2.50 Connor Gonna Guard #HookEm

D82

On 4/27/2018 at 8:42 PM, Desperado82 said:

I think we're going to see a big shift in the play calls this year

Seems like a lot more horizontal routes from receivers and fewer vertical stuff. But knowing Garretts offense and understanding Linehans previous work and playcalling tendences, Im betting it is actually more horizontal with an option of vertical based on coverage.

Im hoping not too much changes. And it actually it shouldnt, we just need to call fewer plays that take too much time to develop. Let Dak move around and take the safe throws, and work deep when the coverage allows. This is what he did in 2016 so well, and why he was so safe with the ball. When you call 2 back to back passes and you send 3 of your 4 targets deep, and your QB is not known for his pocket delivery, you are asking for trouble.

Let Dak be Dak and he will be shine again. Ask him to be Troy Aikman and Dak is going to come undone, and never take the next step.

12 minutes ago, Dallas94Ware said:

Seems like a lot more horizontal routes from receivers and fewer vertical stuff. But knowing Garretts offense and understanding Linehans previous work and playcalling tendences, Im betting it is actually more horizontal with an option of vertical based on coverage.

Im hoping not too much changes. And it actually it shouldnt, we just need to call fewer plays that take too much time to develop. Let Dak move around and take the safe throws, and work deep when the coverage allows. This is what he did in 2016 so well, and why he was so safe with the ball. When you call 2 back to back passes and you send 3 of your 4 targets deep, and your QB is not known for his pocket delivery, you are asking for trouble.

Let Dak be Dak and he will be shine again. Ask him to be Troy Aikman and Dak is going to come undone, and never take the next step.

Dak got a bit exposed last season. Teams took away Beasley and his favorite throws. Im still a fan of Dak but he is never going to be a great downfield thrower. His accuracy in the short to intermediate throws was very good his rookie season but was not as good last season. This is a big season for Dak. I suspect teams are going to stack the box big time so he is going to have to show he can beat teams by throwing the football. 

2 minutes ago, cromagnum said:

Dak got a bit exposed last season. Teams took away Beasley and his favorite throws. Im still a fan of Dak but he is never going to be a great downfield thrower. His accuracy in the short to intermediate throws was very good his rookie season but was not as good last season. This is a big season for Dak. I suspect teams are going to stack the box big time so he is going to have to show he can beat teams by throwing the football. 

Oh my god. I read 'exposed' and immediately wanted to scream.

He was not exposed. Dak is Dak. He was never going to be Tony Romo or Troy Aikman. 

You know what was exposed? Our pass protection and our playcallers stubbornness.

You cant throw deep when your receivers dont have time tonget deep before your QB is being hit.

You cant throw deep when your QBs best traits are throwing on the move and making safe decisions.

Linehans play calling was continually putting Dak in a position that is NOT suited for him.

You cannot expect a guy with Daks skills to play like a pocket passer. Dak is a.much safer thrower than the kind who wants to throw vertically. He needs to be allowed to be what he is, and he will be as outstanding as he was in 2016. If they want to force him to be Drew Brees, yeah, not going to work.

There was no "exposure" of Dak, but rather, a blatant misuse of what made him so good. Like I said, they need to let Dak be Dak. Not force him to be someone who he is not.

When he was throwing vertical perfectly off the playaction, even for the win, in those shootouts like against Pittsburgh in 2016...it was obvious he can.do it. But that has to be something they have built towards, not something they force upon him early in games. When he was making those 40 yard bombs off a scramble to Butler, or firing a perfect corner route to.the back pylon to Dez...was he ezposed then as innacurate or a bad passer? No. They simply built to those plays by letting Dak play his game and making those types of plays a smaller part of the offense.

When he is allowed to.make a quick read and a quick delivery and make proper reads presnap off of a powerful run game, it lets him be safe with the ball and build opportunity for those big plays. If you force him to stand back there and pick between 3 vertical routes vs cover 2 and cover 3 on the first second down of the game and expect some Drew Brees perfection on a vertical throw, you are essentially asking Ted Ginn to run a shallow dig against robber coverage, or asking Jerome Bettis to run a wide toss around the edge. Can they? Yeah. But probanly not the best use of their abilities.

Not gonna argue with you on the reasons Dak didn't play as well last year but this is a big year for him though. Im a big fan of Dak  but what concerned me more then anything was he was not as accurate on the short or intermediate throws as he was his rookie season. Whether it was the play calling or lack of protection or a mixture of both I'm not sure. Im not gonna get into specifics as i can't remember now but Dak was missing open receivers a lot more last season then his rookie season. I will ask you this as you seem to know your football. Can Dak be a good QB if teams take away the running game?

33 minutes ago, Dallas94Ware said:

Oh my god. I read 'exposed' and immediately wanted to scream.

If they want to force him to be Drew Brees, yeah, not going to work.

There was no "exposure" of Dak, but rather, a blatant misuse of what made him so good. Like I said, they need to let Dak be Dak. Not force him to be someone who he is not.

Which is still an exposure. Stephen Jones admitted that aside from the read options, and goaline QB draws, the Cowboys were asking him to do what Romo did. Which is what Brady, Brees, and Manning did. Sit back. Diagnose, and rocket it. He had protection problems, and his WRs were dropping balls that I had seen them catch 100 times. But he was at times very slow to diagnose. And he tends to throw 1 or 2 passes a game that really really look bad accuracy wise. He was also to over cautious at times. Checking down to Witten in hopes he could YAC 12 yards at age 90. I truly believe that Dak doesn't trust his arm, or rather is aware of his limitations. Which is good, but you won't see him gunslinging because he knows he can't. They may have tried to make him that, but he was exposed in that regard.

