3.10 (74) Washington Redskins select Geron Christian, OT, Louisville

Woz

8 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

Alex Boone was this height, and played well for a while. There are a couple others, I think, but the names elude me right now. 

Of course being that tall can have some big disadvantages, but it's not insurmountable. If dude can play, he can play. 

Leonard Davis 

5 hours ago, Doc Draper said:

Nope but smith throws to running backs mostly anyway. It’s not ideal him at guard but him or Frankenstein ( lauveo) the bama bust (Arie K) or Catalina is worse. I hope kalais wins the position 

It's a strange and outdated myth.

About 400 of his 500 passes last yr went to non-RBs.. same for the yr before. Less often than Drew Brees, to be sure. 

Back in the day, I guess he threw more often to Jamaal Charles.. who shouldn't? :P 

2 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Leonard Davis 

I'm seeing 6' 6" on him, but yeah.. still not a huge deal. Hold up your fingers and measure out 2 inches. It's just not.. the end all be all. If a dude can get low or compensate for the extra height, it can work.

I actually love this pick. 3 year starter and earned All-ACC honors this year. By all accounts, he is very long, athletic and has the feet that you can't teach a 300 pounder. Getting stronger is his biggest need and thats EXACTLY what we were told when we drafted another 3rd round tackle, Morgan Moses. With the question marks at OT (in terms of health), this is smart pick for a need that isn't immediate but could become one sooner than later.

Do not forget how desperate the Redskins were along the offensive line with all the injuries. Depth is super important, and this guy has upside. Also, you can find OGs later in the draft. Finding athletic OTs....not so much.

6 minutes ago, A TRAIN 89 said:

I actually love this pick. 3 year starter and earned All-ACC honors this year. By all accounts, he is very long, athletic and has the feet that you can't teach a 300 pounder. Getting stronger is his biggest need and thats EXACTLY what we were told when we drafted another 3rd round tackle, Morgan Moses. With the question marks at OT (in terms of health), this is smart pick for a need that isn't immediate but could become one sooner than later.

Do not forget how desperate the Redskins were along the offensive line with all the injuries. Depth is super important, and this guy has upside. Also, you can find OGs later in the draft. Finding athletic OTs....not so much.

It wasn’t my favorite pick but I completely understand it. After the disaster that happened last year with the injuries to Trent, Morgan and Ty they had to get a talented back up. I would’ve liked to see Rankins be the pick so he could slide right into the guard position but they’ve done well so far. Complaining now is just nitpicking. 

5 hours ago, oldman9er said:

About 400 of his 500 passes last yr went to non-RBs.. same for the yr before. Less often than Drew Brees, to be sure. 

Back in the day, I guess he threw more often to Jamaal Charles.. who shouldn't? :P 

Cousins threw most of his passes to Chris Thompson & TEs too. I don’t know why people keep bringing that up about Smith. If it works, do it. 

5 hours ago, A TRAIN 89 said:

Great points

15 hours ago, oldman9er said:

Good points. He’s not John Beck, the king of checkdown charlies, but he’s no mark rypien either. A west coast guy get the ball out quick on 3 step drops and most comfortable with a great TE and RB. The potential issue is Doctson doesn’t win in the first 5 yards and can’t get off press coverage and Reed spends more time in the tub than on the field. 

On 4/28/2018 at 11:57 PM, Doc Draper said:

Good points. He’s not John Beck, the king of checkdown charlies, but he’s no mark rypien either. A west coast guy get the ball out quick on 3 step drops and most comfortable with a great TE and RB. The potential issue is Doctson doesn’t win in the first 5 yards and can’t get off press coverage and Reed spends more time in the tub than on the field. 

Rypien had a strong arm, but no mobility and no touch. Rypien also had the best OL in history protecting him and was throwing to one hall of fame wr (Monk) and another who had a hall of fame type career ( Clark). Rypien’s 3rd WR would’ve been a starter on almost every other team in the nfl (Sanders). Rypien had an embarrassment of riches in the one good season and one great season in DC out of the 6 he had in DC. He was a one great year. It was a damn special year and he caught lightning in a bottle, but sadly he couldn’t sustain it. 

9 hours ago, A TRAIN 89 said:

2 words...

TJ Clemmings

I hated it when they signed him.. I remember him being awful at the Combine. He surprised me when he played fairly well and he looked quick outta the gate. I'm looking forward to see if he can make the team this year if he's recovered from whatever ( never knew or read ) put him on I R . 

2 hours ago, Marcus21 said:

After listening to Doug Williams interview with Kevin Sheehan on  ESPN The Team 980, it sounds like Nsekhe will get a shot to play left guard this year.

Better late than never, should have happened in 2015 after Lauvao got hurt instead of inserting Lereibus and Long instead of him. If we had done that, we could’ve cut Lauvao after the 2015 season.

I was really impressed with the draft and free agent signings Just finished watching game tapes of Hamilton- oh I was wrong on this guy, he has some incredible skill). I was always concerntrating on DL line when watching these games live. I really like his potential.

Now to the bad news. Geron- his 2017 game tape vs Clemson and NC State. This one is a mystery to take him the 3rd round. Yes, he's big frame, and does have nice feet, but he isnt even the best lineman on Louisville. He gets no push in run game and seems very passive and his best blocks are when he gets in the way of the defender. 

its way to early to make predictions- but I will anyway.

Payne will be a solid two down run stuffer and will help Allen and others get sacks. 

Guice- my favorite pick by far. 

Geron- he is my prediction for three years taking space on the roster (hard to admit you whiff on a 3rd) and then he hits the streets never cracking the starting lineup. 

Archived