49ers Select Dante Pettis, WR, Washington#44 Overall

y2lamanaki

4 minutes ago, Ronnie's Pinky said:

Still convinced that this kid is going to be special, and that evaluating WRs is one of Kyle's superpowers.

I 100% agree with that second part, which has me very optimistic about the first part.

1 hour ago, y2lamanaki said:

I 100% agree with that second part, which has me very optimistic about the first part.

I third this. If I was picking a WR in round two I would have stayed put and drafted Chark. I’m confident Shanahan knows what he’s looking for, and early returns are looking good. Hopefully he gets a lot of action this preseason and shows us all what they’ve been reporting from TC.

It'll be interesting to see how the careers of Miller / Pettis play out, as if I was trading up for a wide receiver at that particular point (I probably wouldn't have been, but if I were), it probably would have been Miller. 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

It'll be interesting to see how the careers of Miller / Pettis play out, as if I was trading up for a wide receiver at that particular point (I probably wouldn't have been, but if I were), it probably would have been Miller. 

Definitely, Miller looks to be the real deal. I was high on him before the draft. So not surprising to hear he is killing it at camp. Though the same could be said about Pettis. One difference is that Miller probably gets to shine more in the early going as Pettis will likely be the 4th WR to start the year behind Garcon/Goodwin/Taylor. And really you also have Bourne who he will be competing with.

1 hour ago, Forge said:

If I was going to trade up for a receiver it would have been a little bit higher and I would have grabbed Sutton. I still can’t believe he wasn’t a first rounder.

Just now, Gore Whore 21 said:

If I was going to trade up for a receiver it would have been a little bit higher and I would have grabbed Sutton. I still can’t believe he wasn’t a first rounder.

Sutton would have been a good choice had he fallen further, but in order to get Sutton, we would have traded to 39 or so, and at that point, I can't pass up Sutton for Harold Landry, so I don't think that there was any way that I was going to end up with Sutton in this draft. 

2 hours ago, Forge said:

Sutton would have been a good choice had he fallen further, but in order to get Sutton, we would have traded to 39 or so, and at that point, I can't pass up Sutton for Harold Landry, so I don't think that there was any way that I was going to end up with Sutton in this draft. 

I would have taken Sutton over Landry, but I like those big freak WRs and wasn’t high on Landry.

11 minutes ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

I would have taken Sutton over Landry, but I like those big freak WRs and wasn’t high on Landry.

I wasn't high on Landry either. I was fighting that good fight against taking him at #9...felt like I was a bit on the island there lol. But I did have him rated right around where he went (and I could have justified trading down into the 20's and taking him), but at that point, given the position he plays and the absolute upside he has at that position, I would have had to take him over a receiver in a heartbeat. There was a significant difference in his upside versus the next edge rusher who would have been available in my opinion (probably Turay). 

I'm just not a big fan of trading up for wide receivers in general to be honest.

12 hours ago, Forge said:

I wasn't high on Landry either. I was fighting that good fight against taking him at #9...felt like I was a bit on the island there lol. But I did have him rated right around where he went (and I could have justified trading down into the 20's and taking him), but at that point, given the position he plays and the absolute upside he has at that position, I would have had to take him over a receiver in a heartbeat. There was a significant difference in his upside versus the next edge rusher who would have been available in my opinion (probably Turay). 

I'm just not a big fan of trading up for wide receivers in general to be honest.

To the bold - especially when Kyle seems to be able to get production from value signings or late round picks (Taylor, Goodwin, bourne)

Getting Landry in the second round would be almost as good as getting Ruben Foster at the end of round one ... Almost

We'll see. Interestingly there were several receivers in that 35-70 or so range that were liked by some, and all of whom have potential. Normally one or two of them would turn out really well and one or two of them won't amount to much. I doubt Pettis is in that latter category, but it will likely take a year of two to see if he turns out to be the best of the bunch.

17 hours ago, Ronnie's Pinky said:

But, but, but...Jerry Rice!

That's more or less playing the results though. I could just as easily say, Sammy Watkins! 

Just an exception / rule sort of thing. Obviously that is a trade up for a wide receiver that worked out. There have been many others that didn't, and many others that did.  I don't love trading up in general. Has to be the right situation and the like. I'd have been willing to trade up for Landry because of the position he plays, the far superior upside (in theory) that he has over the others available in the draft and the like, but even that is fairly rare on my end. 

22 hours ago, Forge said:

That's more or less playing the results though. I could just as easily say, Sammy Watkins!

I am superstitious when it comes to sports. I know it's irrational, but I will never not be excited about acquiring a Notre Dame player, a trade with the Patriots, or taking a good corner and putting him at free safety. Trading up for a WR isn't quite as high on my list of 49ers superstitions, but it makes the list.

Also, wouldn't JJ Stokes! be the ultimate comeback here?

--------------------------------------------------

Anyway, I'm of two minds when it comes to the trade-up for Pettis.

1) I did not love the move from a strict value perspective. I actually had Pettis exactly where he got drafted: as the 4th best WR on the board after the big three (ending in Sutton), but I didn't think he necessarily separated himself from a couple of other guys - i.e. he was the first guy in his tier. Usually, trading up for one of those dudes isn't a wise proposition because if you really believe in your tiers, you can theoretically get similar value by standing pat (and saving a 3rd round pick).

2) I am 100% certain that Kyle Shanahan is better at this than I am. His track record with WRs is superb, and thus far, Pettis has looked like a guy whose skills will translate to the pros.

Just now, Ronnie's Pinky said:

Also, wouldn't JJ Stokes! be the ultimate comeback here?

Yes, he should have been. It's funny that I didn't think of that given that I was thinking of him the other day as Ray Lewis gets inducted to the HOF (The ravens took him with the pick we sent them in that trade, I believe) 

Archived