Pick #33: Austin Corbett - OL, Nevada

ReggieCamp

2 minutes ago, DizzyDean said:

The flaw in this logic is that last year you would have moved him mid season with zero prep time or reps at lt.  Drango had practiced some there all year.  He likely would not have done any better than drango given the circumstances and you would have downgraded the entire left side.

where as this year he can start taking reps there from day 1 and see how he responds, and we also have more players to take over lg if he does move.

...but we just drafted a kid that played LT in college at a high level. I'd bet my house that the Browns will be playing Corbett at LT (or competing with Shon Coleman at least) while Bitonio stays at LG. 

1 hour ago, BleedTheClock said:

If we had plans of playing Bitonio at LT, we would have put him there last year. He's not moving. Corbett is our new LT.

But to be fair my friend, this FO wasn't here last year. Also a thought, if Corbett doesn't work out at LT he could slide to left guard and move Bitonio to RG. Zeitler will be 30 in two seasons with, I'm guessing, a pretty significant cap number. Bitonio will be 28. Just a thought though.

2 hours ago, DizzyDean said:

The flaw in this logic is that last year you would have moved him mid season with zero prep time or reps at lt.  Drango had practiced some there all year.  He likely would not have done any better than drango given the circumstances and you would have downgraded the entire left side.

where as this year he can start taking reps there from day 1 and see how he responds, and we also have more players to take over lg if he does move.

Basically made the same argument at the time.

Seems that I agree with you, which might well be a first.

2 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

...but we just drafted a kid that played LT in college at a high level. I'd bet my house that the Browns will be playing Corbett at LT (or competing with Shon Coleman at least) while Bitonio stays at LG. 

Bitonio also played LT in college, at a high level.  I hope that your house has nice wallpaper, I hate doing renovations :-D

Our options were limited at left tackle. Dorsey and company made the best of a bad tackle class. If Corbett doesn't work out at left tackle Draft one next year and move him or Zeitler to center. Seems there are some good left tackles in next years draft.

1 hour ago, DizzyDean said:

Bitonio also played LT in college, at a high level.  I hope that your house has nice wallpaper, I hate doing renovations :-D

Except we clearly needed a guard that year, not a LT. The line of thinking was "guard" all the way with Bitonio. Just based on simple context clues you can infer where these draftees were/are expected to play.

1 hour ago, BleedTheClock said:

Except we clearly needed a guard that year, not a LT. The line of thinking was "guard" all the way with Bitonio. Just based on simple context clues you can infer where these draftees were/are expected to play.

The point is bitinio can change positions.  Especially if he is our best option at lt and his mini me fits best at lg.

9 hours ago, buno67 said:

I heard Joe Thomas said during his podcast that he believes Corbett can play left tackle. He said he likes his footwork from a left tackle stand point

I love joe. But he’s not exactly the most critical of people. He thinks everyone is good. 

33 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

I love joe. But he’s not exactly the most critical of people. He thinks everyone is good. 

True story.  He was never critical and always the optimist.  Whether it was excitement about Quinn and da, or weeden, Manziel.  He was always optimistic that we were on the right track, at least publicly.

1 hour ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

It's true though. Corbett has good footwork. Good working base for the coaching staff to mold. He can play LT. 

12 hours ago, Fatgerman said:

But to be fair my friend, this FO wasn't here last year. Also a thought, if Corbett doesn't work out at LT he could slide to left guard and move Bitonio to RG. Zeitler will be 30 in two seasons with, I'm guessing, a pretty significant cap number. Bitonio will be 28. Just a thought though.

In two seasons?  

They’re 26 and 28 and they play a position that you can play into your early 30’s at a high level.

If they’re cut, it won’t be due to age.

The fact that he can possibly play guard is great, but if he was drafted as a guard the pick was a huge waste.  I’d almost guarantee he’s going to be a LT, and if not, he’ll bump down to center, not guard.

Watched into the 3rd on that video @Bonanza23 and I thought he looked fine.

Got beat a time or two, but Garrett was a number one overall pick.

The thing I noticed is he rarely got help from backs or TE’s and for the most part did his job.  Speaks to how much the coaching staff thought of his abilities to leave him out there like that.

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Watched into the 3rd on that video @Bonanza23 and I thought he looked fine.

Got beat a time or two, but Garrett was a number one overall pick.

The thing I noticed is he rarely got help from backs or TE’s and for the most part did his job.  Speaks to how much the coaching staff thought of his abilities to leave him out there like that.

Yeah he’s not joe Thomas but he’s pretty decent. I can also see him being really good as a guard. 

Archived