Is there a way to make preseason better without cutting games?

MacReady

I think you could probably get something out of it if you did these two things as well:

- Quarters shortened from 15 minutes to 10 minutes (almost shaving off 1.5 games but not taking any games off the schedule)

- "Bonus" money paid out to winners of the game (like $10k to players, coaching staff, etc).

11 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

You read about Vikings fans buying playoff tickets last year. 

That wasn't the worst idea, especially after they got off to a 5-0 start.  :D

I like the comparison to the MLB All-Star Game, because that idea was about as bad.  Exhibition games (which is what preseason games are) should remain as exhibition games, and not impact anything meaningful in the regular season.  

20 hours ago, Tugboat said:

I know i'm probably in the minority, but i love preseason football.  As somewhat of a draft junkie, it's a fun chance to see depth players you'll otherwise never get much chance to see, a last hoorah for certain college players who will spend the rest of the year on practice squads, etc.  A chance to see what your team has beyond just "the starters and backups".  Plus, there are always funny mistakes and guys laying it all out there on the field trying to sneak into a final roster spot.  You get riverboat coaching decisions and you get to see actual kick returns again.

I don't enjoy it in the same sense as actual games...but if you get into the right mindset, it's awesome.  It's all upside, lighthearted football watching fun.  No reason to be upset when you team is stinking it up or getting blown out.  Just fun to watch the good plays and see how certain guys look.  Football enthusiasm is all topped up after a long dead season.

I can understand why the more casual or less draft-focused fan might not have any interest in it.  Or spoiled fans of say...teams that actually win real games year after year with ease, might find it particularly trivial.  :D  But i enjoy it as it is, for what it is.

I am right with you here.  And as a spoiled fan of a team that wins games, I still like to watch the second and third string players fight it out in these games.  IMO this is the best way to learn about your second and third string, and rookies.  

Just now, disaacs said:

That wasn't the worst idea, especially after they got off to a 5-0 start.  :D

I like the comparison to the MLB All-Star Game, because that idea was about as bad.  Exhibition games (which is what preseason games are) should remain as exhibition games, and not impact anything meaningful in the regular season.  

It's a better idea than adding two regular season games.  Two more regular season games is going to give you more meaningless games than keeping 4 semi-meaningful preseason games. 

I wonder if the first roster cut elimination will do anything to change the level of play for the final preseason game. Perhaps not since most players who would have been cut already will not be on the bubble for their respective teams.

Maybe if the ever institute a small offseason league they could hold their draft for it right after the last preseason games so those guys getting cut have more to play for.

2 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

It's a better idea than adding two regular season games.  Two more regular season games is going to give you more meaningless games than keeping 4 semi-meaningful preseason games. 

I disagree that those 2 games would be meaningless.  Last year, there were 7 teams within 2 games of the last wildcard spot in the NFC (from 7-9 to 9-7) and there were 5 in the AFC (from 8-8 to 10-6).  If anything, they would have more meaning.  

I do think, ideally though, the best compromise is the conversion of 1 preseason game to a regular season game and making that either an international game (most likely) or a neutral site game set in a non-NFL US city.  

I like the idea of cutting it to two games. Adding one game to the regular season and adding a bye week. I think the extra bye week cancels out injury problems. 

If the concern is lost revenue, let the teams schedule one "game" in the preseason like they currently do with intersquad scrimmages. Just televise it. 

One seriously easy and simple fix to the preseason would be to completely eliminate game stoppages. 

No challenges.  No reviews. 

I think one of the worst things about what the NFL has done recently is when it decided to automatically review all turnovers and touchdowns.  That completely eliminates the excitement of the game.  Four years ago you'd see a TD or a turnover and you'd be able to yell and scream in excitement.  Now you can't even enjoy them anymore, especially not the ones that are remotely questionable, because they're reviewed. 

21 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

One seriously easy and simple fix to the preseason would be to completely eliminate game stoppages. 

No challenges.  No reviews. 

The preseason is also for coaches and "quality control" coordinators (the guys in the booth who radio in to challenge) to get on the same page. Same with officials, especially with all reviews now coming from NY.

Novel idea but this would interfere with some of the mechanics that the teams and crews need to get down.

Archived