Bears Select James Daniels

Sugashane

I can only imagine during rookie minicamp in the next 2 weeks that he's going to play C. Then the team will have him at G mixed with C during OTAs, then 50/50 during TC. I still expect him to open the season at C, or at lease very much hope so.

22 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

I can only imagine during rookie minicamp in the next 2 weeks that he's going to play C. Then the team will have him at G mixed with C during OTAs, then 50/50 during TC. I still expect him to open the season at C, or at lease very much hope so.

I don’t much care whether he plays C or G, because I’m comfortable with Whitehair at either. His snap issue was a short term thing last year that was resolved by the second half of the season (had 2 later in the year that were both on Mitch). Wherever he is most set up to succeed is fine by me. If we don’t have faith in HH to figure that out then HH isn’t the guy he’s billed to be. You don’t take an interior OL in the top 40 without a plan though. 

22 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Pace has said he is starting at LG.

I think it is the right call. Do not force the line calls and adjustments on him. Let him concentrate on his assignment and technique.

Line calls are an excellent point and may be motivation and thought.   Daniels is probably best suited to center though.  Quick twitch really helps him snap and reach.  White hair can do either, but I think helps team most at guard with Daniels on team.  

6 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

HH is going to figure out where to put the best 5.  I think Daniels will be better at center, but im not the best ol coach in football.  So I think I'll defer to him.

Hopefully it’s his call.  Pace announced his position which I think was a bit premature and unnecessary.  Best to see some field work and let Oline coach decide.  

7 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

HH is going to figure out where to put the best 5.  I think Daniels will be better at center, but im not the best ol coach in football.  So I think I'll defer to him.

I think for your rookie year it is not worth having him try and do 2 things. 

I am less concerned with the bad snaps Whitehair had early last season and think he will be the C long term.

I like Daniels at OG because of his length and the power he has in his base, he is a guy who can absorb a bull rush and I would expect he gets close to 320lbs as he grows [20 years old] and spends time in an NFL weight program year round.

I'm not in any rush to move Cody Whitehair. He has put out top 5-8 NFL tape so why take him away from that? Nagy spoke glowingly of him as well after a short voluntary veteran minicamp. Let's see how it all unfolds.

1 minute ago, dll2000 said:

Hopefully it’s his call.  Pace announced his position which I think was a bit premature and unnecessary.  Best to see some field work and let Oline coach decide.  

Pace was asked a question, he didnt just announce his position.  Pace said specifically that they are going to start him at lg and crosstrain him to center.  He also said that competition would be what ultimately decides who plays where.  Nagy then reiterated that fact and both Pace and Nagy said that HH was influential in the pick.  It sure sounds to me like both Nagy and Pace are deferring to HH

5 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I think for your rookie year it is not worth having him try and do 2 things. 

I am less concerned with the bad snaps Whitehair had early last season and think he will be the C long term.

I like Daniels at OG because of his length and the power he has in his base, he is a guy who can absorb a bull rush and I would expect he gets close to 320lbs as he grows [20 years old] and spends time in an NFL weight program year round.

320 might be pushing it a bit but 315 should be a reasonable weight.  Personally I think its a great problem to have when you have 2 potential probowl iol who you feel comfortable at any of the 3 positions.  Camp will decide who plays where and long term.  I dont expect after August that either will have to worry about being moved around anymore. If Long is healthy, maybe you try Morgan out at RT, where he certainly has the arm length and arhleticism for it.  

Archived