If I were the GM, this is who I would have taken:

DR43

1.Justin Reid, Safety, Stanford

2. James Washington, WR, Ok St

3a. Sam Hubbard, OLB, OSU

3b. Mason Rudolph, QB, Ok St

I really like the Ok St duo, and I honestly think it bodes well for Rudolph that he has a WR coming with him that he's already comfortable with. I do believe Mason would've been there with our second 3rd round pick.  

56 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

1.Justin Reid, Safety, Stanford

2. James Washington, WR, Ok St

3a. Sam Hubbard, OLB, OSU

3b. Mason Rudolph, QB, Ok St

I really like the Ok St duo, and I honestly think it bodes well for Rudolph that he has a WR coming with him that he's already comfortable with. I do believe Mason would've been there with our second 3rd round pick.  

Why would you still have chosen James Washington?

I have nothing against the guy but we're not exactly in dire need of WRs.

2 minutes ago, DR43 said:

I love his speed and long ball ability.  When I look at the run of players that occurred, James Washington just makes sense with that pick.  Its hard to say I'd pick someone else knowing who the picked considering how much I personally like him.

1 minute ago, DR43 said:

if AB or JJSS go down, the next man on the depth chart is Justin Hunter ?   AB and JJSS work best when there's a deep theat on the roster stretching the Safeties and keeping them honest. Further, it's obvious they think BB will retire after this year, so they're all in on offense to both try to win now, and ease the transition for the new QB.

7 minutes ago, DR43 said:

Can I ask you how you could possibly say that?? Who are you comfortable starting as our #3 WR right now? Or #4 at that 

On 4/28/2018 at 12:33 PM, JPeezy55 said:

Can I ask you how you could possibly say that?? Who are you comfortable starting as our #3 WR right now? Or #4 at that 

Who do you feel comfortable starting at inside linebacker? Who do you feel comfortable with starting as our number two corner? How about pass rusher?

it's not that wide receiver wasn't really a need at all... it's that it wasn't remotely close to one of our top needs.  And James Washington, Imo, was a major reach. Not sure why Steeler fans seem to think we need early round picks rounding out our entire wide receiver Corps.  We have the best receiver in the game, and the guy who could very well be the best number 2 wide receiver in the NFL this year. Then, factor in that Le'Veon Bell is essentially our third receiving option. Then factor in that Vance McDonald will likely see a lot more balls this year. With all that said, what exactly made wide receiver a second-round need? It was a deep wide receiver draft as well. Could have went and sign someone like Jeremy Maclin to be our number three, and then drafted a receiver in the 4th or 5th round. That would have been more than ideal in my opinion.

7 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Who do you feel comfortable starting at inside linebacker? Who do you feel comfortable with starting as our number two corner? How about pass rusher?

it's not that wide receiver wasn't really a need at all... it's that it wasn't remotely close to one of our top needs.  And James Washington, Imo, was a major reach. Not sure why Steeler fans seem to think we need early round picks rounding out our entire wide receiver Corps.  We have the best receiver in the game, and the guy who could very well be the best number 2 wide receiver in the NFL this year. Then, factor in that Le'Veon Bell is essentially our third receiving option. Then factor in that Vance McDonald will likely see a lot more balls this year. With all that said, what exactly made wide receiver a second-round need? It was a deep wide receiver draft as well. Could have went and sign someone like Jeremy Maclin to be our number three, and then drafted a receiver in the 4th or 5th round. That would have been more than ideal in my opinion.

I'm not a big James Washington fan either, but WR was a need after MB was traded. I feel comfortable that between Bostic, Williams and hopefully 1 of Edmunds/Allen there will be serviceable pieces in place for the season. I'm comfortable with Artie Burns as our #2 corner and WR (after the MB trade) was a MUCH bigger need than corner. Pass rusher, I will concede, I hate our situation there. I'm still not saying I don't think Washington was a reach, but we needed a WR

Factor in the fact that at any point if AB or JuJu go down, that leaves the depth chart absolute barren. (Marcus Tucker, Trey Griffey, DHB, Justin Hunter, Quadree Henderson, Justin Thomas, Tevin Jones) 

Factor in a guy who is holding out on his contract and won't guarantee when he shows up for camp, or if he'll even show up before Week 10? And a guy who has only played 1 full season between injuries and suspensions (Granted one of the best in the league when at full speed and arriving without drama)

Factor in Vance McDonald who only played in 10 games last year because of injuries and no guarantees he will be any better. And an average TE cast behind him

I still don't love the Washington pick, but it was clear for months that him and Rudolph were two guys Colbert and Tomlin were in love with. Washington put up gaudy numbers at OKST. granted in a video game offense vs horrible defenses. I agree that they could and should have gone LB/Edge earlier and actually helped them out, and could have gone WR later, but the pick happened and there's no changing it now.

