Who's worth trading up for in the second?

ROBOKOP

Yep, I agree.  Trade down. 

I want one second round pick, one third round pick, one fourth round pick and two fifth round picks the rest of the way.  Moving down ten-ish picks in the second could get us that pretty easily. 

20 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Now I get why so many people were upset about that trade.  Some SERIOUS undervaluing of first round picks going on in this Packer subforum.  Our first round pick is GUARANTEED to be higher than anything we could get in the second round.  The NFL isn't ending after this coming season.  We've got very few glaring holes, plenty of upcoming holes.  If a team offered the 16th pick in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th round of this draft for that Saints first round pick, there is no way in hell I take it.

You don't win Super Bowls without hitting on a few first round picks.  You just don't.  We've got two chances at hitting in the first round next year.  If I was guaranteed that pick would be 28-32, I would definitely consider it.  There's a chance that first round pick is the first overall pick next year.  No way in any religion's hell would I trade that pick for a mid to late second round pick. 

For some, a pick now is always going to be more valuable than a pick in the future.  And since it essentially cost the Packers a 3rd round pick to do so, some aren't so forgiving.

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Definitely would agree with this one.  Could move down 10ish spots, pick up a 4th, and then use some of those picks we've acquired to move back into the 3rd.

Where's you're next tier drop after #45? 

2 minutes ago, MantyWrestler said:

No, because everything I read is that future picks are valued as middle of that round picks. That makes the Saints pick worth approximately the 15th pick in next years first round. Plus 1st round picks are so valuable. Also,  we just don’t need to. We have 12 more picks left, why waste a pick from next year for a 13th pick?

Last, why not trade your future 1st rounder every year for a second round pick when a guy you like is there?

There has to be some sort of devalue since you're not using it for a year.  You can value it as the middle of the round if you want, but there's got to be some sort of devalue since you're not using it for a year.

Just now, CWood21 said:

For some, a pick now is always going to be more valuable than a pick in the future.  And since it essentially cost the Packers a 3rd round pick to do so, some aren't so forgiving.

Their parents never made them take a timeout. 

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

There has to be some sort of devalue since you're not using it for a year.  You can value it as the middle of the round if you want, but there's got to be some sort of devalue since you're not using it for a year.

Last point stands, why don’t GM’s trade their future 1st, for a guy they like in the second round, every year?

Answer: Because it’s stupid. Sorry but it just is. 

Just now, St Vince said:

If they want Carter they will have to get in front of Chicago and Pats. The Bears are trying to reunite the Bulldogs LB's crew and Belichick was drooling over him at the Georgia pro day. They need edge rushers..

Ehhhh, the Patriots have been really weird this draft.  Bill Belichick is not a good drafter.  Anybody who took a look at his drafts would probably agree. 

1 minute ago, Cadmus said:

Where's you're next tier drop after #45? 

Honestly, I haven't really looked too much into it.  Had a few things to take care of today.  At quick glance from my list yesterday, there were ~13 players left that I thought were a cut above the rest.  Not all of them fit in Green Bay.

Just now, MantyWrestler said:

Last point stands, why don’t GM’s trade their future 1st, for a guy they like in the second round, every year?

Answer: Because it’s stupid. Sorry but it just is. 

How many GMs feel comfortable with their job security to do that?  Not very many.  A pick now is always worth more than a pick now when you're talking about similarish values.  I believe the last time that a team traded out of the 1st round with the main return being a future 1st was back in 2011 when the Saints traded a 2011 2nd round (56th overall) and 2012 1st round pick.  Nobody is going to trade their 2nd round pick for a future 1st.  At best, that's equal value.  And that's not likely.

Just now, CWood21 said:

How many GMs feel comfortable with their job security to do that?  Not very many.  A pick now is always worth more than a pick now when you're talking about similarish values.  I believe the last time that a team traded out of the 1st round with the main return being a future 1st was back in 2011 when the Saints traded a 2011 2nd round (56th overall) and 2012 1st round pick.  Nobody is going to trade their 2nd round pick for a future 1st.  At best, that's equal value.  And that's not likely.

Poetry. 

21 minutes ago, MantyWrestler said:

Totally agree here. Cleveland could offer 33 & 35 and I don’t think I’d do it. 

Remember, the Saints are an injury away from potentially picking in the top 10. 

Honestly, that'd tempt me.

Archived