Rnd3 pick 1- OT Brandon Parker

NCOUGHMAN

I've been able to justify the other selections to a degree but this is the first one I just flat out don't agree with. I am all for investing in the trenches but there were other players at positions of need that I had much, much higher in value than Parker. 

Rasheem Greene, Justin Reid, Malik Jefferson, even Orlando Brown at the same position. Hopefully the kid proves me wrong but I just don't see it with him. Round 5 or later as a project, no better than Sharpe last year. 

I watched some Brandon Parker cutups, including most of his snaps from the Senior Bowl and I think I have a pretty good preliminary handle on him:

Strengths:

• He has size and length of weeks.
  • Very athletic at his size. He's not gangly or uncoordinated for someone with his height or length.
  • He has the feet to recover when beat.
  • He moves to the second level very well and shows burst off the line on down blocks and pulls.
  • Pass sets on he left side are pretty good, and he has a strong punch against pass blockers. As a pure pass protector, he's a bit more polished than Kolton Miller.

Weaknesses:

• Because of his height, he can get out-leveraged pretty easily. Tyquan Lewis backed him up pretty easily in the Senior Bowl. I also noticed leverage problems against the weak competition he faced in his no-name conference.
  • He's a left side only player, in my opinion. I saw a only a handful of snaps of him on the right side after the half during the Senior Bowl, at it was clear his technique doesn't flip. It was like watching a right handed person write with their left hand.
  • He plays top heavy and easily gets tossed aside by defensive ends.
  • Besides the Senior Bowl, there isn't much on him going up against close to NFL caliber talent.

If Donald Penn is cut, I suspect Parker would be the favorite to start on the left side.

I liked Parker as a developmental pick but thought he would go later. Have to wonder whether Sharpe simply isn’t a fit for Cables OL.Strange pick given we picked up Miller but they obviosly like the guy. Hopefully Penn can help these guys for a year.

3 hours ago, Dessie said:

I liked Parker as a developmental pick but thought he would go later. Have to wonder whether Sharpe simply isn’t a fit for Cables OL.Strange pick given we picked up Miller but they obviosly like the guy. Hopefully Penn can help these guys for a year.

Sharpe isn’t a fit for the NFL. I think his best option is to try to stick at guard.

11 hours ago, CaliforniaKid7 said:

I've been able to justify the other selections to a degree but this is the first one I just flat out don't agree with. I am all for investing in the trenches but there were other players at positions of need that I had much, much higher in value than Parker. 

Rasheem Greene, Justin Reid, Malik Jefferson, even Orlando Brown at the same position. Hopefully the kid proves me wrong but I just don't see it with him. Round 5 or later as a project, no better than Sharpe last year. 

With his forty time above 5.4 most teams are not going to touch him.  I pointed this out when people were wondering about Vadal Alexander falling.  Also with the us being this aggressive with the o-line maybe there is something with Penn that we do not know about.  He might not play anymore.

So Miller at RT as a rookie and probably Parker at LT next season after Penn is gone. Thinking ahead but in a defensive heavy draft, we seem to be reaching for protection for Carr.

9 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

This is the one pick I just don’t like. I still had hope for David sharpe... even a trade up too... idk I could be wrong... honestly people can assume but we never know

I don’t really like any picks up to this point, at least not where we picked them.  They all have potential, but non are considered NFL ready.  

Archived