49ers Select Dante Pettis, WR, Washington#44 Overall

y2lamanaki

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

@Ronnie's Pinky...that stuff is fair. I don't have a ton of questions regarding what he brings to the table, and I like that he basically can have a bit of an apprenticeship. The player value was definitely a little rich for me, so it's a bit of a reach (particularly given the board). Also, the trade up absolutely demolishes the value for me. Way too similar to the Garnett move for my liking. I bashed that one, have to bash this one as well. 

Fair enough. I trust the current leadership a lot more than a did the chowderheads who traded up for Garnett. But we shall see. I think they're doing a good job of taking players who they can put in positions to succeed. Kyle (actually, Kyle and Robert) clearly has a plan, and is going after it hard. I get the impression that the coaches have a lot of say in personnel decisions on this team, on both sides of the ball. That can either work or not work, depending on the organization, but when it works, it often works really well. Kyle has an excellent track record of building offenses that do great things, so imma give him the benefit of the doubt until he proves otherwise.

It's interesting...many people were clamoring for immediate help at the team's glaring need positions, and the FO instead spent the lion's share of draft capital on, after quarterback, arguably the two positions that take longest for players to develop at the pro level. They're clearly in "long play" mode right now, trying to build steadily through the draft, which is I think the best path to a championship when your QB is already making beaucoup dolla.

4 minutes ago, Ronnie's Pinky said:

It's interesting...many people were clamoring for immediate help at the team's glaring need positions, and the FO instead spent the lion's share of draft capital on, after quarterback, arguably the two positions that take longest for players to develop at the pro level. They're clearly in "long play" mode right now, trying to build steadily through the draft, which is I think the best path to a championship when your QB is already making beaucoup dolla

I do agree with this and said as much earlier in the thread. I don't necessarily have a problem with that either. I said in the draft thread a while back that I wouldn't mind if we completely punted the LEO / EDGE position given that lack of depth in this class. I think that Shanny and Lynch still have a masterplan in place, and I don't think it banks on being a contender this year. I think it's a year or two down the line. 

7 minutes ago, Forge said:

I do agree with this and said as much earlier in the thread. I don't necessarily have a problem with that either. I said in the draft thread a while back that I wouldn't mind if we completely punted the LEO / EDGE position given that lack of depth in this class. I think that Shanny and Lynch still have a masterplan in place, and I don't think it banks on being a contender this year. I think it's a year or two down the line. 

I just hope we aren’t waiting on ziggy ansah next year, and have that be our answer...

I get what you're saying, but again which position was going to come in and be the out right starter minus RT since we were trading Brown? Maybe a guard? Though, they likely wouldn't have gone OL again for a while after taking McGlinchey. Leo? Our roster was arguably the worst in the league last year heading into the draft so multiple draftees had a chance to contribute from day one. Once the roster starts improving, it obviously becomes harder for rookies to make day one impact. 

But Pettis will almost certainly be the starting return man and get some time at wideout. 

Warner could potentially start at one of the LB spots, or at worst get time in nickel packages. 

Street was a long play.....and not a good one IMO.

Moore looks like a long play, but also just depends on how quickly he could transition from safety to corner. Culliver was able to make the transition quickly and ended up being productive as a rookie. But I don't think that happens with Moore. He's a guy who likely competes for the starting spot in 2019. 

19 hours ago, Forge said:

I feel like we are handling the draft like we do free agency (not a good thing) in that we are becoming tunnel visioned to the guys that we want and have to have. 

Obviously I agree totally with this.  We've made Juice the highest paid FB of all time. We gave a huge ocntracct to a RB that's done little in the league so far. In two drafts we've moved up multiple times to get guys we want. I think that approach is a mistake.  We're like the guy who gets ovbsessed with a girl and starts stalking because he can't imagine life without her. Bellichick shows year in and year out that you can get players that help your team without over-paying them or over-drafting them.

12 hours ago, AustrianNiner said:

He can actually throw TD's aswell(0:30)

He actually threw three passes for big gains in college (out of five attempts). I have no idea if those sorts of shenanigans are part of Kyle's playbook, but for a wide receiver, he's got a very good arm. Looks half decent heaving it downfield.

1 minute ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

I can see why Kyle liked him, he is always preaching separation and Pettis has that. I think he was over drafted, but I don’t hate the player. Excited to see him returning punts. 

I'm excited to see him take a slant route 70 yards for a touchdown

Archived