Now, we can win with Dak. And a guy with his talent in between the ears can be super valuable. But we have to, have to, have to, change our scheme. He needs to be on the move. He is one of the best in the league outside the pocket, but bottom half from within. Which is why his play is spotty and streaky. He needs to be moving. More read option. More play action. Probably more of a college spread look on passing downs instead of your base 11 set. And lean HEAVY on Zeke, and Rod Smith, and Bo Scarbrough, and this incredible OL that we have invested so much in . Not Dak and his discount spread WRs.

I'm interested to see what Linehan comes up with. But I wont hold my breath.

13 minutes ago, cromagnum said:

Not gonna argue with you on the reasons Dak didn't play as well last year but this is a big year for him though. Im a big fan of Dak  but what concerned me more then anything was he was not as accurate on the short or intermediate throws as he was his rookie season. Whether it was the play calling or lack of protection or a mixture of both I'm not sure. Im not gonna get into specifics as i can't remember now but Dak was missing open receivers a lot more last season then his rookie season. I will ask you this as you seem to know your football. Can Dak be a good QB if teams take away the running game?

He was a very good QB when the run game was no longer an.option late in games in which passing the ball was the only way to rally back. I believe that was 3 times in 2016, including that final 6 minute shootout vs Pittsburgh which, again, is the perfect film to watch when you want to see what he is capable of as a pure passer.

The biggest issue is that people then to overlook what someone has done and only look at the most recent outings. And this season was a poor situation for any young passer. Dez playing hurt, poor pass protection, stubborn playcalling, and relatively questionable gameplanning. I think, and hope, lessons were learned all around.

23 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

Which is still an exposure. Stephen Jones admitted that aside from the read options, and goaline QB draws, the Cowboys were asking him to do what Romo did. Which is what Brady, Brees, and Manning did. Sit back. Diagnose, and rocket it. He had protection problems, and his WRs were dropping balls that I had seen them catch 100 times. But he was at times very slow to diagnose. And he tends to throw 1 or 2 passes a game that really really look bad accuracy wise. He was also to over cautious at times. Checking down to Witten in hopes he could YAC 12 yards at age 90. I truly believe that Dak doesn't trust his arm, or rather is aware of his limitations. Which is good, but you won't see him gunslinging because he knows he can't. They may have tried to make him that, but he was exposed in that regard.

Now, we can win with Dak. And a guy with his talent in between the ears can be super valuable. But we have to, have to, have to, change our scheme. He needs to be on the move. He is one of the best in the league outside the pocket, but bottom half from within. Which is why his play is spotty and streaky. He needs to be moving. More read option. More play action. Probably more of a college spread look on passing downs instead of your base 11 set. And lean HEAVY on Zeke, and Rod Smith, and Bo Scarbrough, and this incredible OL that we have invested so much in . Not Dak and his discount spread WRs.

I'm interested to see what Linehan comes up with. But I wont hold my breath.

Daks problem wasnt with diagnosis, it was more with the gameplan he was being asked to execute. He made the proper coverage reads and made the proper choices, the issue more became that he was increasingly asked more and more to.throw to route combinations that require a willingness for risk. Dak prefers, and is.more suited to, a conservative style of play. Its why he had only 4 picks in 2016. When he had to take risks, it was built towards such and not a focal point of the system.

Granted, playing from behind kind of forces your hand to run the downfield stuff more and more. And Dak has to learn that hesitation on those throws will never work out well and he has to just do it. But remember, Dak is the complete opposite of Romo - Romo was the risk taker. Dak is the keep away ball security type. You would never expect Romo to work the short game and keep the chains moving safely when he was the run deep and let him rip it type, and you shouldnt expect Dak to rip it deep blindly when he is the chain moving ball security type.

Dak can do it all, same as Romo was. But asking a player to go against what their instincts as players propel them to do is never going to.end well. Let Dak be Dak. Let him play safe, let him rip it deep when the opportunity is there, and dont force him into forcing big chunk plays..he will find them, safely, when they are available. As we have seen him do many times.

As for Linehan...he has some good tendencies for offensive playcalling. But he honestly should have been gone for this season. Even if we kept the same offense (which is Garretts, Not linehans!) and just had a more modern, youthful playcaller scripting the early plays and installing a few of his own stuff suited to helping Dak instead of a full on revamp, it would have helped. Linehan is a bit too predictable and old fashioned for a modern era passer.

I was more in the mindset of bringing in one of these college guys actually, like Sonny Cumbie or someone more in tune with that mobile, ball security, ground game enthusiast types who might get a bit of input on the gameplan, design a few plays, and call a game better suited for this team.than Linehan, who was brought in initially to turn Romo away from his gunslinger ways and more into the point guard pocket type spreading the ball around that he finished his career being.

On 4/29/2018 at 3:56 PM, cromagnum said:

You’re right about his inconsistency and inaccuracy. And it wasn’t just the pressure on him that caused it, it was Dak most of the times

im expecting more of the same, load the box, one on one, and make dak beat you

Anyone have any insight on how Williams projects as a guard?

Curious if he struggles at guard, do they move him to RT and move Collins back to LG.

At least we have options this year along with Fleming and Martin.

15 minutes ago, CAPJ said:

Anyone have any insight on how Williams projects as a guard?

Curious if he struggles at guard, do they move him to RT and move Collins back to LG.

At least we have options this year along with Fleming and Martin.

Most analysts seem to think he projects better at guard, with more than a few saying he has all-pro potential inside.

1 hour ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Most analysts seem to think he projects better at guard, with more than a few saying he has all-pro potential inside.

Yup. Most reports I read on him during the draft process had him as a better fit inside due to his shorter arm length. 

Archived