3rd Round Pick (88th Overall): Oren Burks [LB; Vanderbilt]

CWood21

18 minutes ago, SSG said:

Its like you think that every defense in the NFL runs exactly the same scheme.  Because a 220 MLB can have success in Atlanta that he can play in any scheme, on any team.  

I'd have been pissed about a Roquan Smith selection and I   don't think Jones would have the same effectiveness in Green Bay.  If you swap him for Ryan last year, he'd have been mauled.  

If you have a good DL, they can keep Blocks clean off LBs so guys like Roquan can do what he does best. 

1 minute ago, cooters22 said:

Do your homework people, they brought this guy in and talked to him a few times. If you are shocked by this selection you didn't pay any attention to anybody we checked out before the draft. I'm slightly surprised we traded up for him instead of grabbing him early in 4th, but we must have really wanted him. 

I didnt know anything about Burks - but thats not unusual for me. I dont watch college football and dont know the full spectrum of players / talents out there. Its really as simple as that. I was freaked cause I was hopeful we'd sign a talented WR - simply because I think the position group needs an infusion of new blood/talent - and those WR's were getting plucked off one by one....

Then we signed another LB and I was "what?" It is what it is and I'm just hopeful the team can snag some talented guys tomorrow (its before midnight still......).

We shall see and hope springs eternal.

38 minutes ago, bkobow05 said:

My thing with him is this...He's immediately going to get to plays that our past linebackers simply couldn't get to. Even just hindering those plays a bit will make a massive difference. Whether it be a deflection or even simply slowing his guy down. He's not a finished product at all, but the tools are scary. LIS on page 6, if he ran a 4.5 he goes before a ton of the other off the ball backers. He's versatile and it's going to be fun watching how Pettine uses him.

No question he's a great specimen not denying that, I just didn't see that translate to the field besides his coverage ability. But ya I agree he isn't a finished product, I just hope he turns into a better tackler, saw him bouncing off guys on film.

Love this pick as well.  Burks played three different positions his last three years at Vandy.  So he doesn't have a ton of experience at LB, but he shows very good instincts which can be fine-tuned.  And he is crazy athletic.  

Also, he should be a nice boost to special teams.  

18 minutes ago, bkobow05 said:

Very real chance that he was the guy the Rams were targeting with the pick we jumped ahead of.

Gotcha, the first I heard of that, thanks for info. I know we wanted him, like I said I thought he was gonna go maybe a round later, but not shocked. Yeah we didn't get our edge guy yet, but this still covers a need. We obviously want more team spead, and this allows Josh Jones to play maybe a true safety. This kid is supposedly a good special teamer as well. 

Via Ben Fennell

An older article on Burks and the hybrid position evolution. Versatile guys who can do more than one thing well

https://www.seccountry.com/vanderbilt/film-study-oren-burks-the-latest-in-football-evolution

"The 6-foot-3, 222-pound Burks is a former full-time safety. The Commodores now list him as their “star” linebacker. His task is simple, yet complex: make plays anywhere and everywhere. In this era of spread offenses, defenses are constantly looking for new advantages and ways to adapt. Vanderbilt coach Derek Mason has been at the forefront in thinking up inventive ways to slow down prolific attacks.

The latest advancement is hybrid players. Some are a hybrid safety/linebacker, others are a hybrid linebacker/defensive lineman. They allow defenses to run different fronts and packages without having to substitute. Burks provides Vanderbilt a true rarity: a player who can play at all three levels of the defense."

23 minutes ago, cooters22 said:

Gotcha, the first I heard of that, thanks for info. I know we wanted him, like I said I thought he was gonna go maybe a round later, but not shocked. Yeah we didn't get our edge guy yet, but this still covers a need. We obviously want more team spead, and this allows Josh Jones to play maybe a true safety. This kid is supposedly a good special teamer as well. 

Kiper mocked Burks to the Rams in round three, not that that means a damn thing, but it does show there may have been some interest by other teams in him.

30 minutes ago, Leader said:

After watching watching mostly slow arse, unathletic, and ultimately ineffective ILBers year after year Gut shatters his predecessor's mold and uses the highest selection on an ILBer in 12 years to draft an athlete for the position.

As soon as Pettine came on board, I predicted Ryan would see the biggest decrease in playing time among returning defenders.

Just can't have that sort of liability in the passing game playing so many snaps. 

If Burks does not surpass Ryan in 2018, he (or some other replacement) will in 2019 when Jake's contract is up.

I like the idea of drafting a LB with great measurables that can play off the ball.  The little tape available on him doesn't look promising.  If he is better than Joe Thomas, which is realistic, we will be okay.  I don't anticipate that he will turn into a stud, but his measurables and athleticism sure look nice

Archived