Winner & Losers from Day Two

bomont

BTW, re: WAS - Payne was good value, although Vea would have been a monster pick IMO.   

But, I remember talking to @Woz & @HTTRG3Dynasty , @MKnight82 and maybe a couple of other WAS guys here last week - and there was a ton of love for going Guice at 1.13, because they didn't think he'd last to 2.44.   I was saying they should wait, and let Guice fall to someone else, and go with another RB off the Big Board, and they kept repeating how much WAS wanted Guice.   So they were torn on the choice of Vea/Payne or Guice at 1.13.

Instead, with the drama, they got BOTH guys, AND by correctly deciding that Guice was going to keep falling, moved back to 2.59 from 2.44 to still get him, and then ended moving up 50 spots from Rd5 to get a nice developmental T in Christian at 3.74.  Wow at that turn of events.

So. imagine if WAS had gone Guice at 1.13.  Then gone with whoever at 2.44.   No #74 pick, no top 2 DT.   

I get why 'Skins fans are excited - they got the 2 guys they were torn on at 1.13 (I still say Guice would have been a horrible reach then, but it's moot).  And they added a developmental T with a top 75 pick for free (well, a 5th).  Guice's fall gave them Payne 1.13 and Christian 3.74 instead of their 5th round pick and whoever would be there at 2.44.  For what they were originally considering doing, this was a MASSIVE best-case outcome.   

I'd normally say this could be one of the all-time Machiavellian Lying Season moves orchestrated by the WAS FO - but we all know Snyder & Bruce Allen are not smart enough for this level of engineering for Guice's last minute fall.  They're just the beneficiaries lol. 

25 minutes ago, MightyMouse07 said:

Sadly the NFC East as a whole did a great job yesterday.

Also really like what the Packers are doing. It's been a great draft for them.

Doubling up on CB and getting the 2nd and perhaps the 4th best CB in the class, while still adding a 2019 1st, is huge.    And I loved Burks' skill set as an ILB, he was one of my DEN targets at 3.99, 4.106 & 4.113 to address our need there.     CHI & GB really nailed their first 3 picks for value.   MIN did well with Hughes, I get taking O'Neill Rd2, but I wonder if going Will Hernandez / Carlton Davis wouldn't have been a better result.  Hindsight's 20-20, though.    DET I have to admit that while I get the Ragnow pick, wasn't a big fan of Johnson (his style the risk of breaking down early worries me), and I probably would have gone Harrison or Moore, depending on what you were looking for, over Walker.  

19 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

I'd normally say this could be one of the all-time Machiavellian Lying Season moves orchestrated by the WAS FO - but we all know Snyder & Bruce Allen are not smart enough for this level of engineering for Guice's last minute fall.  They're just the beneficiaries lol. 

100%. As the old cliche goes, sometimes its better to be lucky than good. 

22 minutes ago, MightyMouse07 said:

Agreed. Giants have hit it outta the park with their picks in my opinion. Great job at hitting value vs need. Unfortunately. 

Love how the Packers have played this draft as well. Trading back and still getting the top two corners in the draft AND picking up an extra 1st rounder for next year was masterful. 

The room is very quiet about the Chiefs. Two trade ups for 3-4 DL did not sit well. Then a 223 pound LB with the last pick of the night.

Still, this draft will go a long way towards sealing the run defense, which has been the big problem.

1 hour ago, MightyMouse07 said:

Our new GM, Gutey as we call him, is a refreshing change over Thompson so far.

1 hour ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Que? 

Not a fan of Miller or Daniels.  They wasted a high second then traded away a future second for a wide receiver who isn’t even as good as St. Brown and he is still on the board.  Just my opinion though, wouldn’t argue with someone who felt otherwise.

5 minutes ago, Profound23 said:

Not a fan of Miller or Daniels.  They wasted a high second then traded away a future second for a wide receiver who isn’t even as good as St. Brown and he is still on the board.  Just my opinion though, wouldn’t argue with someone who felt otherwise.

Well James Daniels was pretty much universally graded by professional pundits as a 1st rounder, largely considered the best center prospect in the draft, both the most athletic AND technically proficient iol prospect in the draft.  And was highly coveted by the guy who many consider the best ol coach on the planet in Harry Hiestand.  

As for Miller vs St. Brown, idk what to even say about that take.  It cant be box score scouting bc Millers #s are thru the roof. It certainly isnt watching tape.  Idk name scouting? School scouting? Id just suggest you go watch them play.

17 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Well James Daniels was pretty much universally graded by professional pundits as a 1st rounder, largely considered the best center prospect in the draft, both the most athletic AND technically proficient iol prospect in the draft.  And was highly coveted by the guy who many consider the best ol coach on the planet in Harry Hiestand.  

As for Miller vs St. Brown, idk what to even say about that take.  It cant be box score scouting bc Millers #s are thru the roof. It certainly isnt watching tape.  Idk name scouting? School scouting? Id just suggest you go watch them play.

When I grade it is based on what my opinion, not pundits.  I watched a lot of both.  Bears have spent the last two years giving away too many picks.  If Tribusky and Miller work out then it’s worth it, if not they’re setting themselves back even more.

I thought if they wanted a wideout they should’ve went Sutton over Daniels.  They also passed on Landry, Gesicki, and Josh Jackson who I think will  be better than Daniels.  When they traded up I thought maybe Washington or DJ Chark  at wideout or DB Oliver/Donte Jackson.

I thought they did a great job in the first round, after that not so much.  You feel differently and could be right.  We will find out in a year or two.

I think Roquan Smith, Josh Jackson, and James Washington would’ve been the better picks.  However, either way I would not have traded a future second.  If they go 3-13 or 4-12 (could easily happen in that division) that’s almost a 1st round pick they gave up along with other picks for a wide receiver I just don’t think is any good on the NFL level.

Archived