Round 3, Pick 82- S Tracy Walker

Louis Friend

2 hours ago, Superduperman said:

Man you're silly

So we're supposed to believe that anything we hear about other teams wanting our picks is crap, not worth a damn, but we're supposed to take your word for it that the Patriots are some kind of genius mastermind manipulators and no other teams have scouts or can form their own opinions. foh with that crap

Btw "the Patriots" didn't start in the SEC for three years with Arkansas level talent around them and not give up a sack.

You didn't answer the question or get my point..

2 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

For those of us who actually want to learn about our newest DB (and cousin to current Pro Bowl CB), I found a Youtube video that might be of interest. Quinn also referenced the Texas A&M game as one of his references for evaluating him.

You can now go back to debating the Ragnow pick in the wrong thread.

Big thing for me is his age and how long it may take him for nfl speed and schemes.. 

On 5/1/2018 at 7:41 AM, Rockcity2 said:

I think this is such bs.. how do they know what other teams are thinking... a lot of players got picked before others can pick them...

Sounds like some bs to justify the pick.. hearing this dumb **** makes me hate a pick more.. oh so your heard someone likes walker so take him two rds earlier than he should go hey guys that's a bad thing...if we lose walker is it really that big of deal wtf... then bc the fuc king patriots like ragnow we can't trade down this is sick and all these picks should be judged to the highest.  I can't stand hearing this bs to justify a draft sounds fake and you have no plan b

I agree, total bs IMO. I really question the Johnson pick and the Walker pick. Of the 2 I prefer the Walker pick as I saw nothing in Johnson that suggests success to me at the next level. He goes down at the first contact and is not a punishing nor a break away threat, he is absolutely nothing special.

I really know little about Walker, so I cannot really say much one way or another, I just hope he pans out.

I have nothing against the Ragnow pick, He is a very solid prospect, who beat out to other fine OC's to get picked ahead of them and that is  definite positive.

17 hours ago, Rockcity2 said:

You didn't answer the question or get my point..

Why was he a late riser? I dunno man, I'm not an NFL scout. I didn't hear it from someone on ESPN, anyway.

If you're telling me it was because the Patriots manipulated the media to raise him above Wynn bc that's who they wanted, and the Lions made a pick based on that instead of their own scouting, I don't even know where to start on that.

36 minutes ago, Superduperman said:

Why was he a late riser? I dunno man, I'm not an NFL scout. I didn't hear it from someone on ESPN, anyway.

If you're telling me it was because the Patriots manipulated the media to raise him above Wynn bc that's who they wanted, and the Lions made a pick based on that instead of their own scouting, I don't even know where to start on that.

IMO more often than not these “late risers” are guys the NFL teams have higher than the media and media starts hearing tidbits about how some teams feel about them and adjust.

I really feel like they’re going to give this a guy a shot at CB. I’ve seen that there were a few opinions out there where they would like to see him as a bump and run corner on the outside as long as there was a rangy safety over the top

1 hour ago, Superduperman said:

So this type of thing never happens then right... the patriots never play with the media.. why then do they even refer to the patriots then..oh the patriots like him media said so so it's ok..it sure isn't as cut and dry as you make it out to be..everyones not trying to help each of especially this time of year. Is what it is believe what you will..i don't believe this is fairly land... all I fn wanna know what we're the trade down options for that pick

46 minutes ago, theuntouchable said:

IMO more often than not these “late risers” are guys the NFL teams have higher than the media and media starts hearing tidbits about how some teams feel about them and adjust.

