With the 93rd overall pick, the Jacksonville Jaguars select Ronnie Harrison, S

.Buzz

On 4/30/2018 at 2:24 PM, Tugboat said:

Calais Campbell for instance, is arguably our very best player and a huge component in the upturn of our defense last year.  Expecting a guy like Taven Bryan to take over from that in a few years without missing a beat is extremely optimistic, and imo farfetched.  It'd be absolutely phenomenal if it happens, but i wouldn't exactly count on it.  I think you can call that a succession plan in terms of hopefully maintaining a "good" defense without too many gaping holes. 

I think you’re more expecting that someone like Yan develops into a player at the level of CC and that someone else develops to the level of current Yan. Or maybe you don’t get someone to CC’s level, but the progression of Yan, Jack, Bryan collectively fill that hole.

And I mean the more you invest into the defense, the more chances you have at finding a real replacement for a player.

On 02/05/2018 at 12:11 PM, iPwn said:

I think you’re more expecting that someone like Yan develops into a player at the level of CC and that someone else develops to the level of current Yan. Or maybe you don’t get someone to CC’s level, but the progression of Yan, Jack, Bryan collectively fill that hole.

And I mean the more you invest into the defense, the more chances you have at finding a real replacement for a player.

But Yan is already part of what made our defense elite.  How much better is he going to get to offset the loss of arguably our best player on top of what he's already contributing?

You do have to keep investing in the unit if you want to not fall off a cliff...i just think it's overly optimistic to think it's realistically not going to drop off quite a bit over the next few years even with these substantial pick investments.  Especially picking so much lower, as we'll hopefully be doing.  Hard to count on massive overachievers like Yan and Telvin every year to offset attrition.

It's going to be so much harder to keep everything together financially too.  We had the unique ability to roll over absurd masses of capspace when assembling this elite defense as is.  In the coming years, we're not only going to be going without that huge advantage in flexibility to just go out and "buy" the last pieces we needed (Calais, Malik, Church, Bouye, Gipson all big money FA pickups)...we're also going to be contending with impending megadeals for our own homegrown talent like Jalen and Yan.

I get wanting to keep the defense from eventually just turning into mush.  But i think that has to be balanced against the idea that we're probably not going to have an opportunity to spend so freely and have the right pieces together like this to create an elite defense for a very very long time, outside of this brief window.

Archived