What's special about D.J. Moore?

celestial

I watched some tape on him and he never seemed to get open on anything but comebacks. There was always a CB with him. I might not have watched enough of him to judge because I was disgusted. But this is a good draft thread anyway: What's special about him?

2 hours ago, celestial said:

I watched some tape on him and he never seemed to get open on anything but comebacks. There was always a CB with him. I might not have watched enough of him to judge because I was disgusted. But this is a good draft thread anyway: What's special about him?

Not the case at all.  

He could stand to work on certain routes, but he can definitely beat his man deep.  Good hands catcher that can adjust to poorly thrown balls.

Also, is probably his most dangerous with the ball in his hands.  Slants, bubble screens, curls, end-arounds, PR, etc.  He's a WR with a RB body.

Not that this is the reason for him to be the first WR off the board, but he was the B1G receiver of the year with 4 QBs (including being on the third by the 3rd game of the year) against one of the hardest schedules in the country.  So, it's not like he just existed in a favorable situation.

Didn't this guy run like every route conceived of at his school and play with eight different quarterbacks?

Anyways, the main thing that sticks out to me from what I've seen is his amazing YAC ability. Seems to shed tackles pretty easily like Steve Smith or Andre Reed used to do. 

I'm not at all familiar with college football but I'm a Panthers fan who watched the FO's presser after the pick. Hurney and Rivera said they liked his YAC ability and how he ran with power as if he were a RB. Said he had good hands, long speed, and ability to run all the routes (Maryland had a pro offense his freshman year before switching to spread). Said he was an effort player and always gave it his all despite lopsided scores and bad QB play where he was the sole weapon on offense. Impressed Norv Turner a lot at the pro day.

9 hours ago, sp6488 said:

Not the case at all.  

He could stand to work on certain routes, but he can definitely beat his man deep.  Good hands catcher that can adjust to poorly thrown balls.

That makes him a great fit with us in Carolina

He reminds me a lot of Beckham as a prospect.

Similar in size (ODB was 5'11 198; Moore is 6'0 210), although Moore is stronger. Both had elite YAC ability and I could see Moore excelling on slant routes the same way Beckham has in the NFL.  He's going to be difficult for DBs to tackle in the open field.  Both can play all 3 WR positions.  Despite their height, both were able to do well in going up and making tough grabs.  The main difference is Beckham showed more running routes coming out, but I think Moore is certainly capable.  I think it had less to do with ability and more to do with scheme/situation.

I loved Beckham coming out so of course I really like Moore.  He probably won't be as good as Beckham in the NFL (but who really thought Beckham would be as good as he is?), but I expect he'll succeed in a lot of the same ways.  Acrobatic catches, dangerous after the catch, and the ability to hurt you at any part of the field.  

Archived