I really feel like they’re going to give this a guy a shot at CB. I’ve seen that there were a few opinions out there where they would like to see him as a bump and run corner on the outside as long as there was a rangy safety over the top

This is 100% right. "Late risers" aren't really a thing. Teams were always high on him, Bob Quinn even mentioned that they wanted to keep their interest in him quiet after having a quick, informal meeting with him at the combine. The media just catches onto those opinions late and they bump them up their rankings to look smarter 

55 minutes ago, theuntouchable said:

6 minutes ago, IDOG_det said:

This is 100% right. "Late risers" aren't really a thing. Teams were always high on him, Bob Quinn even mentioned that they wanted to keep their interest in him quiet after having a quick, informal meeting with him at the combine. The media just catches onto those opinions late and they bump them up their rankings to look smarter 

So your telling me the media can't see a top prospect at a postion.. but you and I can..come on now. This just feeds into what I'm talking about... did the pats let the media know he was a first rd guy...come on now

1 minute ago, Rockcity2 said:

So your telling me the media can't see a top prospect at a postion.. but you and I can..come on now. This just feeds into what I'm talking about... did the pats let the media know he was a first rd guy...come on now

No, I'm telling you that NFL teams and a small group of people in the media liked him that much. It has nothing to do with the Patriots "leaking info" to the media to get them to change their mind in the hope that other teams will change their board because Mel Kiper and Daniel Jeremiah talked favorably about a few highlights. Teams don't care what the draft media guys says. They develop their boards, they won't change it because those fools suddenly had a change of heart after "reviewing the tape". Put away the tinfoil hat. The majority of the media that covers the draft are absolutely clueless when it comes to offensive line. When they get tipped by a scout that they're too low on a guy, they often listen. Some of the guys that actually know a thing or two actually really liked Frank Ragnow. Jon Ledyard and Brandon Thorn were especially big fans of Ragnow. 

17 minutes ago, IDOG_det said:

I heard on an "Inside the Lions" podcast that this exact same thing happened with Ansah and Schwartz. He tried to bury him at the Senior Bowl so that other teams wouldn't see the talent and they could keep their interest quiet. He blew up in the game and then his stock rose as a result. There were still a lot of questions about him (externally) but we clearly were high on him for a long time.

6 minutes ago, Rockcity2 said:

So our draft has been done since the combine.. nice to know

Screw the trade down options tho

My post was in reference to Ansah in particular but the teams have scouting departments that are working on evaluations for at least 1-2 years on these guys. They create their big boards based on all of that work and then will tweak things along the way. If the board falls the way they are comfortable with and they expect to get the guy or 1-3 of the guys they want later on, then they will trade down. They wanted Ragnow and expected him to be picked by a few teams immediately behind him. They liked Walker and expected a team that also liked him to take him. They got their guys where they felt comfortable that they could.

We can all like or dislike the picks - it doesn't matter because these are the players who are now on our team. Let things play out and see what happens.

2 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

My post was in reference to Ansah in particular but the teams have scouting departments that are working on evaluations for at least 1-2 years on these guys. They create their big boards based on all of that work and then will tweak things along the way. If the board falls the way they are comfortable with and they expect to get the guy or 1-3 of the guys they want later on, then they will trade down. They wanted Ragnow and expected him to be picked by a few teams immediately behind him. They liked Walker and expected a team that also liked him to take him. They got their guys where they felt comfortable that they could.

We can all like or dislike the picks - it doesn't matter because these are the players who are now on our team. Let things play out and see what happens.

Well he better be a flippn probowler to give up multiple picks. You and everyone else are acting as if it was ragnow or nothing else ..

So no one on here would be mad if a trade involved a next year's first rd pick..just glad to have a center..

32 minutes ago, Rockcity2 said:

Well he better be a flippn probowler to give up multiple picks. You and everyone else are acting as if it was ragnow or nothing else ..

So no one on here would be mad if a trade involved a next year's first rd pick..just glad to have a center..

That's what they're expecting him to be. I wasn't in the war room with them so I have no idea if it was 100% Ragnow. There's a video from the war room where they are breathing a sigh of relief because the Packers passed over him. This is a video from PFF on Ragnow. They clearly are high on him and rank him the best OC prospect they've ever scouted. Take it for what it's worth but I'm not going to complain about getting the "best ever" at a position of need.

Archived