49ers Select Dante Pettis, WR, Washington#44 Overall

y2lamanaki

1 hour ago, NinerNation21 said:

So this might stir the pot a bit, but I was just listening to Matt Maiocco's podcast and he had Pettis on as his guest. This is complete paraphrasing, but Maiocco asked if he knew where he was going to be selected and Pettis said that 49ers really liked him and contacted his agent on day 2 and asked if they thought Pettis would still be available at 74. Pettis was kind of difficult to follow during his answer, but essentially, he thought he was going to go in the third and there were other teams interested in him at the top of the 3rd. As we all know, we then traded up to 44 to take him, 30 picks higher than where they wanted to take him. 

This is only my guess, but hearing that there were multiple teams ready to take him at the top of 3rd makes me think they all got into a bidding war and were trying to jump each other with the 49ers winning it by trading in front of someone who was about to take him in the middle of the second.

A bidding war early in the second for a guy seen as a 3rd rounder doesn't make much sense, especially when there were several other really good WRs available. If  his comments are meant to suggest that every team that wanted a WR wanted him I find that hard to believe. There are a whole bunch of mocks and big boards, by guys I think know what they are talking about, that had other WRs rated ahead of him, or had virtually the same rating on him as on other guys.  We  might have thought he was the best WR out there but no one can be sure, or even close to sure, that he will turn out better than Kirk or Miller or Washington or even Chark, or that he would not have still been there at 59. Mayock had every one of those guys rated ahead of Pettis. Jeremiah had both Chark and Kirk in his top 50, but not Pettis so I can't tell how he rated Pettis. PFF had Washinton, Miller and even Gallop ahead of Pettis - and maybe more I could only find their top 6.  You get the point. We gave up a pretty darn good pick, 74, to get our choice of WRs and used that choice to take a guy that was not rated as high as several others by a bunch of pretty good analysts. If we waited we might still have gotten him at 59, or maybe we'd have had to "settle" for one of those other guys and he turns out better anyway. In either case we'd still have been able to take anothger good player at 74,  I like Pettis; I hated the trade up.

7 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

A bidding war early in the second for a guy seen as a 3rd rounder doesn't make much sense, especially when there were several other really good WRs available. If  his comments are meant to suggest that every team that wanted a WR wanted him I find that hard to believe. There are a whole bunch of mocks and big boards, by guys I think know what they are talking about, that had other WRs rated ahead of him, or had virtually the same rating on him as on other guys.  We  might have thought he was the best WR out there but no one can be sure, or even close to sure, that he will turn out better than Kirk or Miller or Washington or even Chark, or that he would not have still been there at 59. Mayock had every one of those guys rated ahead of Pettis. Jeremiah had both Chark and Kirk in his top 50, but not Pettis so I can't tell how he rated Pettis. PFF had Washinton, Miller and even Gallop ahead of Pettis - and maybe more I could only find their top 6.  You get the point. We gave up a pretty darn good pick, 74, to get our choice of WRs and used that choice to take a guy that was not rated as high as several others by a bunch of pretty good analysts. If we waited we might still have gotten him at 59, or maybe we'd have had to "settle" for one of those other guys and he turns out better anyway. In either case we'd still have been able to take anothger good player at 74,  I like Pettis; I hated the trade up.

All of those guys may have had him ranked in a specific spot, but he's saying his agent was fielding calls from teams on where he might be drafted and he said he was told by several teams that they were targeting him in the late second early third round. I can only speculate that there were several teams wanting him in that range, but the niners felt he was too good of a fit to let him go to another team and traded up.

I listen to all of the talking heads and value their opinions, but once the draft happens and I see where guys were picked, or hear from them, specifically, on where their agents are telling them they could go based off of what teams are telling them, I value that over what an analyst thought would happen.  

52 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

All of those guys may have had him ranked in a specific spot, but he's saying his agent was fielding calls from teams on where he might be drafted and he said he was told by several teams that they were targeting him in the late second early third round. I can only speculate that there were several teams wanting him in that range, but the niners felt he was too good of a fit to let him go to another team and traded up.

