Is there a way to make preseason better without cutting games?

MacReady

Thinking out loud;

In soccer, the pre season is largely ignored and is not televised on mainstream TV. Teams travel to places they wouldn't usually go to play local teams (as well as media and corporate commitments), so like S.E Asia, USA etc. Then later in the program, they play fellow elite teams in those places. For example, United played Real Madrid in Cali. 

For the NFL, the equivalent could be travel to europe to play the european teams (Frankfurt Galaxy, for example) at the beginning (not televised in US). Then have 2 games of the usual format (NFL teams' rookies playing each other) on foreign soil or back home. You could also use this to appease the NFL International lobby and take the regular season game away from London. 

So they still get to hone their fitness (vs European teams), then they get the full package with 2 weeks playing NFL teams where they are free to treat it as they please.

Meh?

On 8/9/2017 at 1:22 PM, cddolphin said:

It's really not.

Shorten the pre-season by 1 game, start the regular season one week earlier, add another bye-week during the season. The NFL gets an extra week of ad revenue and players get an extra rest week.

This I'm fine with. My problem is i think the OP is an overcorrect. I dont want preseason to have any affect on who makes the playoffs. Hate how all star games give homefield adv

On 8/9/2017 at 1:52 PM, HorizontoZenith said:

If it was up to me, there would be one preseason game and 16 regular season games.  I'm hoping there's a compromise with the preseason so we don't add 18 games to the regular season.  I think that's completely and wholly stupid and would create more injuries. 

Please, they don't tackle enough so that the first two or 3 regular games all you see are bad angles and missed tackles.  Drop it down to one game and it will get worse.  Some players are game day players and don't show up well at practice when it is run at 3/4 speed and there is no tackling. HOw do yo know where you rookies are in development without see them in game conditions.  

On 8/10/2017 at 10:55 AM, Bednarik60 said:

3 games, no starters, extra week of practice to replace the 4th preseason game. 

I think the biggest issue is the CBA and how it limits practice and player/coach interactions, i think you should be allowed to practice as much as you want. 

I think there should be some, very specific limits just because coaches are workaholics and it'll quickly devolve into a 24/7/365 environment but I agree that its way too limited now. It was done to limit injuries (doesn't seem to have helped) and because the vets voting for it like having less practice (which makes sense but isn't good given the youth movement in the league). Maybe they might put some veteran excemptions into the new CBA that give them a bit more freedom in attending TC but opening up so the increasingly raw rookies (in terms of NFL offense at least) can get more work.

Archived