Day 2 NFL Draft Discussion

candyman93

2 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Chad Thomas scouting report makes him sound like a God.

I wonder if he can be a 3 Tech

That is a good thought.

Year 1 he only has to be a situational pass rusher, whether inside or out. 

Joe Thomas Rates Garret as a better pass rusher v guards on 3rd down. Hopefully we get a speed rusher to allow this to happen. I really hope we get a good-great nascar package with variable fronts, Ogbah, Garrett inside or Larry O inside with one them beside him.  

6 minutes ago, pnies20 said:

Again... this guy is 6'5 280+ With some burst and athleticism. 5 star hs recruit. He's nothing like Sheard. 

Hes going to play inside on some 3rd downs, spell Ogbah every now and then and try to cause some havoc.

What Sheard was coming out of college is a little bit cloudy now that it's been so long, but I thought he was much more refined of a pass rusher than Thomas is.  Thomas seems like a physical freak that doesn't really know how to use his hands yet.  Considering he won't have to start right away and I've been beating the drum for some backup d-linemen I like the pick.  High ceiling, low floor pick.

He should push Nassib for playing time.

My thought for the day:  if Mayfield becomes good we may be the top **** on the walk in the division. Jackson looks like Baltimore’s qbotf, Rudolph looks like their qbotf. Not good for them. Continue building our D and we may just have it. 

FINALLY

7 minutes ago, pnies20 said:

Not BTC but he'll definitely see some 3 on 3rd down. 

Just heard Berry say he’s a LDE and will move in on passing downs. Former 5star, looks to be undeveloped maybe our coaches can work some wonder with him. 

Also from the little research I’ve done looks like he could be a decent 5 Tech. 

23 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Chad Thomas scouting report makes him sound like a God.

I wonder if he can be a 3 Tech

PFF on Chad Thomas 

"Thomas comes ready-made to be an impact-player against the run as a rookie. Doing the same as a pass-rusher may take a little longer. Thomas would flash dominant outings, then disappear far too often."

what that tells me

potentially be on the first 1st and 2nd down then get off for Garrett to come in 3rd down when you get into the mid to late quarters of games to keep Garrett fresh 

25 minutes ago, Bonanza23 said:

That was exactly my thought too...when I saw him for the first time tonight. Looked really good inside. What’s our resident Miami fan say? @BleedTheClock

I think his long-term potential is as a 3-Tech. He's very inconsistent. I'd make the case that he was Miami's 4th best DL this year. While that doesn't mean he sucks, it means he's been underwhelming as a former 5* recruit. I thought this was too high for him personally. He flashes the potential to become an elite "big" DE, but it's too infrequent for my liking. He also gets demolished at times and is not a very good tackler or break down guy in space---an annoying thing to suck at if you're lucky enough to get your paws on the RB as a DL. I just wish he was either 15 pounds heavier or 15 pounds lighter. He just has a tweener frame right now, which keeps him from having a rigid role as a starter right now.

I think he'll be excellent for Gregg Williams though. Williams loves versatile "movers" on his defense to throw exotic pressures at you. Chad Thomas is excellent at stunting, crashing the next guys hip, and running the loop on interior DL. While I don't see him becoming an every-down player, he's going to be effective in this defense because of his 3rd down UT versatility. We now have a very productive looking DL for 3rd and long's.

Starters:

LE: Ogbah/Nassib/Thomas

NT: Meder or Brantley

3T: Ogunjobi/Coley

RE: Garrett/Smith

Pass Rush Unit:

LE: Ogbah/Nassib

NT: Coley/Brantley

3T: Thomas/Ogunjobi

RE: Garrett/Smith

That unit is good enough to generate a lot of pressure.

Ozzie Newsome is unbelievable...

They have 7 draft picks left in rounds 4-7... they've done some serious damage already.... getting security blankets in 2 really really good TEs in Hurst and Andrews (who way back when I had a mock where we got both of them and used Hurst as a WR). Lamar Jackson and RG3 will be there when they cut Flacco after this year... that's going to be a dangerous team in a couple years..

1 hour ago, NateDawg said:

There’s no way we take a QB high next year. Not unless there’s legal trouble, disaster, etc. The 1st pick of the draft gets a minimum of 3 years. Year 1 could be a RS year to begin with. The 1st pick succeeding/failing is different then a 20s pick that had mental/substance abuse issues and can’t stay in the league due to off field issues. If he’s a bad QB, which we all hope he isn’t, we don’t even look for a replacement until minimum of 2021 draft. 

Yeah not next year but if he starts and fails in 2019 we aren't waiting another 3-4 years (you originally said it would set us back 4-5 years) to draft another QB. You know Dorsey won't be here if Mayfield fails so whoever our GM is in 2020 he/she won't be handcuffed to Baker. So we will be in the same spot we are now in 2 years and we will draft another QB. We don't have the patience to develop a QB, Manziel started 8 games, Kessler maybe 7 or so and Kizer 15 I think. We aren't committing to Mayfield long term if that trend continues. It is a QB league though so it shouldn't take a QB 3 years to develop we should know if Mayfield is worth keeping after 16 starts. He should be, he has the ability to be good the rest is up to him and if his past is any indication he will be up for the challenge. The only issue I have with him is he may not feel he needs to prove himself like he did as a walk on, he probably would have been more comfortable as an URFA. Mostly joking, he has plenty of articles to get inspiration from.

16 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

Ozzie Newsome is unbelievable...

They have 7 draft picks left in rounds 4-7... they've done some serious damage already.... getting security blankets in 2 really really good TEs in Hurst and Andrews (who way back when I had a mock where we got both of them and used Hurst as a WR). Lamar Jackson and RG3 will be there when they cut Flacco after this year... that's going to be a dangerous team in a couple years..

Yeah I'll take Mayfield and Njoku. Jackson will be a serious threat with his legs but he has a long way to go to have me believe he can beat NFL teams with his arm, which they will make him do.

23 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Is Thomas really a better prospect than Hubbard though?

I wouldn't be surprised if he became the better player

as an OSU fan

Hubbard is a JAG theres a reason he "fell" to the 3rd

Thomas could have a really long career if he takes it seriously 

Archived