49ers Select Fred Warner, LB, BYU #70 Overall

y2lamanaki

6 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Article on Warner and how he fits into the 49ers plans as a new age linebacker. Fluff piece, but nice read. I'm excited to see what he can do once he hits the field. 

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/275392/49ers-hope-fred-warner-is-next-step-in-linebacker-evolution

NinerNation did a similar article where they interviewed BYU's SB Nation blog owner about Warner: https://www.ninersnation.com/2018/5/8/17331954/49ers-rookies-fred-warner-scouting-report-byu

Everything I keep hearing is that this dude is going to be legit. He was one of my draft crushes so I was very happy to see we picked him. I think he will see a lot of playing time in the Nickel and be the starting WILL by next season. If Foster can stay out of trouble, Warner and Foster are going to make a fantastic pairing at LB. They might be the best coverage tandem we've ever had. 

• 2 weeks later...

Scot M on our selection of Warner:

LB Fred Warner, third round, 70th pick: "I liked him a lot. I think he's going to be a damn good player, damn good player. If he comes in and he's not the starter right away, which I think he probably will be, you've got a really good core (special) teams guy. … This guy makes plays. He's athletic, he's got enough size to him. He can play the 'Will' (linebacker spot) or the 'Sam,' in my opinion. He's not a 'Mike' because he doesn't have the strength for it. But he's a good football player, really good football player."

Interesting that he thinks Warner can play SAM. Whatever you think about the LBs themselves, it's certainly no stretch to say getting our 3 best LBs on the field together would mean getting Foster, Smith, and Warner out there. Will be interesting to see if he's given any snaps there.

SAM LB in our system is in coverage for much of the time anyways so I don't see why he can't play that spot. Granted, it will still rush the passer, but what exactly does Harold do so well? The man gets sacks only when he comes untouched lol. 

4 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

SAM LB in our system is in coverage for much of the time anyways so I don't see why he can't play that spot. Granted, it will still rush the passer, but what exactly does Harold do so well? The man gets sacks only when he comes untouched lol. 

SAM is mostly setting the edge in our scheme. And Harold is pretty good at setting a strong edge. Warner is a WIll or Mike in our scheme which are mostly interchangeable besides the fact the Mike usually is the communicator. We basically play with 5-2-4 on Rushing downs and 4-2-5 on passing downs. So the SAM is basically the strong side OLB in a 3-4.

Harold was in coverage plenty. In fact, he was in coverage more than he rushed the passer. Yes, the SAM LB is also playing the run and setting the edge. Warner will play mainly WILL, but doesn't mean he can't play some SAM. Like y2 said, we should put out the best talent out there. 

But anyways, what happened to Harold getting tried out at LEO? Is that no longer happening? 

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Harold was in coverage plenty. In fact, he was in coverage more than he rushed the passer. Yes, the SAM LB is also playing the run and setting the edge. Warner will play mainly WILL, but doesn't mean he can't play some SAM. Like y2 said, we should put out the best talent out there. 

But anyways, what happened to Harold getting tried out at LEO? Is that no longer happening? 

The team has not gone back on that yet, so I think we are just falling back to him as the SAM as fans since that is what he played last year.  That being said, I'd imagine that he does some of both. 

14 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

The primary task of the SAM is setting the edge in the Run game. Ofcourse you can't only do that just like Earl Mitchell isn't only in on rushing downs. Usually both Harold and Mitchell had pretty similar snap counts(Mitchell most of the time played a little more). So yeah if we are in our base D the SAM will most of the time drop in coverage because you don't want to rush 5 every time. 

And Harold getting tried out at LEO should still be happening just don't see a chance he is sticking there.

7 hours ago, y2lamanaki said:

Interesting that he thinks Warner can play SAM. Whatever you think about the LBs themselves, it's certainly no stretch to say getting our 3 best LBs on the field together would mean getting Foster, Smith, and Warner out there. Will be interesting to see if he's given any snaps there.

I think we're in love with speedy lbs. It wouldn't surprise me to see those 3 out there at the same time. 

I keep watching Warner's Combine performance over and over and I'm just amazed by how fluid he is in space. I mean he looks like a DB, all jokes aside. No wasted motion, nor steps. Flips his hips, plants and is off in one fluid motion. No stiffness what so ever. Kid looks like he could be special in coverage if his instincts are there.

Archived