50 minutes ago, JPeezy55 said:

I'm not a big James Washington fan either, but WR was a need after MB was traded. I feel comfortable that between Bostic, Williams and hopefully 1 of Edmunds/Allen there will be serviceable pieces in place for the season. I'm comfortable with Artie Burns as our #2 corner and WR (after the MB trade) was a MUCH bigger need than corner. Pass rusher, I will concede, I hate our situation there. I'm still not saying I don't think Washington was a reach, but we needed a WR

Factor in the fact that at any point if AB or JuJu go down, that leaves the depth chart absolute barren. (Marcus Tucker, Trey Griffey, DHB, Justin Hunter, Quadree Henderson, Justin Thomas, Tevin Jones) 

Factor in a guy who is holding out on his contract and won't guarantee when he shows up for camp, or if he'll even show up before Week 10? And a guy who has only played 1 full season between injuries and suspensions (Granted one of the best in the league when at full speed and arriving without drama)

Factor in Vance McDonald who only played in 10 games last year because of injuries and no guarantees he will be any better. And an average TE cast behind him

I still don't love the Washington pick, but it was clear for months that him and Rudolph were two guys Colbert and Tomlin were in love with. Washington put up gaudy numbers at OKST. granted in a video game offense vs horrible defenses. I agree that they could and should have gone LB/Edge earlier and actually helped them out, and could have gone WR later, but the pick happened and there's no changing it now.

You certainly have a different Viewpoint than me in terms of how this team is built and who you have confidence in.

I'd have much more faith in our wide receiver Corps even if the third wide receiver was a complete no name then I currently have in our inside linebacker or cornerback units. 

The injury argument doesn't support the case because it can be made for any position. It's easier to find a decent wide receiver then it is to find a decent corner back. Sure if Antonio goes down, we're in trouble. That's the case anytime you lose a top player at a given position.

You basically say we can't depend on McDonald or Bell, and that's a fair argument, but I don't understand how you have faith in either of our inside linebackers or Artie Burns. Both Vince Williams and Jon Bostic are backup caliber players. Artie Burns hasn't shown much to prove he is even a remotely decent starter. Joe Haden and Mike Hilton are the only two corners on our team I have any faith in. Hoping Burns can develop with better coaching, but he reminds me of a poor man's Ike Taylor.

What's done is done, so it doesn't really matter what I think... But I feel the front office failed miserably in putting this team in BETTER position to win THIS year...  which is what it should have been focused on... Not two to four years down the road.

On 2018-04-28 at 5:00 AM, DR43 said:

1. Harold Landry, Edge, Boston College

2. Justin Reid, Safety, Stanford

3a. Mark Andrews, TE, Oklahoma

3b. Josey Jewell, ILB, Iowa

I'm waiting to see how this all plays out. These picks we got could work in a different scheme. The OT might turn into a solid back up 3rd OT with munchak teaching him and this is valuable IMO.  Allen might be a LB and he hits.  If Adeniyi gets a chance, I think he could help the team. 

but our GM thinks like this:

Pittsburgh Steelers

OLB Bud Dupree

Why his contract was picked up: The Steelers believe Dupree is an ascending player despite totaling 14.5 sacks over three years. He has played through various injuries. And he was explosive when utilizing his high-level size and speed. General manager Kevin Colbert tipped his hand in March by saying that Dupree was "just scratching the surface" of his potential.

