Pick #33: Austin Corbett - OL, Nevada

ReggieCamp

Spent a day racking my brain who he reminds me of. Finally hit me: Matt Light. Almost exact same guy physically, height, weight, arm length, 3cone, short shuttle, and tape. He moves like Light. Also, Light fell to 2nd round for same reasons; he was too short, arms too short, not physically dominating. Just had good feet, hard worker, tough.

Coincidentally, Light blocked for 2 HOF QBs: Brees at Purdue, Brady at New England. Must be nice.

Not saying Corbett stays at tackle, but there's a real chance of it. Also, these scouts found David Bakhtiari in the 4th round and Chad Clifton in the 2nd round.

15 minutes ago, Fatgerman said:

Spent a day racking my brain who he reminds me of. Finally hit me: Matt Light. Almost exact same guy physically, height, weight, arm length, 3cone, short shuttle, and tape. He moves like Light. Also, Light fell to 2nd round for same reasons; he was too short, arms too short, not physically dominating. Just had good feet, hard worker, tough.

Coincidentally, Light blocked for 2 HOF QBs: Brees at Purdue, Brady at New England. Must be nice.

Not saying Corbett stays at tackle, but there's a real chance of it. Also, these scouts found David Bakhtiari in the 4th round and Chad Clifton in the 2nd round.

hope you are right. 

2 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

hope you are right. 

Me too.

At the very least, he's a quality interior olineman, which is a helluva consolation prize, unlike prospects at most other positions. Same with Chad Thomas. I don't foresee great edge play, but has potential to do damage as an interior pass rusher. Reminds me of Calais Campbell that way.

Just now, Kiwibrown said:

It is a eulogy, the best speech ya ever get really. 

I am just worried about the little fatgermans. 

you are dead your wife is in jail.

how much can you sell fat german children for?

Depends who's buying them I suppose; witches who reside in gingerbread houses pay by the pound. #germanfairytalesaredark

2 hours ago, Fatgerman said:

That's a really good comp. unlike most I like our second round picks. Chubb and Thomas won't start but will see a lot of playing time. Thomas will develop over the next few years and be a monster, IMO. Chubb will only see ~15 carries a game hopefully to keep his knees fresh. 

Corbett on the other hand will hopefully start at LT. 

8 minutes ago, pnies20 said:

That's a really good comp. unlike most I like our second round picks. Chubb and Thomas won't start but will see a lot of playing time. Thomas will develop over the next few years and be a monster, IMO. Chubb will only see ~15 carries a game hopefully to keep his knees fresh. 

I think with chubb and Hyde what you have is a like fr like replacement. 

If one is hot give him more carries, if both are doing well then give them 15 carries each. 

also it makes a hell of a competition. 

13 minutes ago, pnies20 said:

Thanks. Yeah, I made the comp of Chad Thomas to Calais Campbell, not player as much as situation. I think Chad adds ten lbs and has a chance to be a killer against interior oline. Calais played 3/4 end on run downs and interior pass rusher on third downs to start his career. Now he rushes more and has become a beast. 

I hope Chad becomes another Campbell.

https://www.ndtscouting.com/tuls-day-3-winners-2018-senior-bowl/

The most versatile offensive lineman, or prospect for that matter, in Mobile is Nevada’s Austin Corbett. Through three practices for the South team, he has taken snaps at all five positions on the offensive line. He does not just have position flexibility, but he was actually really good at tackle, guard, and center throughout the week.

The third and final practice was his exclamation point on a great week. Not only did he bury defensive tackle Poona Ford in the ground on two consecutive reps at center, but he then moved outside to right tackle to throw Marcus Davenport on the ground. With how talented he is and the fact that he could possibly play any spot on the offensive line, the hype train should get hot quick with Corbett.

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/2018-Senior-Bowl-Day-3-Practice-Observations/cf21c9fe-9159-476e-ad25-0bbaf29fff5f

Keeping an eye on the offensive line, Austin Corbett from Nevada really had a nice performance today at both guard and tackle, especially during team drills. We saw Corbett pair well with fellow lineman Bradley Bozeman on a double team, and then Corbett absolutely destroyed an LSU defensive lineman in front of him, driving him back several yards. Corbett, a three-time All-Mountain West Conference selection, is one of many talented guard prospects in this year’s NFL Draft class, and his versatility to be able to play both inside and outside certainly doesn’t hurt his stock.

https://www.ndtscouting.com/crabbs-nevada-ol-austin-corbett-diamond-rough/

This is a great link to an article to some twitter cut ups that shows you a lot of good things he does. Makes you feel like he will be an instant impact on the running game. 

I feel like he wont make a huge impact in the passing game because he isnt the best pass blocker but I can see him improving on that. He can be an instant impact on his ability to run block. If the Browns truly invest into running the ball, it could make him a better pass blocker by not allowing opposing defenses to tee off on the OL knowing they are just passing the ball. Haley schemed pretty well to try and hide  Villanueva inability to be a great pass blocker in the early stages of his career. Maybe he can do the same with Corbett. I think with Haley's scheme of running both power and zone would benefit Corbett greatly 

I really believe Hue when it comes to the OLine.  I look for them to try a lot of things in training camp.  Let the cream rise to the top and the chips fall where they may.  LT could be the rookie, Coleman, or even Johnson.  The rookie may beat out tretter at center.  Coleman could end up at rt with bitinio or the rookie at LT while the other is at lg, leaving Hubbard to be our super 6th guy.  It should be one of the more interesting groups to watch and see how it plays out.

1 hour ago, DizzyDean said:

I really believe Hue when it comes to the OLine.  I look for them to try a lot of things in training camp.  Let the cream rise to the top and the chips fall where they may.  LT could be the rookie, Coleman, or even Johnson.  The rookie may beat out tretter at center.  Coleman could end up at rt with bitinio or the rookie at LT while the other is at lg, leaving Hubbard to be our super 6th guy.  It should be one of the more interesting groups to watch and see how it plays out.

It will be interesting for sure, but let's be real, it will remain a serious position problem till a solid LT is found in perhaps next year's draft!

Archived