2018 Ravens 3rd Round Pick (#86) - Mark Andrews, TE, Oklahoma

drd23

Overview
Andrews is a former wideout who plays with a receiver's mentality in a tight end's body. He is a pass-catcher with a deft feel for route adjustments and operating in space against zone coverage. Andrews is a big, reliable target who doesn't need a spacious catch window to haul it in. Despite his size, he lacks the desire and fundamentals as a blocker which will hurt his standing with some teams. He should be able to find early catches and production as a solid pass-catching tight end in the league.
Strengths
  • Took on additional workload this year and produced at a high level
  • Red-zone rainmaker with a touchdown in every five catches
  • Crafty in adjusting routes
  • Not overly sudden or quick, but finds ways to uncover
  • Uses body to leverage positioning at the top of the route
  • Can mismatch defensive backs with his frame
  • Has shown ability to handle complex routes
  • Plays with consistent pace through route breaks to optimize separation in tight spaces
  • Has learned to catch defenders on his hip and keep them there through the catch
  • A quarterback's friend with ability to drop and save the low throw as well as secure contested catches in traffic
  • Has footwork and athleticism to make tacklers miss
  • Averaged 15.8 yards per catch for his career
Weaknesses
  • Appears noticeably slower than earlier in his career
  • Looks bulkier and more limited in his athletic movements
  • Will be an inconsistent third-level option
  • Doesn't have the acceleration to pull away from man coverage down the field
  • Pulls up a little short when tracking deep throws
  • Separation windows close quickly on him
  • Gives poor effort as a blocker
  • Lacks aggression
  • Doesn't look for work enough
  • Hand usage and angles to his work as a blocker are poor
  • Big but unreliable in running game
Sources Tell Us

"He's a great big slot receiver. That's it. He won't block at all so what do you have other than a big slot who is an average athlete? I gave him a Day 3 grade." -- AFC regional scout

I know a lot of Ravens fellows don't like this pick, but I'm NOT one of them. 

This dude is a 3rd down machine, a great slot receiver. I think he ends up as one of those guys that do not receive massive hype from fans during the draft but he is going to be a huge part of our offensve going forward. 

Interesting pick. Don't mind him as a prospect, but I wonder where/when he's going to play. Boyle and Williams are in the final year of their contracts though so this might be a pick made with next season+ in mind more so than right now. 

But, Andrews can catch the ball. There's no doubt about that. And it's not like Snead/Brown are going to be playing 100% of the snaps so there's some room available (assuming Hurst/Boyle/Williams are at TE all the time). I'm reading the Ravens see some Dennis Pitta in him... yeah, kind of. Would like to see them use Andrews more as a big slot than in-line like they were wont to do with Dennis though. 

3 minutes ago, coordinator0 said:

Would like to see them use Andrews more as a big slot than in-line like they were wont to do with Dennis though. 

Roman's presence should ensure the difference is always highlighted. I love how they're burning out the rot in our pass catchers. We have almost Stockholm Syndrome with accepting mediocrity from skill positions. I would LOVE if they put the final nail in the coffin and drafted Ian Thomas at great value in the 4th. Final contract year blockers with red flags at the Tight End position shouldn't prevent an influx of new talent.

It's odd to see them pour into the offense like this, and I expect it will continue on Day 3.

Yeah, I didn’t like him when he was getting the first round buzz. I always felt like he was visible behind the big 3 (Goedert, Hurst, Gesicki) on tape. That said the one thing I liked about Andrews was his physicality after the catch. He was constantly dragging guys. He does an excellent job in route running as well.

I think it’s obvious now that Boyle and Maxx will be competing for that 3rd TE spot. I also think it’s likely that whichever player wins the battle, we’ll keep the other player on speed dial assuming they clear waivers.

25 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Yeah, I didn’t like him when he was getting the first round buzz. I always felt like he was visible behind the big 3 (Goedert, Hurst, Gesicki) on tape. That said the one thing I liked about Andrews was his physicality after the catch. He was constantly dragging guys. He does an excellent job in route running as well.

I think it’s obvious now that Boyle and Maxx will be competing for that 3rd TE spot. I also think it’s likely that whichever player wins the battle, we’ll keep the other player on speed dial assuming they clear waivers.

Waller to PS.

Williams to PUP to start year.

Boyle 3rd TE to start year.  Waived when Williams is back.  On speed dial thereafter.

20 minutes ago, berlin calling said:

do they even consider him a TE or more as a big slot in the mold of Eric Decker? he will not be assigned w/ any blocking responsibilities from all i read about him so for now i'll consider him a 3rd round WR to make me feel better B|

Yeah, he's pretty much a wide receiver. It remains to be seen what the Ravens want to do with him though. I'm not ruling out them wanting to "convert" Andrews to an inline tight end. Which would be bad, and a misuse of his talents.

2 hours ago, coordinator0 said:

Yeah, he's pretty much a wide receiver. It remains to be seen what the Ravens want to do with him though. I'm not ruling out them wanting to "convert" Andrews to an inline tight end. Which would be bad, and a misuse of his talents.

I disagree. Andrews is 21. We didn’t see Goedert improve as a blocker to a respectable level at the collegiate level until he was 22 years old.

Unless you mean strictly inline then I agree. But I definitely think he can develop an inline skillset to increase his versatility. Kind of like how Ed Dickson, if he had hands, was more versatile. Granted, I agree that we should definitely split Andrews out into the slot as a Y receiver more often than not as a rookie as he develops as a blocker.

I would compare Mark Andrews to a very poor man’s Rob Gronkowski. He’s not as explosive and powerful, he’s also one dimensional as just a receiving threat (at this point), but between his sneaky athleticism, savvy route running, strong hands, and physical ability after the catch, it’s just been a comparison that I’ve always seen with his tape. I think splitting him out wide is the smart plan early on, he can be a mismatch threat for sure, but I don’t think he’s dominant enough athletically to make a career as a big WR. That’s just my 2 cents though.

I don't ever expect him to become a plus blocker but he does need to improve his toughness. He's soft, Denzel Ward lit him up in college and so did our boy DeShon Elliot. For a big guy he really can't take a big hit. A TE or even a big slot WR in the AFC North can't have DBs ending him the way he has had in the past. Besides that, this move and the Hurst pick must be growing fear in the steelers. They can't cover receiving TEs and now we can exploit that.

Archived