2.27 (59) Washington Redskins select Derrius Guice, RB, LSU

Woz

2 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

Who was the Penn St R B we have a few years back.. Weird name , wore 29.. He was fast but ran straight into people. Though he made a classic hurdle once I remember .

Never mind -Roy Hulu

Evan Royster went to Penn State. He wasn’t very fast but he had good vision, kind of like Alfred Morris but Morris was tougher and ended up being better. Royster was only on the Redskins in 2011 & 2012. He was drafted in 2011 in the 6th round. 

In the 2011 draft we drafted Roy Helu from Nebraska in round 4 (actually Shanahan traded up to draft him). Then, he took Royster in round 6. Both players were good in 2011 and flashed some. They both had 100 yard games as rookies.

I remember being against the Alfred Morris pick in the 6th round of the 2012 draft because we already had Helu and Royster and both had had 100 yard games in 2011 as rookies. Royster had 100 yard games in week 16 & 17 in 2011. 

I thought the Morris pick was a wasted pick...

Boy was I wrong! ? He should still be on our roster.

12 hours ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

If that "clumsiness" knocked Derrius Guice down a round from where his value said he probably should have one, then "thanks, clumsy media!" A rare time some did this franchise an unintentional solid.

10 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Still GIDDY, am I. 

Rarely, does a player I adore end up on a team I like, and was hoping he'd go to. 

.. and to land him at #59 after gaining a 3rd in trading back ???? 

b6czrs.gif

7 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Derrius Guice shirt

What’s funny is going into this draft I was so high on Guice and Payne. Of course Guice came later because I only watch a few LSU games live. Most of their games I watch after I’ve scouted every team because I struggle with that school. This guy has me very excited. This was the player this team needed along with Payne!! I was happy with either or I said my dream would be to grab both. I’m excited to watch this team!!

http://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/36525/dont-forget-the-popcorn-derrius-guice-treats-fans-to-avengers

Little bit more on it.

Ive said it, and said it in the past. Hes quirky, a little different, but in good and positive ways.  Reading any negatives totally blew my mind. Seeing about some altercation, first thing I thought was a joke or something he was trying to be humorous about backfired. Sure weve all had that happen. I seem to have that all the time with how delicate you Americans are. (my example of how it could lol)

Lazy: Been first to show up, squats more than any in the league, battled Fournette for playing time.

Character Issues: Plays video games. Gives his personal time to fans. Doesnt drink. Has never done drugs. No arrest record.

GEAUX TIGERS!

I'm completely rooting for the kid. Sounds he's a cross of early Clinton Portis' goofiness (in a good way) with Alfred Morris' down-to-earth-ness.

Again, thanks rumor mill! :D

No doubt: SEC coaches, analysts convinced in Derrius Guice

McElroy, who played at Alabama and now serves as an analyst for ESPN’s SEC Network, reached a conclusion the Washington Redskins hope becomes an accurate foreshadowing.

“I like Sony Michel, I like Nick Chubb,” McElroy said, “but I thought Guice was better than both.”

And then McElroy referenced Fournette, Guice’s LSU teammate who was the fourth overall pick in 2017 and helped Jacksonville reach the AFC Championship Game.

“I liked Guice as much as I liked Fournette coming out,” McElroy said.

Those who watched him, coached him or coached against him don’t doubt his ability. In three yeas at LSU, Guice ran for a combined 3,074 yards, having split time with Fournette in 2016.

“We recruited him, so we knew in high school he was a very competitive player,” Alabama coach Nick Saban said. “He’s tough, got a little dog in him in terms of when you play against him, he’s fighting for everything he gets. The guy has good ability and he’ll be a good player. I always had a tremendous amount of respect for him.”

“He’s big and strong enough to be good in blocking and he’s an outstanding route-runner,” said LSU offensive coordinator Steve Ensminger. “He has great ball skills and catches well. We just didn’t do it much [with the backs]. But he’ll adapt to that well. I’ve seen him do it in practice. Once a week in the season we went through pass protection and he was as good as there was in one-on-ones with the linebackers. He surprised us with his pass protection and route running.”

Archived