3rd Round Pick (88th Overall): Oren Burks [LB; Vanderbilt]

CWood21

11 minutes ago, bkobow05 said:

Deion Jones is 6'2" 220. Roquan Smith is 6'1" 225. If we had either of them, he wouldn't be bitching about size.

Its like you think that every defense in the NFL runs exactly the same scheme.  Because a 220 MLB can have success in Atlanta that he can play in any scheme, on any team.  

I'd have been pissed about a Roquan Smith selection and I   don't think Jones would have the same effectiveness in Green Bay.  If you swap him for Ryan last year, he'd have been mauled.  

Just now, Cakeshoppe said:

In the presser they said they expect him to add weight before September

Urgh.

Joe Thomas is 227lbs

Derwin James is 215lbs

Josh Jones is 220lbs

Deion Jones is 222lbs

Kam Chanellor is 232lbs

Deone Buccannon is at 222lbs

Ryan Shazier is 230lbs

Myles Jack is an outlier at 244lbs

Burks would be hitting near 240lbs if he adds another 7lbs which is now linebacker size territory....but dont we want him to be able to cover TEs and RBs which is essentially the main function for a moneybacker? asking him to add weight makes no sense to me.

1 minute ago, bkobow05 said:

Kinda except LVE is a physical freak due to how big he is and how he's able to move with that much size. Burks is better value though IMO. They both have similar issues too.

I thought burks was firmly in that physical freak category along with Lorenzo carter and josh sweat and lve and ward and josh Jackson and a few others. 

Was burks one of the pre draft visits?

1 minute ago, skibrett15 said:

I thought burks was firmly in that physical freak category along with Lorenzo carter and josh sweat and lve and ward and josh Jackson and a few others. 

Was burks one of the pre draft visits?

Burks is a freak but he's not quite as freaky as LVE.

Just now, bkobow05 said:

Burks is a freak but he's not quite as freaky as LVE.

Ok. I like that they are both versatile players who can defend the pass. This defense needs pass defenders in all shapes and forms. Burks can rush and cover. He doesn't excel vs the run or taking on blocks and he's too small. Good. Idc about run defense anymore. This is the nfl in 2018

Do your homework people, they brought this guy in and talked to him a few times. If you are shocked by this selection you didn't pay any attention to anybody we checked out before the draft. I'm slightly surprised we traded up for him instead of grabbing him early in 4th, but we must have really wanted him. 

1 minute ago, cooters22 said:

Do your homework people, they brought this guy in and talked to him a few times. If you are shocked by this selection you didn't pay any attention to anybody we checked out before the draft. I'm slightly surprised we traded up for him instead of grabbing him early in 4th, but we must have really wanted him. 

Very real chance that he was the guy the Rams were targeting with the pick we jumped ahead of.

Just now, skibrett15 said:

Ok. I like that they are both versatile players who can defend the pass. This defense needs pass defenders in all shapes and forms. Burks can rush and cover. He doesn't excel vs the run or taking on blocks and he's too small. Good. Idc about run defense anymore. This is the nfl in 2018

Where 3 RB's were selected in the first round. 

1 minute ago, Cakeshoppe said:

yes

Cool. Some of the others on there have to be in play... esp the o line guys I would think. Aside from kolton miller Obviously. 

Looking at that list, we were checking on first rounders in our range (vea/Derwin James/mike Hughes) so it seems we had a good idea who would be there. But we didn't go for either of our CB picks in a visit so perhaps a little gamesmanship there. 

Archived