What he needs to do to get a second contract: Put together a complete season. Dupree can look dominant one game and simply blend in the next. Staying healthy and contending for a season of double-digit sacks would quell any concerns about Pittsburgh investing long term. Creating a few more turnovers wouldn't hurt, either. Dupree has one forced fumble and zero interceptions. ;)

8 hours ago, 3rivers said:

Pittsburgh Steelers

OLB Bud Dupree

Why his contract was picked up: The Steelers believe Dupree is an ascending player despite totaling 14.5 sacks over three years. He has played through various injuries. And he was explosive when utilizing his high-level size and speed. General manager Kevin Colbert tipped his hand in March by saying that Dupree was "just scratching the surface" of his potential.

What he needs to do to get a second contract: Put together a complete season. Dupree can look dominant one game and simply blend in the next. Staying healthy and contending for a season of double-digit sacks would quell any concerns about Pittsburgh investing long term. Creating a few more turnovers wouldn't hurt, either. Dupree has one forced fumble and zero interceptions. ;)

?

Yeah.   Not sure I remember these games where he has been dominant.    He has had numerous flashes, and maybe a QUARTER where he was impressive, but I dont recall him ever having a full game where I was really impressed with him.

Bottom line is, there wasnt much logic to picking up his 5th year option.   This reminds me of the Jason Worilds situation a bit, but at least Worilds was coming off his best season (which wasnt even that good).    They just seemed to pick it up because they are worried about him POSSIBLY having a big CONTRACT year and not being able to retain him next year.

The Steelers have failed miserably at drafting and developing pass rushers since Harrison and Woodley were our top guys.     In the past, they seemed to put a heavier emphasis on finding quality pass rushers and less on the secondary to stop the pass.    Now, they focus on the secondary....but the problem is, this team sucks at evaluating secondary talent.     They obviously suck at evaluating pass rushers now too....and thats a big big problem. 

I wont say Dupree doesnt have any potential left.....but when a player has failed to progress much in his first 3 years, its pretty telling what direction they are heading in.     I know someone will point out James Harrison, but Harrison showed potential for years before he broke out in 2007....he just wasnt coachable early on and refused to learn the intricacies of the defense.     Dupree, I thought make break out going into 2017, but I saw zero progression.   Still tries to rely entirely on his athletic skills and has no instincts or technique to really speak of.    Its why alot people didnt like the pick to begin with.    I didnt HATE it because I thought he could be coached up, but either he isnt smart enough to learn, is foolish enough to believe he can win with JUST his physical tools OR the coaches, starting with Porter, arent doing a good enough job.

EIther way, I have very little faith in Dupree becoming anything more than maybe a decent situational pass rusher, and even that is a long shot.   

3 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

EIther way, I have very little faith in Dupree becoming anything more than maybe a decent situational pass rusher, and even that is a long shot.   

exactly, and this is the result of being the starter until he gets injured. I doubt they bench him  either  as long as he is healthy

1 hour ago, 3rivers said:

exactly, and this is the result of being the starter until he gets injured. I doubt they bench him  either  as long as he is healthy

I wouldnt go that far.

The real problem, as I see it, is that they have no one to really push him for the starting spot.   Oh wait, they have Keion Adams.....wasnt that Colbert's moronic excuse for not taking a pass rusher?

But hey, we desperately needed a 2nd round WR, a backup QB and backup OT moreso than we needed a pass rusher.  

7 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

I wouldnt go that far.

The real problem, as I see it, is that they have no one to really push him for the starting spot.   Oh wait, they have Keion Adams.....wasnt that Colbert's moronic excuse for not taking a pass rusher?

But hey, we desperately needed a 2nd round WR, a backup QB and backup OT moreso than we needed a pass rusher.  

I went that far because from what I have seen with dupree at OLB, to me the reason he must be starting is because they are trying to prove they didn't jarvis again.  I just don't see any reason why dupree should start other than this athleticism they talk about.   We don't have higher draft picks to push dupree , which is what I wanted them to do in the draft.  I was a disappointed in colbert's draft as anyone from our needs point of view. If these players do well here (eventually) thats good, but as it is pass rush isn't improved. 

I think if Adeniyi gets a chance, he will continue to get snaps. I just hope it isn't too late (for the season) before he does.  He's our only hope unless they (finally) decide on a continuous 4 man front with Heyward at LDE Watt RDE and then the 2LB 5DB or other DB arrangements.  I just hope dupree doesn't get enough garbage stats vs scrubs to keep playing. 

Archived