Draft Day 3

Louis Friend

Lions currently sit with 2 picks today. A mid round 5th and mid round 7th. 

Any names that intrigue you?

Considering how this draft has gone, my prediction is the Lions draft TE Troy Fumagalli in the 5th and another OL in the 7th. 

Who needs defense?!? 

DT Hurst, NT Settle, DT Fatukasi, DE/OLB Josh Sweat are the guys I'm leaning towards with the Lions first selection. Next to no depth at NT in a 3-4 looks... so Settle is my favorite, Hurst Is likely the most talented, and Fatukasi can provide solid depth year 1. Sweat looks like the edge rusher that can play both stance's without leaving the field. Can also really benefit by sitting behind Ziggy/Kennard.

I'd take a flier on WR Allen Lazzard with our last selection. Just love his size/hands. These last rounds they should forego needs and just look for who they actually think the best football players are. Guys who can contribute even just a little, long-term.

Was looking over my draft notes and our division rivals have done well and are better set up today than the Lions. 

Chicago:

1.8- Roquan Smith, LB

2.39- James Daniels, C

2.51- Anthony Miller, WR

Addressed multiple needs with qualty players. Let the boards fall to them. Have 4 picks left today.

Green Bay:

1.18- Jaire Alexander, CB

2.45- Josh Jackson, CB

3.88- Oren Burks, LB

Gained two of the top five CBs in this draft and a solid LB. Gained a 2019 1st from NO to move down. Have 8 picks remaining today.

Minnesota:

1.30- Mike Hughes, CB

2.62- Brian O'Neill, OT

Got a damn good corner in the first. Probably would have been better suited grabbing their G in the first, Hernandez was on the board. OL dried up by their 2nd pick. But they have 7 remaining picks today.

Detroit:

1.20- Frank Ragnow, C

2.43- Kerryon Johnson, RB

3.82- Tracy Walker, S

Lions traded their fourth rd pick to move up 8 slots to grab a RB projected to go much later. They also grabbed a S in the 3rd who should have gone in the 5th, by his own admission. Lions have only 2 picks remaining today and have ignored their needs at DE, DT, LB.  

I have been man-crushing on Fatukasi since February.  He could be a day-three steal.  Personally, I think the Lions could be be willing to trade a one of their current players to get back into the fourth round to get Fatukasi or Duke Ejiofor.   That would have to happen before the draft starts though.  Conspiracy theory:  Bob Quinn trades Jake Ruddock and drafts another young QB to mold.  It might take more than Ruddock to get an early 4th rd pick Flipping Ruddock for a DT or DE that we really need could work out well for us.

I may just be overthinking things, but I feel that Patricia and Quinn are more focused on soldifying the offense this year. Allowing them to evaluate our current defensive roster this year with the new coaching staff and scheme. Let the take a good look with who they have now and who is going to succeed in this defense. 

I dont know just just me trying to rationalize the situation. 

2 minutes ago, Lionized said:

That would be nice 

American is the only one wort moving. Theo is worth more to us than a 4th. And at this point even though I don't like him I tin is worth keeping I'm just in case there are injuries in training camp. I wouldn't mind the trade but I just don't know if it's worth it. 

27 minutes ago, Millenhater said:

American is the only one wort moving. Theo is worth more to us than a 4th. And at this point even though I don't like him I tin is worth keeping I'm just in case there are injuries in training camp. I wouldn't mind the trade but I just don't know if it's worth it. 

We have 7 running backs right now, we'll probably keep 4. Obviously the new guys (Blount/Johnson) are locks. That leaves Abdullah, Riddick, Washington, Zenner and Green. Riddick and Abdullah make the most money of the 5 and if Quinn wants to add DL in free agency post draft, cutting or moving them to open capspace makes the most sense. None of the 5 would shock me though.

Archived