Pick #33: Austin Corbett - OL, Nevada

ReggieCamp

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Watched into the 3rd on that video @Bonanza23 and I thought he looked fine.

Got beat a time or two, but Garrett was a number one overall pick.

The thing I noticed is he rarely got help from backs or TE’s and for the most part did his job.  Speaks to how much the coaching staff thought of his abilities to leave him out there like that.

And that's a matchup with Garrett when he was a sophomore and probably still getting the hang in his second year of being a FCS Left Tackle. I was down on this pick when I first heard it was a guard, but the further review and positivity-blinders I'm currently wearing are giving me a decent buzz on this kid.

On 4/27/2018 at 7:43 PM, Mind Character said:

Yup... it was a reach pick for a borderline 2nd rounder. The Bito comparison is a poor one. Joel would have been competitive at OT early in his career.

Corbett lacks the feet for the exterior OL. Combine that with marginal arm-length for an OT, and he struggles against speed. Bito had better feet and an over 2" longer wingspan.

I see Corbett competing for, but not winning, the starting Center job. Tretter improved thru 2017 enough to hold his job, but it's likely that Reiter will be sent down the road.

7 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Yup... it was a reach pick for a borderline 2nd rounder. The Bito comparison is a poor one. Joel would have been competitive at OT early in his career.

Corbett lacks the feet for the exterior OL. Combine that with marginal arm-length for an OT, and he struggles against speed. Bito had better feet and an over 2" longer wingspan.

I see Corbett competing for, but not winning, the starting Center job. Tretter improved thru 2017 enough to hold his job, but it's likely that Reiter will be sent down the road.

I mean, I guess you can personally argue that you think he's an OG/C, but didn't our GM pretty much say in the last few days that he's going to compete for the LT job?

There is a 0% chance that with the 33rd pick we drafted a LT--a major position of need--to convert him to an interior lineman--a major position of strength.

1 hour ago, BleedTheClock said:

I mean, I guess you can personally argue that you think he's an OG/C, but didn't our GM pretty much say in the last few days that he's going to compete for the LT job?

There is a 0% chance that with the 33rd pick we drafted a LT--a major position of need--to convert him to an interior lineman--a major position of strength.

Only Dorsey can speak to you of his intent. I can only tell you what I see.... and what I see is an interior OL. If I were you, I'd probably choose to believe Dorsey as well.

I'll only add this.... Shon Coleman's Auburn tape at LT was the 2nd best OT work I saw in that draft class. It was at a level of which he barely hinted he was capable during his RT work last season. Returned to his "natural side", I think he returns to form. Joe feels the same way. Joe also said that Corbett had "pretty good feet" before talking about how he'd sees him competing at RT, but personally I don't think we signed Hubbard to play LT or sit.

https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/Bolt/Joe-Thomas-has-a-theory-of-where-will-Austin-Corbett-will-play-for-Browns-117879546

So now no matter who ends up being right you can rest easy...

For what its worth, I just read that Joe Thomas thinks Coleman will be our left tackle, the interior of the line will be the same as last year, and Corbett will be the Right Tackle.  Hubbard would serve the same role that he served in Pittsburgh.  Not my thoughts, the thoughts of big Joe.

On 4/29/2018 at 12:37 AM, buno67 said:

https://www.ndtscouting.com/tuls-day-3-winners-2018-senior-bowl/

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/2018-Senior-Bowl-Day-3-Practice-Observations/cf21c9fe-9159-476e-ad25-0bbaf29fff5f

https://www.ndtscouting.com/crabbs-nevada-ol-austin-corbett-diamond-rough/

This is a great link to an article to some twitter cut ups that shows you a lot of good things he does. Makes you feel like he will be an instant impact on the running game. 

I feel like he wont make a huge impact in the passing game because he isnt the best pass blocker but I can see him improving on that. He can be an instant impact on his ability to run block. If the Browns truly invest into running the ball, it could make him a better pass blocker by not allowing opposing defenses to tee off on the OL knowing they are just passing the ball. Haley schemed pretty well to try and hide  Villanueva inability to be a great pass blocker in the early stages of his career. Maybe he can do the same with Corbett. I think with Haley's scheme of running both power and zone would benefit Corbett greatly 

Thank you for this post.....this helps me out a LOT.... this makes me feel a LOT better.....

I dont think ANYTHING anyone can say to make me feel better about taking chad thomas....I've seen him play and he is the definition of a J.A.G.,

But this OL seems like one of those second round picks that I initially hated (Bintonio, and TJ Ward), but turn out to be pro bowl players....After @buno67 Post I am taking the Corbett more like those two picks....

29 minutes ago, DaWg_LB. said:

Thank you for this post.....this helps me out a LOT.... this makes me feel a LOT better.....

I dont think ANYTHING anyone can say to make me feel better about taking chad thomas....I've seen him play and he is the definition of a J.A.G.,

But this OL seems like one of those second round picks that I initially hated (Bintonio, and TJ Ward), but turn out to be pro bowl players....After @buno67 Post I am taking the Corbett more like those two picks....

Don't sleep on Chad, buddy. I think his interior pass rush will be a revelation in his career. He doesn't have outside passrush burst and speed to get around the loop, but he is made for the interior with his length, fluidity, and toughness. I truly believe that. 

I think if he has the foot speed and balance to excel at RT, this pick will be justified 

I dont see that RT we signed as a long term solution.

I think Coleman will surprise us all this year at LT

2 hours ago, ohiogenius said:

I think if he has the foot speed and balance to excel at RT, this pick will be justified 

I like Coleman at LT too. But if Coleman starts at LT and Corbett at RT, then we just spent a lot of money on a backup tackle.

On 5/4/2018 at 12:49 PM, BleedTheClock said:

I have no clue if he’s going to be any good at it, but he was most certainly drafted to play tackle.  At least initially.

5 hours ago, DawgX said:

I like Coleman at LT too. But if Coleman starts at LT and Corbett at RT, then we just spent a lot of money on a backup tackle.

I am fine with that, we have the cap space.  It will be worth every penny if an injury happens to either starter to have a competent guy to step in.

9 hours ago, ohiogenius said:

yeah he will surprise us on how bad he is...

7 hours ago, DawgX said:

just for one season. Just about every contract signed this offseason by FAs have easy outs after their first season.

8 hours ago, DawgX said:

But that's the Gambit of FA before the draft: you never know who you might get in the draft. Besides, throwing as many darts at a potential problem area before the problem bites you in the ast is never a bad thing. Once the bullets are flying, it can be impossible to address those problems, and protecting Tyrod and Baker has gotta be top priority, within reason of course.

Archived