3.10 (74) Washington Redskins select Geron Christian, OT, Louisville

Woz

I'm still working my way through the draft discussion thread, but are we thinking this guy stays a tackle (targeting him as a Nsekhe replacement as swing tackle) or do they move him inside (he's a bit light for a tackle)?

Just now, Woz said:

I'm still working my way through the draft discussion thread, but are we thinking this guy stays a tackle (targeting him as a Nsekhe replacement as swing tackle) or do they move him inside (he's a bit light for a tackle)?

Sounds like Nsekhe might get a shot at LG.  This guy probably isn’t strong enough right now to start at Guard.  He excelled at both LT and RT so he’s an ideal swing tackle.

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

Sounds like Nsekhe might get a shot at LG.

That's realistically only a short term, band-aid solution given that Nsekhe is 32 (turns 33 in October) and is only under contract for this year.

3 minutes ago, Woz said:

That's realistically only a short term, band-aid solution given that Nsekhe is 32 (turns 33 in October) and is only under contract for this year.

IF he proves up to the task he could be an option for 2-3 years.  If not I'm sure Guard will be a priority in next year's draft.  

Just now, MKnight82 said:

IF he proves up to the task he could be an option for 2-3 years.  If not I'm sure Guard will be a priority in next year's draft.  

Probably should be priority now, simply for depth purposes. As it stands right now, the interior offensive line options (excluding Brandon Scherff and Chase Rouiller):

• T Ty Nsekhe - 32 (unrestricted free agent after season) [assumes he moves to guard]
  • C Tony Bergstrom - 31 (unrestricted free agent after season)
  • G Orlando Franklin - 30 (unrestricted free agent after season)
  • G Arie Kouandjio - 26 (unrestricted free agent after season)
  • C Demetrius Rhaney - 25 (unrestricted free agent after season)

The only backup interior linemen who could be on the roster past the end of the 2018 season are Alex Balducci (some reserve/future contract guy they picked up; has played in on two games in two years), Tyler Catalina, and Kyle Kalis. That assumes any of these guys make the roster this season.

4 minutes ago, Woz said:

Probably should be priority now, simply for depth purposes. As it stands right now, the interior offensive line options (excluding Brandon Scherff and Chase Rouiller):

• T Ty Nsekhe - 32 (unrestricted free agent after season) [assumes he moves to guard]
  • C Tony Bergstrom - 31 (unrestricted free agent after season)
  • G Orlando Franklin - 30 (unrestricted free agent after season)
  • G Arie Kouandjio - 26 (unrestricted free agent after season)
  • C Demetrius Rhaney - 25 (unrestricted free agent after season)

The only backup interior linemen who could be on the roster past the end of the 2018 season are Alex Balducci (some reserve/future contract guy they picked up; has played in on two games in two years), Tyler Catalina, and Kyle Kalis. That assumes any of these guys make the roster this season.

I don't disagree, and I hope we add an interior Olineman prospect later in the draft.  But do you really want to spend our 3rd AND 4th round picks on backup Olineman for this year?  We could use that pick on a depth player on the defense, who is much more likely to see the field in rotations.  

I’m a big Nsecke supporter and he should have been starting the last two years. Also don’t sleep on Kalais- the kid was very tough in college and I thought he outplayed Catalina should have made roster but kalais is a guard and they clviewed Catalina as a guy who could backup both guard and tackle. Maybe they learned from his dismal performance last year.kalais was on a practice squad last year 

I’d never heard of this guy before but he’s supposed to be very long with great feet but under powered and at worst will be on our practice squad 

41 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I don't disagree, and I hope we add an interior Olineman prospect later in the draft.  But do you really want to spend our 3rd AND 4th round picks on backup Olineman for this year?  We could use that pick on a depth player on the defense, who is much more likely to see the field in rotations.  

Well, if we're moving our existing swing tackle inside to start at guard, I would argue that Christian is going to get playing time given the health track record of both Trent and Moses. Further, given that we have essentially nothing but patch jobs as backups in the interior of the line, getting the depth would be crucial with the idea that said backup would (hopefully) step up and become the 2019 starter (2018 starter would be even better).

2 hours ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

Regarding Ty Nsheke.  Can anyone name any other 6'8" guards?  I'm coming up blank.  I predict a lot of Smith passes bouncing off of his helmet if he moves to LG.

Nope but smith throws to running backs mostly anyway. It’s not ideal him at guard but him or Frankenstein ( lauveo) the bama bust (Arie K) or Catalina is worse. I hope kalais wins the position 

2 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

I'd like to see this guy used in some 6 lineman goal line sets.  Heck, with his athleticism play him as a blocking TE at times.  

Good idea! Didn’t we try some linemen as a full back last year or was it all a dream? Yes, we still need a starting LG

7 hours ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

Regarding Ty Nsheke.  Can anyone name any other 6'8" guards?  I'm coming up blank.  I predict a lot of Smith passes bouncing off of his helmet if he moves to LG.

Alex Boone was this height, and played well for a while. There are a couple others, I think, but the names elude me right now. 

Of course being that tall can have some big disadvantages, but it's not insurmountable. If dude can play, he can play. 

Archived