Rd 2 Pick #60 James Washington WR Oklahoma St.

JLambert58

By more of JuJu meant a receiver that wins contested balls.  Hopefully he learns to run good routes because he gets very little separation in man coverage.  But 90+% of the WR in the draft are that way.  Just my complaint on the spread offense and the training it gives WR and CBs

16 minutes ago, jebrick said:

By more of JuJu meant a receiver that wins contested balls.  Hopefully he learns to run good routes because he gets very little separation in man coverage.  But 90+% of the WR in the draft are that way.  Just my complaint on the spread offense and the training it gives WR and CBs

Spacing wins for most receivers in those systems.  Today will be me looking more into him and Mason Rudolph.

Just watched about 5 James Washington cut ups and I like him.  He will smoke man coverage with subtle moves.  He plays under control and has a strong core.  Excels in intermediate to deep routes but has the dancing hips to easily run the quick breaking routes.  Willing blocker.  My NFL comparison is former Packers WR James Jones.

The one thing that stood out to me was he actually had an experience as a running back. His size indicates he would want to stay at the same size. I wonder if the Steelers saw that not only he could replace Bryant but play as 3rd down back in a pinch? JuJu did.

This would be interesting.

James Washington is an excellent addition to offense.  He is an explosive receiver, deep threat, and imo is going to be excellent from the slot position on crossing routes.  He has very good footwork and will compliment Brown and JuJu who will remain our top 2 WRs very well. 

As stated above, he has experience at running back as well.  Washington offers a versatile skill set that the Steelers can utilize on both offense and special teams. 

Wide Receiver James Washington/Oklahoma State

Strength:

• Seperates well from Dbs

• Plays very physical

• Deceptive Speed

• Excellent hands

• Excellent Vision

Weaknesses:

• Needs to expand upon his route tree

• Has to improve his footwork

• Not ideal receiver size

• Lacks explosive first step

Overview: Don’t let his 4.54 40 time fool you. AJ Green, Dez Bryant, & Larry Fitzgerald had 40 times ranging from 4.5 – 4.63. Arguably the NFL’s best WR ever, Jerry Rice had a 4.71 40 time. He offers us an excellent deep threat, let’s not pretend every CB in the league is blazing fast or elite in coverage. He will offer us an individual that can find the soft spots in zone and is reliable in catching the ball. He is also very durable, no injury concerns.

Archived