Vikings select...Brian O’Neill, OT, Pittsburgh

SemperFeist

2 minutes ago, Bermuda Viking said:

I don't think the draft has gone as hoped for the vikes here. No one slid and they had to go oline at this point so now this guy with promise. Not who they wanted originally I am sure but still good I hope.

How are you sure? They picked him over other available tackles. 

3 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I’d say it’s a toss up

Only corner worth that spot, that was left, was Carlton Davis who doesn’t track the ball very well

I’d say the taking CB round 1 and tackle round 2 paid off as there was a huge run on corners before our pick and there were tackles still available. 

Edited by rpmwr19
  • Like 1

Just now, rpmwr19 said:

Only corner worth that spot, that was left, was Carlton Davis who doesn’t track the ball very well

I’d say the taking CB round 1 and tackle round 2 paid off. 

I didn’t have CB that high on the needs list. I still would have gone OL in the first. 

With his length and athleticism, I think if O'Neil had stayed another year to get more experience and build strength, he could have been a 1st round pick in 2019. 

4 years ago he was a 230 pound TE. Put him in an NFL weight program for the next 5 months and he is gonna develop quick.

I know almost nothing about this guy but based on what little I have read and even less that I have watched since the pick it does not seem likely that he will be ready to start right away. This is not real surprising at this point in the draft. Being stuck with this as the best choice to start this year is a real testament to how poorly the Vikings managed the offensive line in free agency.

O'Neil looks to be someone that can be a solid swing backup tackle with hopes of growing into a starting tackle position. I like to see this pick here. I just wish the team didn't come into the draft with the cupboard so bare on offensive line.

Based on the numbers, I expect that he will be poor drive blocking and struggle with bull rushers early on. He should be good in the screen passing game.

I hope the Vikings don't have to force him into action before he is ready but based on previous negligence this may prove to be challenging.

O'Niell is a huge value at our pick and has a ton of potential, but he is  relatively raw and may take time to develop. He got away with using his size and physical prowess to dominate at the collegiate level and it may take him awhile to refine his technique.