Rnd3- DE Arden key

NCOUGHMAN

14 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Actually I think Hall is more stout against the run/double teams (see that insane squat), meaning he'll play early downs, but Hurst is a little more slippery and has more moves.

Our interior rush was cripplingly bad last year. Either Autry would come in and sucked against the run and would rush ok, or Vanderdoes would do virtually nothing, or Mario, who was great the first 3 or 4 weeks, was also pretty bad inside.

If our interior rushers are better this year, our pass rush will be significantly better, even if Mack isn't here. 

I'm hoping we use Fadol Brown a decent amount this year. His body type reminds me of Michael Bennett, who was also an undrafted guy in Tampa before coming on for Seattle. He wins in similar ways to bennett. With hand usage and power, rather than with speed and bend off the edge. I actually think he's more ready day 1 than Key is. I'm hoping either him or Key become a full time starter this year. I'm kinda meh on Carradine. As a run defender, he's fine. But his upside is low IMO.

Tomato/tomotto (is that how to spell that?). I don't disagree, but it has sounded as if PJ has been a little more flashy. I agree that it won't be hard to see an improvement from our interior DL.

Also agree on Brown/Carradine though I think you're higher on Brown than I am. Regardless, I love our DL depth. Would have been downright scary if we still had Mack.

1 minute ago, Silver&Black88 said:

Tomato/tomotto (is that how to spell that?). I don't disagree, but it has sounded as if PJ has been a little more flashy. I agree that it won't be hard to see an improvement from our interior DL.

Also agree on Brown/Carradine though I think you're higher on Brown than I am. Regardless, I love our DL depth. Would have been downright scary if we still had Mack.

You may be right but Hurst's spin move sack was my favorite play of preseason.

22 hours ago, Silver&Black88 said:

No dude, take it as a positive like me. Sounds like he's getting outshined. If he wasn't, he'd be our starting 3T over PJ Hall.

I think with Hall's size he's just better suited to play against the run. Hurst is what? 270 pounds?

2 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

You may be right but Hurst's spin move sack was my favorite play of preseason.

I thought Key got the sack on that one? Or was that a different play?

35 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I think with Hall's size he's just better suited to play against the run. Hurst is what? 270 pounds?

That's true and is kind of what I meant by tomato/tomotto.......he has higher value in the eye of the coaches because he's more equipped to handle double teams. Can be construed as outshined. Plus Hall was getting hyped by Vic/Levi for his work in one on one's in Training Camp.

On 9/14/2018 at 8:43 PM, roi34 said:

Key 5 sacks is good starting point. 

If he gets 3 sacks it's a poor career arc we're looking at. Unless the pressures and ability are obvious as they were with Mack's 1st year. 5 sacks would be better no doubt but still nothing astounding. If he had 8, then I'd buy that maybe he'll be a "top 5 in the draft" (as Von Miller put it) type player going forward. Not saying less would be a disappointment, because it is an unreasonable expectation. But he's not any sort of steal in my mind unless he puts up some actual numbers. Rather than swimming in unwarranted hype for years like typical Raider players do -  see Mario Edwards and his career 5.5 sacks.

With 3 sacks, you could pretty much put anyone considered qualified to play in the NFL at full time DE and they'll get 3 sacks. If they can't, then it essentially constitutes "unqualified to start at DE in the NFL".

Same story goes for Hurst and Hall to some degree. I know they are rookies, that is clear. They were abominable week 1, Goff's clean pockets were blimp sized. For game 1, that's fair enough and somewhat expected. As the season goes on they must improve and produce, if they do not and cannot then they're just 3 more Edwards, Vanderdoes, Ward JAGs for the DL. 

Archived