Vikings select...Brian O’Neill, OT, Pittsburgh

SemperFeist

2 minutes ago, Klomp said:

TnSEMx.png

Never realized how small his hands are. Overall those are pretty decent measurables though. Gaining weight shouldn't be an issue, and by next season he should have gained a lot of strength.

I like this pick. I didn't expect us to go after OT, but I'm very glad he's a Viking now. 

All I wanted in this draft was at least 1 Oline taken in rounds 1-3. Looks like a solid pick and his weaknesses look very correctable.

Fans now preferred to draft a IOL and keep Remmers at RT over moving to RG which is funny to me. When Remmers sign last year all the talk was how poorly he look against Von Miller and the dream plan was drafting a RT then cutting Remmers.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dc_vikingfan said:

All I wanted in this draft was at least 1 Oline taken in rounds 1-3. Looks like a solid pick and his weaknesses look very correctable.

Fans now preferred to draft a IOL and keep Remmers at RT over moving to RG which is funny to me. When Remmers sign last year all the talk was how poorly he look against Von Miller and the dream plan was drafting a RT then cutting Remmers.  

I think fans wanted an IOL because it is such a deep draft at those positions, and we need an immediate starter. You were likely to find one at IOL in this draft. 

O’Neill is a great looking 1-2 year project at tackle, but there’s a lot of questions about him starting from day one. That doesn’t help much this year. 

We still need to add an IOL in the draft. Tyrell Crosby would be an interesting pick, he’s a strong, well built tackle who could give you some RT/RG flexibility. Wyatt Teller is another guard prospect that has very good qualities. But, we’re still looking at more developmental prospects. 

Edited by SemperFeist

I am in a wait and see mood regarding this pick.  The one caution I have that folks keep mentioning is he needs to gain strength.  I hope that doesn't mean putting on more than five or six pounds!  I remember this same concern was expressed regarding Matt Kalil when he came out.  I think that the effort for him to gain muscle mass is what led to some of Kalils physical problems.  I think that O'Neill can and should work on technique more than adding muscle mass.  Keep him lean, quick and make him a master of technique.  In my opinion that will serve him well.  However, I am not convinced that the Vikings will work it this way.

I don't think it's fair to compare O'Neill to Clemmings or other developmental OL projects in the past. This is a new offense. I'd have my doubts if it was still Norv Turner's scheme, but it's not. This seems to be a much better scheme fit.

• Like 1

The redshirt junior came to Pitt in 2014 out of an all-boys Catholic high school in Wilmington, Del., where he’d been a wide receiver and Delaware’s Player of the Year as a basketball center. He thought he’d be a 265-pound tight end at Pitt, but after redshirting as a freshman, O’Neill was approached by a coach after the regular right tackle tore up his knee in summer workouts.

Yeah, O’Neill got the old can-you-put-on-50-pounds-in-a-couple-of-months-and-switch-positions question. He didn’t hesitate.

“It was an opportunity to play and our team really didn’t have any other options,” he said.

He began eating. And eating. And eating some more. He’d set his alarm for 3:30 a.m. to wolf down a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and a glass of milk he’d leave in a bedside fridge, go back to sleep, awaken and eat, work out, eat again and then eat at 2, 4 and 9 p.m. He put on 35 pounds in two months and played tackle in all 13 games, starting the final 12.

http://www.post-gazette.com/opinion/brian-oneill/2017/07/02/This-O-Neill-is-no-mirror-image/stories/201707020111

• Like 1