Analysis

By Lance Zierlein
NFL Analyst
Draft Projection
Round 2
NFL Comparison
Richard Sherman
Overview
Davis' combination of height, weight, length and ball skills make him a nuisance that college wide receivers could do without on Saturdays. Davis has some struggles mirroring routes in space and is best as a full-time press corner who is able to use his length and strength to take wideouts out of their game. Davis plays with confidence and some edge and was able to show and prove against NFL-caliber talent over the last three years. In the right scheme, he could become a high-impact starter.
Strengths
  • Outstanding size and length
  • Bigger and longer than the average NFL cornerback with arms that dangle down his size
  • Parks himself in front of receivers in press coverage and uses wingspan to jam and blanket opponents
  • Slow releasing receivers will get owned
  • Crowds and bulls wideouts into the boundary
  • Searches for incoming throws once receiver makes his break
  • Tremendously disruptive
  • Plays high or low side of the route and attacks the throw with relentless timing and aggression
  • Had double-digit passes defensed in each of his three seasons
  • Hands are like garden rakes dragging the football away from the receiver
  • Extremely difficult to feather touch throws over him downfield
  • Has experience guarding extremely athletic and talented targets in the SEC
Weaknesses
  • Can be goaded out of early press positioning by fakes
  • Plays upright in space
  • Slow to hit brakes and challenge comeback routes
  • Long-strider in short spaces
  • Off-man can be a struggle
  • Transitions are spotty unless he reads the pattern
  • Sometimes stumbles and loses balance checking complex routes
  • Unable to mirror and match from a backpedal
  • Extremely grabby at the top of the route
  • Tugs on jerseys as recovery tactic
  • Six pass interference penalties in 2017
  • Opportunistic angles on the throw leave him susceptible to big plays when he misses
  • Takes inconsistent angles as tackler
  • Needs more fundamental strike and wrap approach
Sources Tell Us

"His own quarterback (Jarrett Stidham) stayed away from throwing to his side in practice from what a scout told me. I need to find out if he can catch it because he just knocks them down and doesn't take them away. You've got to take them away." -- NFC defensive back coach

Love this pick. Love his attitude. Definitely brings that dog attitude that Kwon has been asking for. Im not concerned about the marijuana charge. I'm more concerned with the PIs. I know he can be a bit grabby and I don't think he will get away with as much in the NFL. If we can polish up his technique I think we will be able to put him on the top receiver week after week. 

2 hours ago, What_The_Buc said:

Love this pick. Love his attitude. Definitely brings that dog attitude that Kwon has been asking for. Im not concerned about the marijuana charge. I'm more concerned with the PIs. I know he can be a bit grabby and I don't think he will get away with as much in the NFL. If we can polish up his technique I think we will be able to put him on the top receiver week after week. 

Agreed. You can teach better downfield tech. You can’t coach that physical dawg attitude.

Archived