49ers Select Dante Pettis, WR, Washington#44 Overall

y2lamanaki

11 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

There was literally no reason to trade up for him. We could have got him the next day with our first 4th rounder. 

And I think he could be a decent backup, but meh. 

I know, but Shanalynch have shown they are going to get their guys regardless of what we think. 

Resistance is futile! :D Drink the Kyle-Aide and move on! :P

2 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

I know, but Shanalynch have shown they are going to get their guys regardless of what we think. 

Resistance is futile! :D Drink the Kyle-Aide and move on! :P

Well, he can't be any worse than that bust, Manny Lawson!!!!  :P 

14 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

There was literally no reason to trade up for him. We could have got him the next day with our first 4th rounder. 

And I think he could be a decent backup, but meh. 

We traded up to get him. We traded up to get Williams. We traded up to get Pettis. We made Juice the highest paid FB in the history of the league. We paid McK probabbly more per careeer yard earned than any player in history.  Our staff darn well better be the best damn evaluators of talent ever because I don't think a franchise can thrive over the long term by paying premium prices in terms of picks or dollars for every specific guy they want.

45 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

We traded up to get him. We traded up to get Williams. We traded up to get Pettis. We made Juice the highest paid FB in the history of the league. We paid McK probabbly more per careeer yard earned than any player in history.  Our staff darn well better be the best damn evaluators of talent ever because I don't think a franchise can thrive over the long term by paying premium prices in terms of picks or dollars for every specific guy they want.

Tell me the common dominator to everything you just said? All offensive players that are Shanny's guys lol.

We did trade up for Foster to be fair, but that was just too good of a talent to pass up. 

On 2018-05-23 at 8:17 AM, Chrissooner49er said:

Wow, I am beginning to feel like I am on an island! Am I the ONLY one not disgruntled with this pick in any way?! 

Seriously, I would like to know. Much of this thread bemoans the trade up or even picking him at all. 

So, please chime in if you are as pleased with having Dante Pettis as a 9er REGARDLESS of the trade up. I am VERY pleased.

I'm with you. I'm happy with it. The trade is done, no point in moaning about it, it can't be reversed. I like the guy, and I'm banking on Kyle being every bit the offensive genius he has shown to be so far, and that his judgement is that Pettis can be a special guy. You know, one of these guys that somehow slips through the cracks and actually turn out to be a superstar. He has the work ethics and intelligence to be special. I just want him to be special. I want all our picks to be special, but there's something about him.

On 2018-05-23 at 5:08 PM, big9erfan said:

9 pages? There must have been closer to 900, or at leasty 900 posts re-hashing what everyone thought about Alex.

I disagree! It has to be 950! You hater! You're so wrong! I despise everything you represent! big9excuses!

I'm kidding.

I still love the spoiler tag

6 hours ago, big9erfan said:

Maybe it's all just psychology. We just overdraft, trade up, overpay, just to show we're confident, that we really want these guys, etc. That instills a sense of belonging, of being desired, yada yada yada. I don't know if it's at all their rationale, but maybe. In any case, I don't really care. They're on the team, now they have to perform.

11 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Tell me the common dominator to everything you just said? All offensive players that are Shanny's guys lol.

We did trade up for Foster to be fair, but that was just too good of a talent to pass up. 

I hadn't actually thought about it that way. I should have mentioned the Foster trade up, but didn't because in that case it's the rare example of a trade up that I support - getting a guy that dropped further than he should based on talent alone, and a guy at a position of need where the next best guys are clearly a lot further down on the talent scale.

5 hours ago, rudyZ said:

I disagree! It has to be 950! You hater! You're so wrong! I despise everything you represent! big9excuses!

Hide contents

I'm kidding.

Reveal hidden contents

I still love the spoiler tag

See - just as I said. It's impossible to have a discussion about Smith without arguing about it!

I see you've learned the "spoiler trick".

5 hours ago, rudyZ said:

Maybe it's all just psychology. We just overdraft, trade up, overpay, just to show we're confident, that we really want these guys, etc. That instills a sense of belonging, of being desired, yada yada yada. I don't know if it's at all their rationale, but maybe. In any case, I don't really care. They're on the team, now they have to perform.

Yep. He hand picked them. Now let's see what he can do with them.

On 5/24/2018 at 9:58 AM, big9erfan said:

Ki-Jana Carter, tho.

1 hour ago, Ronnie's Pinky said:

Ki-Jana Carter, tho.

Nice reference. But I guess every rookie ever signed earns infinitely more than McK per career yard gained since they all have gained zero yards when they're signed as rookies.

I guessed at what I said but I seriously can't think of a veteran RB who signed for more after producing less than McK.

22 hours ago, big9erfan said:

Nice reference. But I guess every rookie ever signed earns infinitely more than McK per career yard gained since they all have gained zero yards when they're signed as rookies.

I guessed at what I said but I seriously can't think of a veteran RB who signed for more after producing less than McK.

That's fair. In Carter's case, even if you give him retroactive credit for the yards he gained in Cincy, his is still likely the worst per-yard running back contract in history, especially if you adjust for the much lower salary cap when he was drafted. Rookie contracts back then were such a mess.

• 2 weeks later...

49ers.com's Joe Fann reports second-round WR Dante Pettis is learning all three receiver spots.

"We're throwing a lot at him," WRs coach Mike LaFleur said. "Just challenging him and seeing what he can grasp this offseason." A player the team traded up to draft in the second round, coach Kyle Shanahan talked up Pettis' versatility and flexibility after the draft, so it is not a surprise they are using him all over the field. It is not clear how big an offensive role Pettis will have right out of the gate, but he should at worst help the return game as a rookie.

Archived