Bucs draft OT Alex Cappa - SIGNED

bucsfan333

33 minutes ago, Lil' Shorty said:

I think he should stick around as a backup regardless, but will he want to be a backup?

I dunno. We seem intent on him strictly playing RG. We've shuffled our line around to accommodate just that. I think Sweezy's lack of versatility kinda kills any chances of him being a reserve. Especially with guys like E Smith, Benenoch, and now Cappa.

Evan Smith can play all three interior positions. Benenoch can play either guard spot and RT. And Licht said Cappa has the potential to play all five spots on the line. That really leaves Sweezy as the odd man out.

1 hour ago, bucsfan333 said:

I dunno. We seem intent on him strictly playing RG. We've shuffled our line around to accommodate just that. I think Sweezy's lack of versatility kinda kills any chances of him being a reserve. Especially with guys like E Smith, Benenoch, and now Cappa.

Evan Smith can play all three interior positions. Benenoch can play either guard spot and RT. And Licht said Cappa has the potential to play all five spots on the line. That really leaves Sweezy as the odd man out.

IIRC Sweezy cap # jumps up on a certain date. I want Cappa to compete for the job but I doubt Licht wants to pay up to $9mil for a back up G

Just now, indifference said:

IIRC Sweezy cap # jumps up on a certain date. I want Cappa to compete for the job but I doubt Licht wants to pay up to $9mil for a back up G

We'd save $5M by cutting him. But we'd eat ~$2M in dead cap space over 2019 and 2020. Which is nothing, really.

If we can't find a safety we like in the draft, I could see him being cut so we can bring one in. Hopefully he gets healthy soon. We restructured his contract for injuries. I've gotta assume there's something in there for an injury settlement upon his release.

We've got ~$12M to sign our draft picks. But we're probably gonna need more money to make a small move or two during the season for injuries. Not to mention all the UDFAs we're gonna bring in.

So I found this on cappa, it sounds a bit less subdued then some on here 

Pre-Draft Analysis

Cappa is a developmental interior prospect who ideally shows the ability to fill in at center and guard. He might never develop into a starter but has the mental and physical toughness to become an above average backup.

4 hours ago, REDandPEWTER said:

Love the Cappa pick. He reminds me of Andrew Norwell who was a UDFA FYI. Dudes a beast. 

If we get half of Norwell’s productivity it’s a huge win. Having Jensen and Marpet should help him tremendously imo.

26 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

Need to change the thread title.

I imagine we're looking at a future of Benenoch at LG and Cappa at RT.

Interesting. I like the pick even more by Licht if that’s the case. I’m not getting my hopes up with Benenoch. Know the guy’s older brother personally so its all love and respect but dude is just a developmental player who needs more coaching. Our future G to replace Sweezy isn’t on the roster yet. Next year we can place that as a priority once again.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived