Who's worth trading up for in the second?

ROBOKOP

3 minutes ago, Cadmus said:

Just like in the 1st RD.... 

I think we're more likely to trade down than trade up from #45. 

agree, trade DOWN and get an extra 3rd.  The trade chart would indicate Atl, Pitt, NE and Baltimore as equitable trade partner. (Bal would be for the 1st and 18th picks of the third round.)

Crazy talk about trading next years extra #1.  Second round value this year is NOT equal to 1st round talent next year.

Now I get why so many people were upset about that trade.  Some SERIOUS undervaluing of first round picks going on in this Packer subforum.  Our first round pick is GUARANTEED to be higher than anything we could get in the second round.  The NFL isn't ending after this coming season.  We've got very few glaring holes, plenty of upcoming holes.  If a team offered the 16th pick in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th round of this draft for that Saints first round pick, there is no way in hell I take it.

You don't win Super Bowls without hitting on a few first round picks.  You just don't.  We've got two chances at hitting in the first round next year.  If I was guaranteed that pick would be 28-32, I would definitely consider it.  There's a chance that first round pick is the first overall pick next year.  No way in any religion's hell would I trade that pick for a mid to late second round pick. 

Just now, ROBOKOP said:

Now>Later...unless N.O. is terrible and they earn a top ten pick next year of course. 

Now is not better than later when you are trying to maintain a winning team for 6 years of Aaron's remaining career and beyond.  Sorry, it would be stupid to trade that Saints pick.  Not only because it COULD be a top ten pick.  This is simple.  You're just impatient. 

5 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Now I get why so many people were upset about that trade.  Some SERIOUS undervaluing of first round picks going on in this Packer subforum.  Our first round pick is GUARANTEED to be higher than anything we could get in the second round.  The NFL isn't ending after this coming season.  We've got very few glaring holes, plenty of upcoming holes.  If a team offered the 16th pick in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th round of this draft for that Saints first round pick, there is no way in hell I take it.

You don't win Super Bowls without hitting on a few first round picks.  You just don't.  We've got two chances at hitting in the first round next year.  If I was guaranteed that pick would be 28-32, I would definitely consider it.  There's a chance that first round pick is the first overall pick next year.  No way in any religion's hell would I trade that pick for a mid to late second round pick. 

Totally agree here. Cleveland could offer 33 & 35 and I don’t think I’d do it. 

Remember, the Saints are an injury away from potentially picking in the top 10. 

2 minutes ago, MantyWrestler said:

Those are GM’s who will be unemployed soon. That’s crazy talk. 

Right, because ignoring the present and always building for the future has been great for Cleveland.  They've had multiple first round picks in 5 of the last 7 years.  They have always valued the future over their present roster which is a reason why they are consistently picking at the top of the draft.  

5 minutes ago, MantyWrestler said:

Boy I don't know about that.  That trade would have me thinking.

13 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I get the whole window thing. But sometimes I think people forget you can win titles the year after the current one too. 

7 minutes ago, MantyWrestler said:

Taysom Hill tho

25 minutes ago, Cadmus said:

Just like in the 1st RD.... 

I think we're more likely to trade down than trade up from #45. 

Definitely would agree with this one.  Could move down 10ish spots, pick up a 4th, and then use some of those picks we've acquired to move back into the 3rd.

4 minutes ago, SSG said:

Right, because ignoring the present and always building for the future has been great for Cleveland.  They've had multiple first round picks in 5 of the last 7 years.  They have always valued the future over their present roster which is a reason why they are consistently picking at the top of the draft.  

No, because everything I read is that future picks are valued as middle of that round picks. That makes the Saints pick worth approximately the 15th pick in next years first round. Plus 1st round picks are so valuable. Also,  we just don’t need to. We have 12 more picks left, why waste a pick from next year for a 13th pick?

Last, why not trade your future 1st rounder every year for a second round pick when a guy you like is there?

42 minutes ago, ROBOKOP said:

So the Packers pick at #13 in the second.  If a certain guy drops, do we trade up to get him?  How far?  What are your thoughts?  Hernandez? Landry? Josh Jackson?  Go after a WR before there is a run on receiver? One of these guys a difference maker or do we wait for best available?  

Nobody.  If we move up, we're almost assuredly having to give up 101 to get up there.  Maybe more.  Stand pat, or slide back a bit.

Archived