Vikings select...Brian O’Neill, OT, Pittsburgh

SemperFeist

To address Krauser's point, does so many OGs going early mean Price, Ragnow and Wynn might have been the pick at 30. In other words, the Vikes didn't make a "luxury" pick since the OGs they might have wanted were selected. They had their choice of Braden Smith and Hernandez at 30 but passed for a higher ranked player at a position of need (if you don't like Alexander at slot).

Edited by vikingsrule
  • Like 1

One thing to note about O’Neill and his strength concerns: apparently he had an injury (pectoral or something) that possibly limited him strength wise. Very cursory search on google didn’t come up with anything, but this was brought up after the pick on Sirius I believe.

My initial impression is that the guy athletically is impressive, has a frame that can definitely be built on, and for only having 3 years of experience as a tackle he is advanced for where others would be. Comparison that was floated on Sirius was Nate Solder. I’m okay with the pick, I think he could very well turn out to be a solid player, but I am now concerned with our line composition. I would assume Hill would start at RT with Remmers at G, with the possibility of O’Neill stepping in at RT, but he seems to be seen as a guy who needs a year as of now. Depth seems like it could be a problem, but maybe the team feels good about Isidora’s development and whatnot? 

2 minutes ago, NorthCountryEvo said:

One thing to note about O’Neill and his strength concerns: apparently he had an injury (pectoral or something) that possibly limited him strength wise. Very cursory search on google didn’t come up with anything, but this was brought up after the pick on Sirius I believe.

My initial impression is that the guy athletically is impressive, has a frame that can definitely be built on, and for only having 3 years of experience as a tackle he is advanced for where others would be. Comparison that was floated on Sirius was Nate Solder. I’m okay with the pick, I think he could very well turn out to be a solid player, but I am now concerned with our line composition. I would assume Hill would start at RT with Remmers at G, with the possibility of O’Neill stepping in at RT, but he seems to be seen as a guy who needs a year as of now. Depth seems like it could be a problem, but maybe the team feels good about Isidora’s development and whatnot? 

Compton has some experience. Could very well play him at RG. 

Or maybe they beg Berger to unretire.

Could the whole thing also be... the Vikings actually planned on Remmers playing guard? Paul Allen said super early on after the Super Bowl that Remmers to Guard was the plan. 

If that’s the case, waiting until Round 2 after McGlinchey was off the board, it was truely the smart move. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

I didn’t have CB that high on the needs list. I still would have gone OL in the first. 

I go BPA at position of need (as opposed purely the best player available or going after a position of need).

Mike Hughes made sense in the first round.

3 hours ago, rpmwr19 said:

Just needs to get stronger. Athletically, good. Great feet, and good technique. 

NEEDS to get stronger. 

Absolutely!  At 310 lbs of pure strength, he'll be a super athletic monster.  I think by the 2019 season, he'll be an excellent tackle for The Vikings' system.  2018 will be mostly a learning year. So, this draft choice was more for The Vikings' long-term than for next season.  If things go right, he'll be a high-quality fixture in The Vikings' lineup for 10-12 years, but not be a high-level contributor next season.  It's somewhat of a gamble that he'll gain the strength he'll need and take well to the coaching to turn into a high enough quality regular for enough years, to make up for The Vikings not getting the immediate starter-quality help from the start next season that they might have gotten from picking someone who could start and play effectively right away.

1 hour ago, AP_allday2869 said:

Can't wait for him to get bull-rushed all game, every game. 

He won't, because he won't start at all in 2018.  By 2019, he'll be big and strong enough, and know how to play his position well (if all goes right).