I listen to all of the talking heads and value their opinions, but once the draft happens and I see where guys were picked, or hear from them, specifically, on where their agents are telling them they could go based off of what teams are telling them, I value that over what an analyst thought would happen.  

Again though..most analysts thought he would go in the late second, early third from what I can tell. So I don't know why it even matters...I mean, there's no difference from what the agent and player were saying they were hearing to what most of the talking heads were talking about from the start? I'm just confused on why suddenly everything is different when there is really no difference? 

Scot M on our selection of Pettis: 

WR Dante Pettis, second round, 44th pick: "That scares me a little bit, because he doesn't play big. I understand he's got the nine punt returns for touchdowns and all that. But when I watched him, I thought, 'OK. Cool route runner. But how's he going to be against the Richard Shermans, the Brandon Browners, that type of corner?' Because they'll take him out of his route right away."

Oh yeah, name me one good WR you ever drafted!!!!!!

Lets see how he does against bigger corners, but Pettis has a nice release off the snap and is able to beat press coverage better than anyone in this draft class according to some. His slight frame does make me question how he plays in the middle of the field though. 

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

Oh yeah, name me one good WR you ever drafted!!!!!!

Lets see how he does against bigger corners, but Pettis has a nice release off the snap and is able to beat press coverage better than anyone in this draft class according to some. His slight frame does make me question how he plays in the middle of the field though. 

Ouch! Good point, J! Arnaz Battle? Josh Morgan? Not exactly stellar picks there.

It was a tongue in cheek comment. I'm a fan of Scott M. But he's also a guy that has bit of a similar mindset as Baalke in that they go for bigger physical guys. Shanny obviously prefers different type of offensive skill players than those two. 

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

It was a tongue in cheek comment. I'm a fan of Scott M. But he's also a guy that has bit of a similar mindset as Baalke in that they go for bigger physical guys. Shanny obviously prefers different type of offensive skill players than those two. 

And after seeing what happened with Marquise Goodwin, I am just fine with that. Kyle knows what he is doing.

34 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Ouch! Good point, J! Arnaz Battle? Josh Morgan? Not exactly stellar picks there.

Josh Morgan is such a weird one. Dude was like a fifth or sixth round pick (can't remember which), and I have always been disappointed with what we got from him on the whole, which is just weird given his draft position. It really shouldn't be possible to be disappointed in a late round pick like that lol

Seriously, going back to the drafts where Scott M has been involved in, I can't think of any good WR he has drafted lol. Some solid ones but that's it. 

Edit: Did draft Crabtree who is good. So that's one.....But even for a top 10 pick, it's not like that was a great pick or anything. Just a solid one. 

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

Josh Morgan is such a weird one. Dude was like a fifth or sixth round pick (can't remember which), and I have always been disappointed with what we got from him on the whole, which is just weird given his draft position. It really shouldn't be possible to be disappointed in a late round pick like that lol

He was a 6th, and I think the disappointment stems from the fact that he had such a promising rookie camp at a time when every receiver we brought in over the 5 years since T.O. left was miserable. This included disappointing top 3-round draft picks like Rashaun Woods, Derrick Hamilton, Brandon Williams, and Jason Hill. So Morgan comes out and easily looks like the best of the bunch, but then gets that staph infection in the preseason and derails all his momentum. Then we go from Mike Martz to Jimmy Raye, and he never had a chance to regain it.

I believe DJ Chark was picked one pick after our original 2nd rounder. I would have rather just stuck it out and drafted him. The one thing that is keeping me from completely hating this pick is his punt return ability. I feel like there were better players on the board when we traded up as well as after our original pick.

If we had just stayed pat and drafted him in our original slot, I wouldn't like the pick but I wouldn't hate it either but the trade up just makes it hard to stomach. He has to evolve into a legitimate #2 WR to justify the pick IMO. Anything less and it was wasted pick. AND the fact we got such great value for Richie James makes the pick look that much more of a reach.

Archived