Vikings select...Brian O’Neill, OT, Pittsburgh

SemperFeist

Tier 3

4a. Brian O’Neill, LT, Pittsburgh

Standout Traits – Athletic Ability, Play Speed, Zone-Blocking
Biggest Question Mark – Play Strength, Anchor, Hand Usage

O’Neill is the most intriguing developmental tackle in the draft class. The former tight end convert switched to tackle prior to his redshirt sophomore year and has primarily played right tackle prior to the 2017 season, making the switch full-time to the left side (finished career with 24 RT/13 LT starts). His functional athleticism is elite, particularly in space as a puller where he demonstrates special closing speed to overrun smaller/quicker defenders in space. His pass set is crisp and clean, but his hand placement, strike timing, and precision hitting set points still needs some work.

The biggest issue I have with his projection to the NFL involves below average play strength, especially when having to build his house and transition to anchor vs. power-rushers. Sometimes this can be mitigated as much with technical refinement as adding raw strength, and I think he will need to improve in both areas before he can be reliable on an island in pass-protection. The N.C. State game this year showed me both of the aforementioned strengths and weaknesses, in a performance that left me ecstatic about his pro prospects on some reps, and terrified on others.

If he can be brought along slowly with plenty of slide protections to his side to help protect his inside shoulder, we could be looking at a dynamic starter near the end of his first contract. Ideally, he would be drafted to a team in a heavy zone scheme allowing him to play in as much space as possible, utilizing his quickness and play speed while he continues to gain confidence and strength

https://www.ndtscouting.com/?p=15113&preview=true

Edited by SemperFeist