49ers Select Dante Pettis, WR, Washington#44 Overall

y2lamanaki

2 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

For me, I'm very happy Dante Pettis is a 49er, and even though Michael Gallup was my favorite receiver in this range, I don't necessarily mind that Pettis was chosen over him.

Regarding the value? I strongly dislike the trade up to get him. But I said my piece when it happened. Much like I hated Tartt's value in 2015 while really liking the player, now that the draft is over and OTAs have begun, I'm just really concerned with how he's fitting in. He's a 49er.

Pretty much. Nobody is going to hate that he's a 49er, and nobody is largely going to care if it works out. It'll just become a charming little anecdote about how we all thought the team was crazy for giving up what we did to get him (and then philosophical questions on whether a player's play justifies still making the move up, or if you can still consider it poor value, etc etc etc) 

35 minutes ago, Forge said:

Pretty much. Nobody is going to hate that he's a 49er, and nobody is largely going to care if it works out. It'll just become a charming little anecdote about how we all thought the team was crazy for giving up what we did to get him (and then philosophical questions on whether a player's play justifies still making the move up, or if you can still consider it poor value, etc etc etc) 

Exactly. So, why even continue to complain? This is my point. 

Perhaps it's because I am a teacher, but I have very low tolerance for complaining/whining or negativity in general. 

Just now, Chrissooner49er said:

Perhaps it's because I am a teacher, but I have very low tolerance for complaining/whining or negativity in general. 

So we should only talk about things that are positive, and only express ourselves when we are happy or like something? Got it. Should make riveting conversation and debates.

Why continue to exalt nothing but the positives and focus on nothing but glowingly gushing over something?  It's the same thing as focusing on the negatives, but just the other side of the coin. Everyone should continue to simply express their opinions and feel safe doing so, whether it's positive or negative. Sometimes we will get good debate and discussion, other times not so much. Great discussion is typically not made without some sort of conflict unless you consider great conversation to be everyone just applauding everything incessantly or everyone bagging on something non-stop. 

10 minutes ago, Ninerjunkie said:

The trade is what it is. They went after the guy they wanted so I'm hoping it works out. So far our front office hasn't disappointed. 

Well, can you can't really say these trade ups for the offensive players Shanny has wanted have exactly panned out....Way too early to tell, but the Beathard/Williams trade ups aren't exactly looking good. And lets see how this one ends up. 

18 minutes ago, Ninerjunkie said:

So far our front office hasn't disappointed. 

I actually find this to be a fascinating comment the more I thought about it. Not because you're wrong, but because of all the thoughts it generated in my head just taking a second to think about it. 

2 hours ago, NinerNation21 said:

I tend to side more on finding guys who fit what you do, rather than taking guys who are "too good to pass up" that could be more like a square peg in a round hole. With that said, I still think the appropriate value is important. You don't want to take a guy in the 1st who is valued as a 3rd rounder. But with Pettis, he has said that teams have placed his value at the bottom of the second or top of the 3rd. Ultimately, he went middle of the second. So we're not talking about an astronomical jump to take him. 

You can find guys that fit what you do at other positions as well as at wide receiver was the point I was getting at. Not trading a third round pick can help you do that. But such decisions will be made and I'm excited to see Pettis play. And lord knows I've fallen for my share of players.

1 hour ago, Forge said:

So we should only talk about things that are positive, and only express ourselves when we are happy or like something? Got it. Should make riveting conversation and debates.

Why continue to exalt nothing but the positives and focus on nothing but glowingly gushing over something?  It's the same thing as focusing on the negatives, but just the other side of the coin. Everyone should continue to simply express their opinions and feel safe doing so, whether it's positive or negative. Sometimes we will get good debate and discussion, other times not so much. Great discussion is typically not made without some sort of conflict unless you consider great conversation to be everyone just applauding everything incessantly or everyone bagging on something non-stop. 

This is true. There has to be some conflict in points of view in order for a discussion to be interesting. There also needs to be thoughtfulness and at least an attempt to try and follow the opinion you are interacting with as well. And a sensible policy over when your point has been made and when the discussion is no longer fruitful. Because 8 pages of repeating the same argument and completely talking past one another is painful to read and just as useless as thoughtless praise or empty criticism. 

5 minutes ago, JIllg said:

This is true. There has to be some conflict in points of view in order for a discussion to be interesting. There also needs to be thoughtfulness and at least an attempt to try and follow the opinion you are interacting with as well. And a sensible policy over when your point has been made and when the discussion is no longer fruitful. Because 8 pages of repeating the same argument and completely talking past one another is painful to read and just as useless as thoughtless praise or empty criticism. 

Absolutely. Unfortunately, this conversation has pretty much run around in circles...and honestly, it has for years in a broader scope. We have had this conversation about Tartt, about Garnett, and even to a lesser extent, Joe Williams and Beathard last year....there's a fundamental difference in how people view the draft sometimes, and this is a recurring point of contention between people a lot of time whenever moves like this are made. 

Pettis the player has unfortunately been lost a little in the bigger discussion of draft value. I think that the value conversation can be fun for a while, but it does tend to run around in circles after a while. 

4 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

But that's what makes forums a place to go. Praise, complain, argue, agreee, whatever. It's what we do here.

3 hours ago, JIllg said:

9 pages? There must have been closer to 900, or at leasty 900 posts re-hashing what everyone thought about Alex.

8 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Well, can you can't really say these trade ups for the offensive players Shanny has wanted have exactly panned out....Way too early to tell, but the Beathard/Williams trade ups aren't exactly looking good. And lets see how this one ends up. 

C.J. Beathard is a serviceable backup on a rookie deal. He is not an exciting player, but he is actually providing value on that contract at that position. A veteran backup would be a few million/season more expensive for the next three years. Beat hard serves his purpose.

26 minutes ago, Ronnie's Pinky said:

C.J. Beathard is a serviceable backup on a rookie deal. He is not an exciting player, but he is actually providing value on that contract at that position. A veteran backup would be a few million/season more expensive for the next three years. Beat hard serves his purpose.

No doubt. I would also like to add in the fact that we traded a 7th round pick to move up to get him, when we clearly were going to take him next. That is different than trading a high third. 

1 hour ago, Ronnie's Pinky said:

There was literally no reason to trade up for him. We could have got him the next day with our first 4th rounder. 

And I think he could be a decent backup, but meh. 

Archived