Bears Select James Daniels

Sugashane

This pick is about stability. This should mean Cody Whitehair plays left guard and stays at left guard, not that he has to play a different position every week.

I heard a joke early this draft season, and I forgot who it was (maybe Jeremiah) or the exact verbiage and all of the exact schools, but it went something like "When you need an offensive lineman, where do you get one from? Notre Dame, Iowa, Arkansas, Stanford, Wisconsin." It's funny, but there's some truth to that.

37 minutes ago, IronMike84 said:

This pick is about stability. This should mean Cody Whitehair plays left guard and stays at left guard, not that he has to play a different position every week.

What I liked coming into the draft about Daniels as well as Ragnow and Billy Price coming into the draft is that if we added any of them we would have 2 NFL-caliber starting centers on the roster, plus a backup in Kush who can also play either. That’s true depth at a really key position.

I wonder if we now see Jordan Morgan at RT with a year to develop under HH behind Massie. He’s a bit short at 6-3 for a tackle but definitely has the length (34 5/8” arms) for the spot, and he doesn’t really have a role inside right now short of injury IMO due to Kush’s versatility giving him an edge as top depth. 

2 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

He is a shockingly athletic man with great feet.

Only 20 years old, which means he has room to physically develop and get stronger.

This was a pick that went with the strength of the draft 

Pace has done a great job thus far of balancing letting the draft come to him and being aggressive. He’s really been impressive this offseason IMO. 

1 minute ago, AZBearsFan said:

Pace has done a great job thus far of balancing letting the draft come to him and being aggressive. He’s really been impressive this offseason IMO. 

Agreed. Resisting the temptation to go against the draft at OLB has been very nice to see.

Means the Bears will have pass rush concerns during the season, but there draft assets should all be starting and contributing. 

Pace says hes going to have them start him at guard initially and see how that goes.  Think its a mistake, but I suppose I'll defer to the coaches expertise on that one.  He seems like a player who would be better at center, and whitehair had a lot of issues getting the snaps out cleanly last year, particularly at the beginning of working with Trubisky. Hopefully that improves.

Ryan Pace pc notes

Says Daniels will start off at og and will be crosstrained to center (really odd wording here but more on that later)

Miller has a swag about him that is infectious and both Pace and Nagy really liked that

HH very influential on the Daniels pick and HH is very fired up about him.

Feels that at 20 years old Daniels still has some room for physical growth but has a naturally low pad level that offers unique flexibility on the line

(This is where Pace backtracked a bit on what he said earlier) 

Reiterated Daniels at OG but then said that is just where hes starting from and they [the other g/c] will compete and work that out.

Miller has big hands, plucks the ball out of the air.

They have stayed true to the board and its just fallen this way that the players they are getting seemingly are high floor players.  Pace also noted that they also have very high ceilings.

5 hours ago, IronMike84 said:

I'm really not worried about where he "starts off" because who knows what the timetable for that will be. For all we know he could leave Bourbonnais as the starting center.

That would be my guess since James mentioned how he wants to get in and start working with MT10 noting the special relationship between the QB and center.

Archived