at a player's talent, but football is a tough sport and prospects who have shown signs of getting hurt way too often are just too risky to draft top 10 IMO.

Other rookies with serious injury concerns and look where they went in the draft. Crosby OT Oregon, like Rosen, just too many concussions,  Hurst, even though his doctors gave a thumbs up, team doctors obviously didn't. Rosen is far more a boom or bust option with his injury history than Allen is any day of the week!!!

So the choice for Beane really came down to the possible next Jim Kelly or Lamar Jackson,because only a completely desperate team would draft Rosen and Arizona with the often injured Bradford as their starting QB, certainly filled that bill. 

9 hours ago, Iamcanadian said:

I predicted Rosen would fall on draft day to the 10th pick or even worse and it had nothing to do with his personality which isn't that great. However his fall was caused by his injury history, he simply put, has had way too many serios injuries to risk drafting him top 5 and IMO, will have a career very similar to Bradford's.

It is one thing to look at a player's talent, but football is a tough sport and prospects who have shown signs of getting hurt way too often are just too risky to draft top 10 IMO.

Other rookies with serious injury concerns and look where they went in the draft. Crosby OT Oregon, like Rosen, just too many concussions,  Hurst, even though his doctors gave a thumbs up, team doctors obviously didn't. Rosen is far more a boom or bust option with his injury history than Allen is any day of the week!!!

So the choice for Beane really came down to the possible next Jim Kelly or Lamar Jackson,because only a completely desperate team would draft Rosen and Arizona with the often injured Bradford as their starting QB, certainly filled that bill. 

Agree fully. Rosen is a vaj.

Here is my take. We won’t know for 2-3,years. We can predict all we want but is just guessing. Also according to history and saber metrics  Allan will be a bust. I hope not. I’ve a lot of faith in “McBean” regime. 

• 2 months later...

Archived