3rd Round Pick (88th Overall): Oren Burks [LB; Vanderbilt]

CWood21

1 minute ago, cannondale said:

Yea - but I'm wondering if our DL can keep our guys clean enough that he can eventually start. As I said, Ryan's contract is up after this year

Ryan will only be worth 3-4m per and if he keeps playing the run like he has, is worth that IMO. He probably resigns.

2 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

SMH, when they announced Burks on the NFL channel, they literally had no comment.  Maybe Mayock was taking a leak?  Not a single comment by anyone about him.  Glad to hear others are praising him.  I’m ok with it.

When they get into the 3rd round they start skipping some guys.

3 minutes ago, Gopackgonerd said:

When they get into the 3rd round they start skipping some guys.

Yeah, not enough time.  I’m wondering how the draftniks grade GB thus far.  I’d give em a B, if only because they haven’t  addressed other needs and not because of the talent they’ve picked.

21 minutes ago, SSG said:

He's also the same size as Kam Chancellor and like 5 lbs bigger than Obi Melifonwu.  

Not sure Shazier is a great example as he was never able to stand up to the punishment that ILB presented.  Not only is his NFL career likely over but he missed a substantial amount of time in every NFL season he played in because his body was incapable of withstanding the punishment required from his position.  

Again, the game has changed. Teams are looking for playmakers on the defensive side of the ball with speed and athleticism. You seem to be more at adds with the defensive philosophy of Mike Pettine, moreso than the personnel decisions. Honestly, what we have in Green Bay right now is probably one of the better pass rush personnel packages that Mike Pettine has had as a DC. Certainly better than what he had with the Jets. The collection of pass rushers when he was with the Jets wasn't very impressive. He didn't have a 10+ sack guy his entire tenure in New York. That's just the way his system works.  Pettine can manufacture a pass rush. His system is all about disguising the pressure, not necessarily just relying on a couple guys or bookends to consistently bring the heat. I actually think that there is more talent on the defensive side of the ball than on offense. Dom Capers just wasn't getting the most of out it. He hung around way too long. The writing was on the wall after the 2012 playoffs that the guy could not game plan against a team or make adjustments. We've invested a ton of draft capital into the defensive side of the ball to the detriment of the offense. We actually have one of the slowest offenses in the NFL. The best pass rushers Pettine had in New York were Calvin Pace and Shaun Ellis at the end of his career until they drafted Wilkerson who is now on our defense.

Box safety; covering TE and RBs would be a great niche for him to fill.  We get burned by TEs running away from our plodding LBs in the middle of the field.  He's got the speed and height to match up well with TEs.  He's smart.  He's raw.  I think they are fairly confident they can 'coach him up' so he can contribute in some way.  For a smart guy, his instincts apparently aren't all that great; hopefully, they'll improve with more reps.

Just now, HighCalebR said:

This is basically the position he'll be playing. Box Safety, TE RB cover guy. He shouldn't be taking on G's every play. 

I understand.  He's going to be a part time player who will lucky to see the field on 25% of defensive plays.  He'll most likely be a much bigger ST contributor next year than defender.  Its great to have an upgrade for Joe Thomas but Thomas played in only 10% of defensive snaps last year.  

I wouldn't dislike the pick so much if we weren't completely ignoring positions like Edge and WR.  Nothing like going into a season needing huge seasons from guys like Kyler Fackrell and Gerinimo Allison.  

11 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Ryan will only be worth 3-4m per and if he keeps playing the run like he has, is worth that IMO. He probably resigns.

If he resigns, it would be because he remains a integral component on special teams. I’m not giving a second contract to a JAG, unless he really stands out in some regard. His role may be one of the easiest positions to draft due to the abundance of the body type relatively speaking...

My thoughts so far watching his Bama/Tennessee tape. 

Im not too impressed with him albeit I only watched 2 games. He seems like a safety who isn't a great tackler playing ILB. His highlights look better but overall I'm not feeling him so far. His athletic traits and combine is really impressive. Hopefully he'll turn into a better tackler putting on a few pounds. Feel like we have a guy in Josh Jones can play the role he's gonna play but I guess they are really set on him playing SS.

Archived