2018 Ravens 3rd Round Pick (#83) - Orlando Brown Jr, OT, Oklahoma

drd23

Overview
Tackle with poor athlete traits, but rare size and length whose massive frame can work for him in pass protection and against him in the run game. Brown is a waist-bender with shoddy footwork and a tendency to play too straight-legged. These physical limitations create a much smaller likelihood for recovery once he's beaten. With that all said, he typically gets guys blocked and he clearly understands how to use his size and length to his advantage. Brown's physical traits and nasty demeanor give him a chance to become a decent starting right tackle if he can be coached to lessen his physical deficiencies and can keep his weight in check.
Strengths
  • Massive frame combined with outstanding arm length make him a challenge to get around
  • Able to seal down blocks with his huge frame alone
  • Nasty finisher who is looking to intimidate and overwhelm the man across from him
  • Linebackers looking to take on his second level blocks can be engulfed
  • Hands are heavy in pass protection and in run game
  • Kick-slides gain impressive ground in setting out to edge rushers
  • Consistent with punch timing
  • Can completely derail a pass rusher's game plan with early jabs into his frame
  • Uses maximum arm extension most of the time
  • Will not be bull rushed
  • Good recovery blocker thanks to length and strength
  • Doesn't always look pretty, but can ride rushers past the pocket
  • Keeps his feet moving and alive in pass protection
  • Comes from NFL bloodline
Weaknesses
  • Has leverage issues due to high center of gravity
  • Not a natural knee bender
  • Down blocks land way too high and carry very little drive on them due to lack of bend
  • Overshoots targets on second level and roller skate by
  • Foot quickness below average
  • May need to play with more vertical sets to help him keep NFL edge benders from turning his corner
  • Less strong than he is big
  • Needs to shoot punch with more quickness and less wasted motion
  • Will open and lunge at times when rushers start to make their turns along the rush arc
  • Has troubles with redirecting weight with adequate balance
  • Fails to clamp into defender's frame and sustain blocks through hand strength
  • Willingness to maul could lead to spike in holding penalties
  • Limited area of effectiveness as run blocker
  • Slow lateral movement off the snap
  • Historically bad Combine results

I was down on Brown for the first or second round because of a historically bad combine, but I really like the pick in the third, especially after we traded back.

Also, love seeing Mulitalo (that tie length!).  In awe of that lad.  Absolute unit.

2 minutes ago, Darth Pees said:

Can anyone tell me what the plan is for James Hurst now?

Will battle it out with Brown for RT in TC imo.  At worst he's a utility OT/OG for a couple of years on a not terrible contract and then gets gut in 2020.

Lewis is still the presumptive LG in my mind

1 minute ago, drd23 said:

Will battle it out with Brown for RT in TC imo.  At worst he's a utility OT/OG for a couple of years on a not terrible contract and then gets gut in 2020.

I don't think you can justify paying Hurst that money to have him be a backup utility OL.

Don't write off Siragusa or Elumenour yet. 

Just now, Darth Pees said:

I don't think you can justify paying Hurst that money to have him be a backup utility OL.

Or they don't think that contract is as significant as you believe it is. Just saying, it's a possibility ;)

Just now, drd23 said:

If we've seen anything, it's that we need depth at OL.

Hurst is, at the very least, the swing man as he can play 4 of the OL positions (G and T).  He may start the season at RT or OG, though, due to experience/familiarity.

1 minute ago, Darth Pees said:

His cap numbers over the next two years are $2.25m and $4.75m - that's hardly significant money in the NFL

1 minute ago, Darth Pees said:

It's sub-starter money for OL. There's value in his ability to play four of the positions on the line and familiarity with the team.

Also, you're acting like you're shocked that we drafted an OL.  This is something we were all expecting/hoping for.  Am I misunderstanding?  

3 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

Don't write off Siragusa or Elumenour yet. 

I won't be surprised if Siragusa starts TC on PUP, which would make it very difficult for him to earn a starting job this year

Archived