Vikings select...Brian O’Neill, OT, Pittsburgh

SemperFeist

Re-watched available cut ups again last night:

1. Athleticism is evident. I haven't seen a tackle get out on pulls, moves and second level advances as quick and fast as him in a while. 

2. His footwork is outrageous; can mirror the quickest of ends. I don't think I saw him get beat with an outside bend in the 4 games. 

3. I like he has full season experience at right and left tackle. Provides up flexibility down the line in case something happens to Reiff. 

4. His anchor is weak. We all knew that. The Senior Bowl put an exclamation on it. Senior Bowl 1v1s did him a disservice because the majority of time, the D end will try to beat you with power; and that's where O'neil needs to work on. That said though, Chubb tried to bull rush him numerous times in the NCST game and while O'Neil lost a yard or two in with each battle, he ultimately won the war as besides the very first play of the game where Chubb disengaged, shedded O'Neil and made the TFL; he was held relatively silent on passing downs the remainder of the game. 

There is a lot of talent here to work with. Going up against power (Hunter) every day this summer should help him immensely. 

It also has to be kept in mind that 1 on 1 drills at the senior bowl (between lineman) are slanted in the favor of the defense.  Now, the really good offensive lineman will often stand out in these drills, but struggling during these drills is not a death knell.

24 minutes ago, rpmwr19 said:

It also has to be kept in mind that 1 on 1 drills at the senior bowl (between lineman) are slanted in the favor of the defense.  Now, the really good offensive lineman will often stand out in these drills, but struggling during these drills is not a death knell.

Oh, I agree. I just wanted to also make a point that it's slanted to the defense; especially defensive players who win with power moreso than speed. So basically, a double whammy to O'Neil. 

Corey Chavous, if Draft Nasty, was on PA this morning, and he made an interesting observation with O’Neill. He said that when O’Neill has trouble with power, he gets his hands to far to the outside of his opponent, but when he keeps his hands inside, he doesn’t have the same issues against power. 

He still said that he needs to get stronger, but he can clean up some things with his hands to make things better. 

• Like 1

I think it all depends on where he can reach the strongest candidate while maintaining his ability to move in space. 

I would think that 310-315 would be a great spot for him, given his body type. But he may be able to add more weight, or he may be able to add strength without adding much weight. 

5 hours ago, battle2heaven said:

Re-watched available cut ups again last night:

1. Athleticism is evident. I haven't seen a tackle get out on pulls, moves and second level advances as quick and fast as him in a while. 

2. His footwork is outrageous; can mirror the quickest of ends. I don't think I saw him get beat with an outside bend in the 4 games. 

3. I like he has full season experience at right and left tackle. Provides up flexibility down the line in case something happens to Reiff. 

4. His anchor is weak. We all knew that. The Senior Bowl put an exclamation on it. Senior Bowl 1v1s did him a disservice because the majority of time, the D end will try to beat you with power; and that's where O'neil needs to work on. That said though, Chubb tried to bull rush him numerous times in the NCST game and while O'Neil lost a yard or two in with each battle, he ultimately won the war as besides the very first play of the game where Chubb disengaged, shedded O'Neil and made the TFL; he was held relatively silent on passing downs the remainder of the game. 

There is a lot of talent here to work with. Going up against power (Hunter) every day this summer should help him immensely. 

I watched the same videos and had similar thoughts. 

He's really, really good at defending the edge in pass protection. There's a couple of plays where the edge rusher jumps the snap but O'Neill gets back so fast that he immediately catches up to him. 

He's a very good downfield blocker on screens and outside run plays. He's an only OK run blocker otherwise, doesn't really push people around. 

There was one play where he lined up as a H-back, took a jet sweep and tried to throw a pass. Crazy. 

I saw the moments where he had trouble anchoring, but they didn't look as bad to me as I'd feared from reading scouting reports (Brandon Thorn etc). He looked quite a bit better than Kolton Miller in pass protection, for what that's worth (though Miller is much stronger as a power run blocker). 

O'Neill seems like a natural LT to me. In general I think there are more speed/edge rushers coming from the offense's left vs power/inside counter rushers from the right.

Maybe that's a bias -- the Eagles have a similarly athletic converted-TE tackle in Lane Johnson and he plays RT. Probably simpler just to leave Reiff where he is and put O'Neill on the right. 

In either case, I think he has the potential to be the best pass blocking tackle the team has had since Kalil's first year, or McKinnie before the weight gain. 

Having watched more film, I have to say I really like the O'Neill pick for what it is. Tackle was the bigger need compared to guard, especially going forward if they don't see Remmers as a long-term solution there. O'Neill seems at least as likely to be a long-term NFL starting tackle as anyone else left on the board in the late 2nd, or the late 1st for that matter (given the possibility that Williams is too short to be a tackle). The value was good -- despite the run on OL, he was a late 2nd or 3rd rated guy who went in the late 2nd, actually a little later than other project tackles from previous years (Fisher and Spriggs were both mid-2nd rounders). 

I still wish they'd ALSO drafted a plug-and-play starter at guard in the first round (ending up with Reiff - Corbett - Elflein - Remmers - O'Neill, for instance), but it didn't work out that way. Thankfully, they do have depth at guard, even if that depth is mediocre. 

The challenge will be for them to develop O'Neill and get him up to speed without throwing him into the fray too soon. Rashod Hill is fine as a 3rd tackle but I don't like his chances as a full time starter. Waiting to play O'Neill until he's ready to play will hurt the team in the short run, but should help a lot in the long run. Hopefully he's able to contribute by the end of his rookie year, and in the playoffs. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, VikeManDan said:

Not sure it's been discussed. What's an ideal playing weight for O'Neill? Currently listed at 297. 315? 320?

Interesting selection, but one that I like. I think he has a chance to take over at an OT position this season. Not at the start of the season, but later on in the season when he's been coached up some more and if someone goes down. I think his athletic ability has a chance to allow him to be an anchor at OT and could work right now in and then be developed over time to be a consistent starter.